Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Excessive tearing in 360 version?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I had the game freeze four times on me before getting out of the Vault - along with major screen tearing and visible graphical glitches & artifacts.  I'm talking textures flashing in and out, "rays" extending from the middle of a room out to the corners, and more.  I have always had my 360 set to 1080p since that update was first made available and I've never had to reduce it to 720p before. 

I just set the dashboard to 720p and it definitely seems to have reduced the severity of the tearing, but it's still there.  I have a practically new console hooked up to a 52" Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD via HDMI and have no issues at all with any other games.  Even in 720p, tearing and artifacts in the world seem to be excessive.  In the first city, the first NPC I talk to has a "ray" of polygons extending out in front of him whichever direction he looks and it won't go away.

Anyone else getting tearing like this on an HDTV?  Many of the reviews kept talking about how awe-inspiring it was when you first exited the Vault and came out into the wastelands, but I was more in shock at the lack of quality control in the environment.  Talk about ruining immersion.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

wow this is strange, wonder if these issues are the same as those found in the ps3 version? they sound similar (graphical artifacts, tearing etc) 

Im picking up my ps3 copy on friday so if theres anything similar ill let you know, - aint the 360 version i know but if the same things are going on it may just be the norm for the console variants
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

That sounds pretty bad, has any reviewer touched on this? It really does sound like that would be ruining the immersion a lot. 

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jNerd
    MB said:
    "I had the game freeze four times on me before getting out of the Vault - along with major screen tearing and visible graphical glitches & artifacts.  I'm talking textures flashing in and out, "rays" extending from the middle of a room out to the corners, and more.  I have always had my 360 set to 1080p since that update was first made available and I've never had to reduce it to 720p before. 

I just set the dashboard to 720p and it definitely seems to have reduced the severity of the tearing, but it's still there.  I have a practically new console hooked up to a 52" Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD via HDMI and have no issues at all with any other games.  Even in 720p, tearing and artifacts in the world seem to be excessive.  In the first city, the first NPC I talk to has a "ray" of polygons extending out in front of him whichever direction he looks and it won't go away.

Anyone else getting tearing like this on an HDTV?  Many of the reviews kept talking about how awe-inspiring it was when you first exited the Vault and came out into the wastelands, but I was more in shock at the lack of quality control in the environment.  Talk about ruining immersion."
    Dude it might just be the 1080p because I've been running it on 1080i on a 57'' Sony (via composite) & it's beautiful. I'd suggest trying that & seeing if you yield positive results =)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike

Do you mean component?  480i is the maximum resolution over composite. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

Do you mean component?  480i is the maximum resolution over composite.  I could try 1080i but my TV would deinterlace it automatically into 1080p anyway, I guess it's worth a shot though.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By suneku

Have you tried it on another console or TV? Maybe it's a bad copy. My copy is still in transit from gamefly so I'll let you know if it happens too since we almost have to same TV.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

I guess I could try it on my plasma downstairs, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of moving my 360.  It may be easier to just go exchange my copy of the game for a new one.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jNerd
    MB said:
    "Do you mean component?  480i is the maximum resolution over composite.  I could try 1080i but my TV would deinterlace it automatically into 1080p anyway, I guess it's worth a shot though."
    Ya I meant component, roflmao....
    <~~~n00b lulz
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_

I'm playing on a 32" Toshiba 720p over component and I've actually found that the game is awesomely crisp and smooth. I occasionally see artifacts in the distance on those red water towers in the wasteland; that has happened to me maybe once or twice in the 4 or 5 hours I've played so far. That's a weird issue to have though; and a terrible one, because the game looks beautiful on my screen. I would definitely exchange a copy, and if that doesn't work, I dunno.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

I haven't heard anything about that from my friends who got the 360 version...I'll ask them if thats occured, that's very unfortunate. I'm playing on PC so I have no idea about any of this, the draw distance on max settings and detail you see so so far off in the distance is amazing, only graphical glitch I saw for about 5 seconds was the water in one area turned a orange color when I got close, like it was being overlapped by some out of place texture, then as soon as I stepped back a few feet and approached again, it was all fine. You should definitely try to get a new copy...but ultimately even if an annoyance, if that doesn't work , trying the other TV is probably worth it to at least make sure it isn't anything with how the system is outputting it, or the game itself once more.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well I doubt the PC version will have these issues...it better not, the few graphical short comings I have read about made no mention of this.

Good luck with finding a remedy, I know I would hold off playing if it was happening to me.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By lamegame621

I've had the game freeze on me twice over the past day..concerns me a bit....though i have been playing it in 10-hour stretches :P. I'm playing it through a 1440X900 comp. monitor via VGA. just a few tearing issues but not as bad as some other games. (damn you BF:Bad Company!)

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Relys

That sounds like you're 360 is dieing.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The game has frozen on my brother three times now on 360. We don't have a big setup for our system, though, so the graphics seem alright. Sucks, though.

Also, despite what I've said in the past, I actually like the game even if the shooting is totally ass.
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By giyanks22
    brukaoru said:
    "That sounds pretty bad, has any reviewer touched on this? It really does sound like that would be ruining the immersion a lot. "
    It's funny that you mentioned that, because I felt that Fallout 3 was going to have some glitches, and that is why this game didn't thrill me before hand. I'm still going to buy it.
    DeusExMathias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By DeusExMathias

I noticed a lot of screen tearing on my 52" Mitsubishi DLP running thru HDMI at 720p.  It's a problem that's popped up in other games no matter what the input method, but goes away after a few seconds.  This time, I had to switch my TV to the cable box and back before it went away.  That was annoying.  I've been through a few 360s and I'm really paranoid about it going out on me again. (*knock on wood*) It sounds like a common enough problem that there may be a patch in the near future.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47

32" 1080i vizio. And it looks great, no problems at all. I am thinking you got a shitty copy.

thedukeof74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thedukeof74

The Monitor has nothing to do with it, They did use V-Sync while making the game......................this pisses me the Fuk off. They should give us consumers a choice to toggle V-Sync on or Off. Get that Patch out Bethasoft

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.