Fable: The Journey Is On-Rails Fable With Magic Jazz Hands

• 51 results
Posted by Alex (1935 posts) -

Peter Molyneux came out during Microsoft's E3 2011 press conference to unveil Fable: The Journey, a Kinect-exclusive adventure set in the world of Albion that revolves entirely around gestural controls.

The game appears to progress with an on-rails methodology, presenting you with enemies and situations that require you to make specific hand gestures to cast spells, attacks, and the like. The demoing developer made all sorts of wacky movements throughout the demo, launching various magical hadoukens and electric spears and what have you at various evil creatures.

This was one of several Kinect exclusives that were purportedly leaked earlier in the week, lending some credence to that whole thing. Dance Central 2 demo should be forthcoming, I'm guessing.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1935 posts) -

Peter Molyneux came out during Microsoft's E3 2011 press conference to unveil Fable: The Journey, a Kinect-exclusive adventure set in the world of Albion that revolves entirely around gestural controls.

The game appears to progress with an on-rails methodology, presenting you with enemies and situations that require you to make specific hand gestures to cast spells, attacks, and the like. The demoing developer made all sorts of wacky movements throughout the demo, launching various magical hadoukens and electric spears and what have you at various evil creatures.

This was one of several Kinect exclusives that were purportedly leaked earlier in the week, lending some credence to that whole thing. Dance Central 2 demo should be forthcoming, I'm guessing.

Staff
#2 Posted by 2xtreme (37 posts) -

Rails

#3 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

It looks baaad =/

#4 Posted by theswoosh (162 posts) -

i'll be the first to say... BALLS!

#5 Posted by rmanthorp (3854 posts) -

SO BAD!

#6 Edited by PaulKemp (109 posts) -

Looks boring, too kinecty

#7 Posted by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

You ARE Peter's balls.

#8 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

Motion controls...

#9 Posted by VoshiNova (1633 posts) -

Muh Balls

#10 Posted by BrianP (386 posts) -

please please please no one buy this bullshit.

#11 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Peter...*tsk tsk* wonder why no one clapped for you when you appeared?

that's why.....

#12 Posted by DharmaBum (1038 posts) -

Not even an apology for Fable III...

#13 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

This franchise is dead to me.

#14 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

For the love of pete just give me black and white 3!! Fable desperately needs a break.

#15 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@McBEEF said:
For the love of pete just give me black and white 3!! Fable desperately needs a break.
Hell no. At least the Fable series has seen a decent game. Black and White is hopeless.
#16 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

I was interested till I found out it was a on-rail shooter.

#17 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2477 posts) -

There was some interesting stuff in the gesturing controls to manipulate the type of attack but ultimately it still just appeared to be severely limited like most other rail shooters. 

Certainly still recovering from Fable fatigue.

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Peter has become an outspoken person who people listen to for entertainment, as opposed to a person people listen to because they know what they're doing.

#19 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

Oh no Peter... Why?

#20 Posted by Lethalstromboli (6 posts) -

This is freaking pathetic.  Fable 3 was the worst game I accidently beat last year by leaving my console on for 8 hours.  I will not be tricked into this game by the idea of putting it on kinect.  This is a bad franchise.

#21 Posted by GoldenGinge (19 posts) -

R.I.P fable......I loved you and you just tore out my heart.

#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Oh Alex, I love your article titles.

#23 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

looks lame

#24 Posted by Twiggy199 (495 posts) -

OMFG pathetic!!

#25 Posted by Elyhaym (184 posts) -

The game looks very bland, although I will say I kinda dug the spellweaving motion stuff. Now if I could actually get a proper game with that.

#26 Posted by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Peter has become an outspoken person who people listen to for entertainment, as opposed to a person people listen to because they know what they're doing.

So a politician, then?

#27 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

So am I the only one who thought this looked at worst okay?

#28 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

"Peter Molyneux, video game visionary and maker of on-rails Kinect games"

#29 Posted by MeatSim (10737 posts) -

Not what I want from a Fable game.

#30 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

uhhhhhhhhhhgggggg..... 

No thanks.

#31 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

A sadly sedate Peter Molyneux can convince me to drink the Kool-aid this go-around.  

If Microsoft wants to do a rail-shooter, why not reboot Panzer Dragoon Orta?

#32 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

Well this looks decidedly horrible.  I was not impressed with F3...and this looks so much worse.

#33 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

Rail shooters. Uuiugh

#34 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4606 posts) -

I've enjoyed every Fable to date.

What is this shit?

#35 Posted by John_Lawlz (110 posts) -

I used to love fable....but this, COME ON!

#36 Posted by Oullie (59 posts) -

:[ The "on rails" reminds me of the glowing trail. I bet the on rails wont work in the game and your character will manage to some how glitch and go through a few walls.

#37 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2050 posts) -

The spear making and throwing was cool, but other than that...

#38 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Lol just saw Peter in a interview after the event. The guy ask him "this looks kinda Rail...is it open world?" Peter response..it's open as the road will take you...... ....g whiz....peter even you know this game is crap.

#39 Posted by Marokai (2787 posts) -

This only reinforces my belief that it is structurally impossible to make a game of any depth that I, or anyone like me, would like, purely with Kinect controls. Which reduces you to Kinect and controller controls at the same time, at which point.. just use a controller.

#40 Posted by NightSkies (24 posts) -

Microsoft seems damned determined to out dudebro everyone else in the industry. I think I am done with them this gen.

#41 Posted by FritzDude (2249 posts) -

No thanks Peter... You lost me after Fable 3.

#42 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

So terrible.
#43 Posted by theswoosh (162 posts) -

LOLed at the live GTTV fable interview.  Couldn't find anyone saying good things about Fable on twitter so they skipped it and Geoff had to apologize to Peter.

#44 Posted by roguetracer (9 posts) -

Why in god's name do Lionhead keep flogging this Fable dead horse? Have they lost all total creativity in Guildford that they cannot come up with brand new IP?

#45 Posted by Burrobean (58 posts) -
@Lebensbaum I think Fable 3 is why nobody clapped for Peter, but this game will be why nobody claps for him next year. It looked pretty bad. At least the Star Wars game looked even worse, so Lionhead can feel good about something. So sad to see an obviously talented, passionate studio drop the ball again.
#46 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

Why Peter, why did you think this would be a good idea? 
I miss the Fable+2 days.
#47 Posted by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -

Yesterday in the chat I said that Fable needs to stop. Have a guess as to whether or not my position has shifted based on the revelation of what kind of game Fable: The Journey is. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Fable II; Fable III was a (still reasonably entertaining) failure, though. Lionhead have taken over 7 years to try and get the formula right and they still can't truly crack it. In fact, things seem be sliding backwards, and this latest game appears an attempt to scrabble desperately to find any purchase before falling off a cliff. 

I'm all for a new Fable game coming out, but one that's actually had the time, thought and effort that the concept deserves.

#48 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -

.. i don't know what to think

on one hand I should reserve judgement till the final product

on the other hand, its sounds.. i dunno.

#49 Posted by Mike17032 (72 posts) -

Sounds like one of the dumbest fucking things ever. 

And here I had thought that Fable 3 had reached the pinnacle of suckdom, guess they deserve some credit for topping that abortion of a game.

#50 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -

I'm not sure what to think about this yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.