Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: Console or PC?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm going to shortly buy Fallout 3 (finally!). However, I don't know whether I should get it for my 360 or my PC. The obvious answer is, of course, the PC. However, the only computer I have that can run it can only do it at about medium-low to low graphics on a very small screen, whereas on my 360 I can have it running on a 32 inch screen. Is it worth it to buy it on PC  if I can't run it that well or should I just get it on the 360?

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By JB16

It's all up to your preference. Do you want shitty graphics but great mods and re-playability, or great graphics and no mods.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dedodido
    @JB16 said:
    " It's all up to your preference. Do you want shitty graphics but great mods and re-playability, or great graphics and no mods. "
    Well... that's arguable. The console graphics would probably very similar, just blown up over a big screen (which, in my opinion, would look worse).
    I say PC, for the better controls, the potential to have much better graphics on a different machine in the future, and mods.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

If your not willing to get heavy into mods and stuff, I would suggest console. Mods are a bit of a hassle to get working sometimes, but are totally awesome. But as was mentioned by @Dedodido: if you ever have a better PC set up down the road, you'll get a better experience on PC. Plus, with steam, you'll never lose the game. But if you aren't sure you'll make use of mods and the other benefits of the PC, then go console. It's a similar experience either way. I first played Fallout on consoles and it played pretty good. If your PC can't really run it well, console might be the way to go. Although if Fallout is your kind of game, you might want to think about investing a few hundred dollars in a decent gaming PC.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

It really depends on your willingness to mod stuff. And most issues would be easier fixed on the PC, still, it doesn't really matter that much.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By perilator666

even with setting on low the pc version can look much better with mods. also the game itself (not unlike oblivion) is severely broken and can be fixed with mods.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By DaemonBlack

If you have any interest in mods, get the PC version. If not, the console version. For the record I can only run FO3 at medium and it looks just as good if not better than the 360 version in my opinion.

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By jasondaplock

The size of your screen and the graphical fidelity of things on said screen are important in blockbuster-type titles--Fallout 3 is not one these. Twenty minutes in, it would be strange if you noticed or even cared about the graphics anymore. And this is coming from someone who really, really likes his graphics.

The only case where it would be an issue is for frame rate drops or actual fidelity loss. If you are scraping the minimum specs then by all means avoid the PC version, but otherwise the PC equivalent of any multi-platform title is going to be the way to go, especially if you ever plan on upgrading your rig. If you like, you can plug in a wired 360 controller and the experience becomes identical (for singleplay anyway). This is provided the port isn't utterly broken, of course, but that is why you do your five minutes of homework before you buy games. In Fallout 3's case, it's equally fucked on all platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-592be1c2327fc
    deactivated-592be1c2327fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through Fallout 3 on the PS3 and on the PC about 8 times.

I can definitively say that you CAN make the PC version of Fallout 3 look MUCH better than anything possible on the console.

There are USER made high-resolution texture replacements for one thing, that change the fuzzy and vague textures of the console into real-world texture images. Just check out NMC's texture replacers.  
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12056
                                     Using it is AS EASY as copy and paste into the correct folder. I would recommend using the performance version for maximum stability.

I also love to edit the draw distances in the game. You can radically increase the distance at which light and objects appear in the game using the Fallout Mod Manager .

Modding the game is almost more fun than playing it, once you get the hang of it, and allows TRUE roleplaying as well.
    Using a simple mod, you can make raiders friendly to you, which means you can ignore the main quest altogether, and just pretend you are a raider, hang out with other raiders, and defend against super mutants or the enclave. 
    With another mod, you can play as an Enclave leader, and lead the Enclave into battle.
    The Animated Prostitution mod LETS YOU BE A PIMP for crying out loud!!! 
                      YOU CAN'T PLAY AS A PIMP ON THE CONSOLE!!!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

Mods aren't really that much of a hassle but you do need to install the mod manager, archive invalidation and a few other programs to get them working right.  In Fallout 3, when your mod loads is very important (much more than in Elder Scrolls) so there's going to be some trial and error.  If you go with PC, visit the Fallout3Nexus and look at their list of the top 100 to see what's popular.   Most of the descriptions will tell you what other mods are needed to run properly.   You can tweek the settings in Fallout 3 a lot too so that perhaps the scenery isn't so vibrant but your character is and such. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Why are people recommending higher texture resolution mods and other graphics enhancing mods when the OP has established he can barely run the game as it is? Personally, I'd rather see the game without all the graphic details missing. You kinda lose the atmosphere of the game.  

Mods are great, but it doesn't make sense if you just have a tiny screen and are running it on low. 

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play it on console, but it would probably be better to get it for PC. Even if the graphics aren't as good as you'd like.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Kyreo

Personal Computer.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#14  Edited By tearhead

Unless you care about mods it doesn't really matter. Since you don't have a PC capable of producing an experience equal to the 360, I would choose the console.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno
    @JB16 said:

" It's all up to your preference. Do you want shitty graphics but great mods and re-playability, or great graphics and no mods. "

The fuck are you talking about? PC's graphics blow the console ones out of the water, even at medium settings.  

The PC version of FO3 is strictly better than the console version, helped in large part by the modding community. He can also set the graphics higher whenever he gets a newer computer. 
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By blackbird415
    @Geno said:
    " @JB16 said:

The fuck are you talking about? PC's graphics blow the console ones out of the water, even at medium settings.   The PC version of FO3 is strictly better than the console version, helped in large part by the modding community. He can also set the graphics higher whenever he gets a newer computer.  "
    The fuck are you talking about?  oh wait.   Your right =P
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

PC version's objectively better. Play the console version "if your preference" is to play the lesser version.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By JB16
    @blackbird415 said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @JB16 said:

The fuck are you talking about? PC's graphics blow the console ones out of the water, even at medium settings.   The PC version of FO3 is strictly better than the console version, helped in large part by the modding community. He can also set the graphics higher whenever he gets a newer computer.  "
    The fuck are you talking about?  oh wait.   Your right =P "
    Did you even read the thread? The guy says he has a shitty pc so the graphics wont be maxed out. REEAADD!!
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yinstarrunner

PC.  The graphics in Fallout 3 aren't really good in the first place, so it doesn't really matter.

But, you know how sometimes you're playing a game, and you think to yourself, "man, I would like this so much more if (this) was more like (that) or I could do (this)"?
    Well, in Fallout 3 PC,  you have the power to change it!
    You can basically make Fallout 3 into the GAME YOU WANT IT TO BE.
    There are THOUSANDS of mods for it.
     The reason I'm emphasizing mods so much is because it's very rare for you to have that level of freedom over your game.
    And Bethesda games are all about freedom, right?

Carestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Carestrike

PC. 
    PC PC PC PC PC. 

Doesn't matter about the graphics, I ran it on low for the longest times & the difference between low & high settings is marginal at best. 
    The mods absolutely make this game. They fix almost everything that was wrong with the game at release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.