Do you mostly play in 1st person or 3rd person view?

• 90 results
#1 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
#2 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Personally I play mostly in 3rd person as I like to see my dude (atm I have a Richard Dawkins look - a - like scientist dude :D )

#3 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -

I have played through the entire game three times now.  I went into third person maybe once or twice.  Just not useful in my viewpoint.

#4 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@lebkin said:
" I have played through the entire game three times now.  I went into third person maybe once or twice.  Just not useful in my viewpoint. "
TBH that's how I used to feel, especially because I was so used to FP after Oblivion. However I now seem to be even better in combat in 3rd person as it give you a better and broader view
#5 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

The game looks and feels so retarded in third person. Mainly because the animations in that game are shit, and the less you see the less you're drawn out of the immersion.

Not only that, but I play without a HUD and without a crosshair to make things really lively. The thing I've noticed out of the people I've talked to about this game is that it seems there's like a dozen different ways to play it.

#6 Posted by mordukai (7141 posts) -

I was reading interview before this game came out and I remember Bethesda saying they redone the 3rd person view and made it better but that was not the case. for some reason they just can't pull off 3rd person view properly. 

#7 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" The game looks and feels so retarded in third person.
I don't agree. If you zoom the camera pretty close to your character and have an over the shoulder view like in Resi 4 the game looks really sweet and better in 3rd person IMO.
#8 Posted by Whiplash (106 posts) -

In third person it looks like you are ice skating.

#9 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

I play in first-person. Because I'd rather not see the gameworld scroll under my character's feet like some kind of post-apocalyptic treadmill. 

#10 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I like third person best. I think it gives you more sence of whats around you.

#11 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" I play in first-person. Because I'd rather not see the gameworld scroll under my character's feet like some kind of post-apocalyptic treadmill.  "
Well like I said before try zooming it in a bit more on third person and you won't experience this.
#12 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

See, this is the first RPG I'll ever beat from a first person perspective. (I never got through Morrowind or Oblivion), to me, singleplayer RPGs should be from this perspective because you are trying to BUILD a perspective (that is to say, you are trying to role-play if you are playing it like a role-playing game.) And my character always looks dumb because I just put on whatever gives me the stat bonuses I need. (When I'm fighting, it's battle armour and a helmet, when I'm talking it's naughty nightware and Button's Wig, when I'm lockpicking it's the ute suit, when I'm healing it's the medical gear, when I'm hacking a computer or traversing thick radiation, it's that fire-ant guy's clothes.) Also, the models in that game are pretty crappy. I've noticed very little variation in the faces and voices. It's the most disappointing aspect of the game (aside from the weak-ass navigation).

#13 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" See, this is the first RPG I'll ever beat from a first person perspective. (I never got through Morrowind or Oblivion), to me, singleplayer RPGs should be from this perspective because you are trying to BUILD a perspective (that is to say, you are trying to role-play if you are playing it like a role-playing game.) And my character always looks dumb because I just put on whatever gives me the stat bonuses I need. (When I'm fighting, it's battle armour and a helmet, when I'm talking it's naughty nightware and Button's Wig, when I'm lockpicking it's the ute suit, when I'm healing it's the medical gear, when I'm hacking a computer or traversing thick radiation, it's that fire-ant guy's clothes.) Also, the models in that game are pretty crappy. I've noticed very little variation in the faces and voices. It's the most disappointing aspect of the game (aside from the weak-ass navigation). "
Oh well I guess that's where we differ then, because I wear clothes depending on how the suit the character I'm making ie right now I'm doing Richard Dawkins and I plan on doing a Michael Jackson next, so I don't change clothes even if I'm getting pwned by ghouls
#14 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Yeah, next time through I plan on making a character named Pete who uses a long sharp knife. He starts chopping, and doesn't know when to stop. All the residents of Megaton and Rivet City better watch their wives because Pete will not care whose meat he chops. (In fact, you might go so far as to say he'll keep hacking and whacking and smacking, he'll keep hacking and whacking and smacking, he'll just hack, whack, and chop that meat.)

If he doesn't look like a total fool, I might play in third. But I still think I'll use first most of the time anyway. Inebriation and third person don't go well together. (Not in Fallout at least.)

#15 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
" Yeah, next time through I plan on making a character named Pete who uses a long sharp knife. He starts chopping, and doesn't know when to stop. All the residents of Megaton and Rivet City better watch their wives because Pete will not care whose meat he chops. (In fact, you might go so far as to say he'll keep hacking and whacking and smacking, he'll keep hacking and whacking and smacking, he'll just hack, whack, and chop that meat.)If he doesn't look like a total fool, I might play in third. But I still think I'll use first most of the time anyway. Inebriation and third person don't go well together. (Not in Fallout at least.) "
Well done, that was awesome dude.
#16 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

First-person, although it isn't that much better than the atrocious third-person perspective.

#17 Posted by MKHavoc (1306 posts) -

The animations are garbage, so I always play in first person.

#18 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I only use third-person to look at my guy when changing outfits.

#19 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

I actually see my entire real life from an over-the-shoulder, third-person perspective.

#20 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I pretty much do first person whenever i'm inside or in a firefight, but i like the third person view while treking the wastes. The Reilly's Rangers armor looks pretty great. Normally I wouldn't play a first person game, but Fallout 3 is way too good to pass up just because of something like that. 

#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I like to think of myself as open-minded, but how can you stand the third person perspective. It's harder to aim, it really makes the game look ugly, and shows off the awful animations. 

#22 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

First person, the the third person perspective doesn't feel right for me.

#23 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I have only played in first-person view.

#24 Posted by Blair (2501 posts) -

Third person view is absolutely janked and slippery (as mentioned before).  Third person perspective is only useful to see your sweet power armor.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Kombat said:
" I actually see my entire real life from an over-the-shoulder, third-person perspective. "
imo, that would actually be extremely badass. lol.
#26 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -
@Blair said:
"Third person view is absolutely janked and slippery (as mentioned before).  Third person perspective is only useful to see your sweet power armor."

Aggreed
#27 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I always go first-person. The third-person just doesn't look right.

#28 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -

People actually play in 3rd person? Wow I find that very surprising it just seems plain wrong to me

#29 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" ... how can you stand the third person perspective. It's harder to aim, it really makes the game look ugly, and shows off the awful animations.  "
Harder to aim? It makes it easier to aim IMO! Just try it for one day and see if you agree with me. Keep the camera on 3rd person  for one play through and keep the camera pretty zoomed in so you can't see your characters legs.
#30 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I played the Vault 112 simulation with it in third person and with the HUD turned off just because it was so different from the rest of the game. Beyond that, no thanks.

#31 Posted by McRaspy (3 posts) -

I generally play in 3rd person, but I keep it zoomed as an "over the shoulder" type thing. I genuinely believe that if Bethesda made this view default for 3rd person more people would use it.

#32 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I can only play this game in 1st person. I have zoomed out a few times to see my look, but I never engage in combat or walk far with third person view engaged.

#33 Posted by KME93 (206 posts) -

I always go first person I only go third to mess around, get a bigger view of the wasteland, or to beat a dead body

#34 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

the game basically isn't playable in 3rd person.

#35 Posted by McRaspy (3 posts) -

It is once you zoom the camera in.

#36 Posted by pekarn (86 posts) -

I usually use third person when exploring or talking to people and then go into first person for fights

#37 Posted by NateDogg (465 posts) -

I said 1st person but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy or play 3rd persons.

Intresting topic though because I have a friend who dislikes FPS, and he keeps saying how all shooters look the same.. :S
But this is coming from a guy who thinks all variations of Street Fighter are the same. But his argument is that he can't see himself in FPS view. He likes to see his character in the game.. meh.  haha we all have our tastes..
#38 Posted by Rapture (265 posts) -

third person felt kinda weird when it comes to combat

#39 Posted by Atlas (2431 posts) -

Who would ever play that game in third person view? I don't even know why Bethesda even put it in. It's such a terrible way to play that game. I mean, to each their own, but, just, no.

#40 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

I didn't know you could 'Play' the game in third person.

#41 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -

If you play the game in third person you don't deserve to live

#42 Posted by NoDeath (798 posts) -

3rd person looks like crap, the way the camera works just isn't right for it, and as soon as power armour was available, that was all I wore so there wasn't anything interesting to look at on my character. 1st person is just better IMO.

#43 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3702 posts) -
@nail1080 said:
" Personally I play mostly in 3rd person as I like to see my dude (atm I have a Richard Dawkins look - a - like scientist dude :D ) "
The 3rd person view is completely broken. I dont see how any one could play like that.
#44 Posted by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -

I tried to use 3rd for a resident evil like view while fighting feral ghouls, did not work

#45 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @nail1080 said:
" Personally I play mostly in 3rd person as I like to see my dude (atm I have a Richard Dawkins look - a - like scientist dude :D ) "
The 3rd person view is completely broken. I dont see how any one could play like that. "
Nope really it's not, just as long as you don't zoom out too much!
#46 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

The 3rd person view is fine, for me it is anyway. Sure it looks like your dude is skating if you have it zoomed out far, but even then I found it to be ok. I much prefer the 3rd person view when walking across the wasteland.

#47 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

the game is played in the first person and viewed in third

#48 Posted by senrat (319 posts) -

I hate third person view your guy has some terrible animations.  And zooming in to over the shoulder helps a little but it still doest feel right.  Third person view feels like someone made a mod to allow a first person game to go into third person view.  I sometimes roam the wastland in third person just for fun but when the bullets start flying its back to 1st

#49 Posted by Griffinhollow (48 posts) -

I play in First Person, mainly because Third Person feels like I'm playing as some sort of stalker and not my character. Besides, near the end of the game, I'm in Power Armor so there's no point in looking at my character (Except for awesome screenshots).

#50 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

In my 130+ hours of playing this game, I've played only in first person.  With this handy little re-animation mod for the pc, I've been playing a ton more in third person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.