Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Do the DLCs change Energy Weapons' usefulness?

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MrCynical

Due to other commitments I'd lost touch with Fallout 3, so I'm going to start again with (at least) the new Brotherhood of Steel DLC. What I need to know is whether the DLCs change the vanilla assumption that Small Guns is a better choice than Energy Weapons. Are there enough energy weaps in Broken Steel to make Energy Weapons a near-equal option to guns? Also, are the other two DLC packs important from an energy weaps point of view?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd say yes.  There are new and interesting energy weapons introduced, and frankly, I thought energy weapons were underrated anyways without the DLC.  Once the (minor spoilers) Enclave start popping up all over the map, there's no shortage of ammo and the weapons do plenty of damage in VATS.  But back on point, yeah, I think the DLC add some variety and flavor to the energy weapons.  I'm still not convinced I want to do a runthrough with Big Weapons yet, but that's slowly changing.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ket87

Energy Weapons were always better I thought, even without DLC you got some powerful  energy weapons. Sadly its the lack of variety not the usefulness people look at. They see 3 or 4 guns + unique weapons compared to the dozen/s or so of small guns and so oh yeah I'll go small guns. Not even looking at the fact by end game your drowning in MF and E Cells and the unique energy weapons are some of the most versatile in the game. Hell if you throw in DLC all you need is Operation Anchorage and you'll get the ony gun you'll ever need the Gauss Rifle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.