Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 18 Minute Demo (1up)

Nexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nexus

!up recently posted a sit-down playthrough with one of the lead designers who gives a nice insight into some mechanics of the game including the first (to my knowledge) look at the full map and the scale of the game, which is a lot bigger than i anticipated! I assumed the game was entirely based within the city limits of Washington but it seems at least 70% of the map is the wastelands. Excellent.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/20175

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By jaqen_hghar

While I see some good things here, I also see a lot of bad. I am afraid it will feel more like Oblivion than Fallout. I am sure it will be a great game, but not a great Fallout game.

I for one will never use any nuclear-weapons. And what's up with the Enclave? Oh well.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Termite

I'll check it out in a bit, thanks for the post

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By xplodedd

thanks man, i was looking for some footage.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DaveF

I'll watch the video just now. So far, I think it looks awesome. I've never played a Fallout game before though, so maybe it isn't what Fallout fans were hoping.

Nexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nexus
    Durandir said:
    "While I see some good things here, I also see a lot of bad. I am afraid it will feel more like Oblivion than Fallout. I am sure it will be a great game, but not a great Fallout game.

I for one will never use any nuclear-weapons. And what's up with the Enclave? Oh well.
    "
    Thing to remember is that not only is Fallout 3 based on the east coast whereas the others have been heavily focused on the west but this is also a good 120+ years after the apocalypse. Imagine what kind of progress the remnants of society have made and how differently these cultures on the east coast have aged to those of the west. I haven't done much research into the mythos of Fallout 3 but I imagine the Enclave are a politically-driven faction that control what remains of the Washington area, seeing as it was the political hotspot of America in pre-war time. Also, those gunships were seen in another form in Fallout 2 so the continuity is there.

I trust in Bethesda, they wouldn't have taken one step without thinking about how it would affect the brand of Fallout.
    SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlayingShogun

Thank you for the information Nexus

Raspberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Raspberry

Nice :)

Yatesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Yatesy

Nice one, I love these types of vids- keep 'em coming!

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DarkLegend

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By jaqen_hghar
    Nexus said:
    "Thing to remember is that not only is Fallout 3 based on the east coast whereas the others have been heavily focused on the west but this is also a good 120+ years after the apocalypse. Imagine what kind of progress the remnants of society have made and how differently these cultures on the east coast have aged to those of the west. I haven't done much research into the mythos of Fallout 3 but I imagine the Enclave are a politically-driven faction that control what remains of the Washington area, seeing as it was the political hotspot of America in pre-war time. Also, those gunships were seen in another form in Fallout 2 so the continuity is there.

I trust in Bethesda, they wouldn't have taken one step without thinking about how it would affect the brand of Fallout.
    "

Spoiler alert for Fallout and Fallout 2!

Well, I am a huge fan of Fallout and Fallout 2, so I know who the Enclave is. I also know that they were most likely close to wiped out in Fallout 2, since their main base got blown to bits, together with the President. That is why I wonder why they are there.

The usage of nuclear weapons is grossly out of tune with the Fallout feeling. Remember, the world was ruined because of nuclear weapons. Yet in this game you can blow up the energy cell in cars, causing a nuclear blast. You can get a nuclear bomb launcher. The whole Megaton thing is in line with Fallout mythos, but all of the other nuclear weapons etc... it ruins the whole thing.

Cause here you have a post-nuclear world, where you probably will see at least a dozen nuclear explosions before you beat the game. While in Fallout and Fallout 2 you had a total of two bombs. Both which ironically saved the world.

But as I said. I saw some good things. The Rock-It-Launcher seemed fun. Mostly because you can build it yourself. Combat seems to be bloody, but it doesn't feel like Fallout anymore. I think I am going to miss the old combat system.

I think it will be a good game, but not a good Fallout game. But hey, they ruined Oblivion, so this has a good chance of being ruined as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.