Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Ammo

supernando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By supernando

Hi, I've had Fallout 3 since a week after release. I've not finished the game yet mainly because of other games coming out. I'm upto retreaving the G.E.C.K, I don't know if I'm far into the game or not im guesing I'm most probably not deep into the game yet but one problem I've been having since I got the game is the lack of ammo! I find myself in fire fights constintly running out of ammo and having to go through my inventory searching for a gun that has some left. Is this just part of the game or do I just plain suck at the game? I'm guesing I just suck!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

If you're zooming through the main quest, a lack of ammo is bound to happen. But if you take it slow and do other stuff, you could end up like me with 2000 + rounds of ammunition for every gun and thousands of bottle caps.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Demyx
    @natetodamax said:
    " If you're zooming through the main quest, a lack of ammo is bound to happen. But if you take it slow and do other stuff, you could end up like me with 2000 + rounds of ammunition for every gun and thousands of bottle caps. "
    This. I had the same problem my first playthrough. But on my second I took it really slow and I am doing quite well.
    supernando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By supernando

Hmmm I am flying through a little I supose, when I forst got the game I was exploring the world but for some reason stopped. would you say I'm far into the game?

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monkey523

I can't remember exactly but i would say you're about 2/3 of the way through the main story.  Definitely do more side stuff and you'll end up with alot more ammo/supplies.  also, you've probably heard this a million times but the real value to this game is in the vast number of side missions.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DystopiaX

like people have been saying, side missions and I usually also take the Scavenger perk (I think). It's the one that lets you find more ammo in containers. I'd also collect extra weapons/armor so you can sell it. Then go to moira/Flak and Shrapnel and buy all their ammo. 

Alternatively, put skill points into melee weapons, get the shishkebab and go nuts beating down anyone in your way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

C'mon man, you're a wanderer in the wasteland. You gotta scavenge every place you can find for food, ammo, and all your medical needs. That's what the game is all about. Embrace your inner hobo and ammo will abundantly fall from the heavens.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

I opened every single last box, crate, safe and cash register in that game. So no, I didn't really have that problem.
    Could always go with the melee weapons. They are surprisingly effective!

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo

greatGuero is right.  This game is all about scavenging for... stuff.  Any and all places that have stuff to take are the places you want to be.  Everything is up for grabs in the Wastes so dont think you cant shoot a merchant in the face and take all of his ammo...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

There is a perk that makes ammo more common when you open up lockers/chests or whatever.  This isn't really needed if you explore a lot, but it does make the ammo a non-issue.  I have insane amounts of ammo for any gun I would want to use.  Also keep in mind ammo has no weight so no matter what if an enemy has some pick it up, you never know what ammo a future gun may need.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

I ended up with about 18k of the Gatling Laser ammo when I got to the Citadel, and gave it all to Cross + a Gatling Laser (later Vengeance). Though that was due to abusing a glitch.

But, as other's have said, embrace your inner hobo, look through everything that's search-able, sell the ammo you don't use to buy more of what you do use. Even without the glitch you can easily end up with loads and loads of ammo.

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BrokenCage

I really wouldn't waste a perk on ammo, caps, or experience. You can find tons of each just by playing the game. I generally sell the grenades (cause I don't use them, and you don't want a follower using them) and spend those caps on ammo. To repeat what others have said, scrounging up thing is what Fallout is all about. If you're not exploring for the skillbooks, bobbleheads, and unique items, you're missing the heart and soul of the game.

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nonethewiser

Assuming you have dat cash:
    buy out Flak. wait. Rinse and Repeat.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

This game is now on my "bought it twice" list since I recently picked up the PC GOTY edition because I just couldn't get too far in the 360 version without it losing my attention.  Anyway, I'm only a bit into the game, but I've seen that taking things slow, repairing and then selling everything you can will get you the caps needed to keep your ammo supply adequately filled. 

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mmmslash

Also, the Pitt DLC has a place that lets you turn the ammo that you don't use, into a type that you do use.

I did this to make every bullet in .45 rounds, so I could use the Lincoln Repeater the whole game.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By damswedon

wow really i always had the problem of too much ammo.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

have you been taking ammo out of other guns? you can do that I do believe...

Duskwaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Duskwaith

Loot everything you see.  Or just lose abit of karma for stealing peoples stuff.

I cheated myself abit, Just took load of small arms ammo and scrap metal to The Pitt and Pressed 2k's worth of .44 rounds for the Lincoln Repeater.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn
    @Demyx said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " If you're zooming through the main quest, a lack of ammo is bound to happen. But if you take it slow and do other stuff, you could end up like me with 2000 + rounds of ammunition for every gun and thousands of bottle caps. "
    This. I had the same problem my first playthrough. But on my second I took it really slow and I am doing quite well. "
    Yea, you need to look in all the nooks and crannies of the game. You'll find some really cool places and plenty of loot. Also....... try and visit Evergreen Mills, you won't regret it, some of the best loot in that entire game. (At least for me, it might be random for everyone.)
    jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By jadegl

I explored every location I could find and came up with more ammo than I really needed. I also found that if I depended too much on just one gun I would start to run low, even with scavenging. For those situations you can either use caps to buy from merchants or keep a  few guns on you that use different ammo types and rotate as needed. I go with the Lincoln's repeater, a Chinese assault rifle, and third that I choose as I go, something like a plasma rifle.

Or you can just forgo guns and melee fools in the face.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lowbrow
    @supernando said:
    " Hmmm I am flying through a little I supose, when I forst got the game I was exploring the world but for some reason stopped. would you say I'm far into the game? "
    As far as the vanilla story goes, you don't have too much left to go I don't think...

But yea, if you're at the GECK retrieval mission and are having ammo issues, you're blasting through the main story damn quick. What level are you?

Also, if you're complaining about ammo issues, you're (hopefully) trying to max out one of the gun stats asap - when in combat, always, always, ALWAYS use V.A.T.S as your primary method of taking down enemies. Real time gun fighting in this game will squander precious ammo that can ill afford to be lost, and also, VATS takes every advantage of skill points and extra perks that affect gun use. Shooting real time, does not.
    Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @supernando: 
    do some sidequests and trade as much useless junk you can find for ammo at the gun shops and wandering merchants.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.