Fallout 3 is going to take some time..

Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -
Fallout 3.
I just now realized this after spending my first evening with the game. I just realized I havent gotten anywhere at all in the first 4 hours of effective gameplay. I just now looked at the world map and went "ooh..ok..I will probably not have the time this fall to complete Fallout 3". Not only is it big, its very slow moving. Dialogues are long, choices are many, traveling is slow and battles can be both hard and dragged out, even for small critters. I went from being super pumped up about the game in the introduction to just now turning it off and going "ok, yea, I will probably not have the patience nor the time to get through a whole game of this".
Now dont get me wrong. They´ve made wonders with the Oblivion engine, dialogues are fantastic, characters are many and good and graphics are pumped waay up from Oblivion. The presentation is superb and the attention to detail is stunning. Its a well produced game and it reminds me of Oblivion and Fallout at the same time which is an awesome combination in my book. Im loving every second. But somewhere deep inside of me there is a voice screaming "noooo, its too muuuuch". On top of it I just finished two playthroughs in a row in Fable 2 and at least one of them was me completing every sidetask in the whole game and buying every building in Albion to build up my real estate empire.
So Im going into Fallout 3 with my RPG endurance completely depleted which is NOT the best thing to do.
Before I opened it and put the disc into my 360 I was all like "bah, how bad can it be, they say its smaller than Oblivion and I can probably drop it down to Easy and blow through it". Yea, not gonna happen.
And what I really dont like is that if you set the difficulty to Easy or Very Easy you get less XP per kill so playing on Very Easy means you will never level up, and whats the fun in that?! They used the same system in Oblivion (and maybe even Morrowind if I remember correcly) and I hated it back then aswell.
If you need to lower the difficulty for some reason, (Maybe you want to breeze through it or maybe you´re not as hardcore as the most hardcore RPGers) it means they will punish you and let you level up much slower. Half the fun of an RPG is leveling up.

I want that Hat.
Another thing that dosent click with me so far is that you have to spend hilarious amounts of money on repairing equipment. Eventually your pistols will break down in the middle of a firefight just because you didnt spend all that money on repairing it. Weapons will do less damage when they degrade in durability and armor will take less damage.
Since you are constantly picking up new stuff I feel you have to repair stuff waaay to much. But we´ll see how it will pan out.
Combat works well without the VATS system if you´re using a melee weapon (hello Oblivion) but not at all if youre using a gun. Clumsy dosent even begin to describe it.
Now I hold Oblivion as one of THE best RPG´s of all time but will I have the patience to complete Fallout in this hectic gaming season. I will certainly try!
But I think I can finally establish that I am more of a fantasy geek than a post nuclear guy. I like to see green trees, cozy villages, swamps and the occasional castle.
The Wasteland in Fallout is called a wasteland for a reason and coming direcly from Fable 2 where every screen is filled with bushes, flowers, grass and incredible art it feels even emptier. On the other hand, its Fallout, and thinking back on the old games they included alof of sections that were just plain wastelands.
#1 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -
Fallout 3.
I just now realized this after spending my first evening with the game. I just realized I havent gotten anywhere at all in the first 4 hours of effective gameplay. I just now looked at the world map and went "ooh..ok..I will probably not have the time this fall to complete Fallout 3". Not only is it big, its very slow moving. Dialogues are long, choices are many, traveling is slow and battles can be both hard and dragged out, even for small critters. I went from being super pumped up about the game in the introduction to just now turning it off and going "ok, yea, I will probably not have the patience nor the time to get through a whole game of this".
Now dont get me wrong. They´ve made wonders with the Oblivion engine, dialogues are fantastic, characters are many and good and graphics are pumped waay up from Oblivion. The presentation is superb and the attention to detail is stunning. Its a well produced game and it reminds me of Oblivion and Fallout at the same time which is an awesome combination in my book. Im loving every second. But somewhere deep inside of me there is a voice screaming "noooo, its too muuuuch". On top of it I just finished two playthroughs in a row in Fable 2 and at least one of them was me completing every sidetask in the whole game and buying every building in Albion to build up my real estate empire.
So Im going into Fallout 3 with my RPG endurance completely depleted which is NOT the best thing to do.
Before I opened it and put the disc into my 360 I was all like "bah, how bad can it be, they say its smaller than Oblivion and I can probably drop it down to Easy and blow through it". Yea, not gonna happen.
And what I really dont like is that if you set the difficulty to Easy or Very Easy you get less XP per kill so playing on Very Easy means you will never level up, and whats the fun in that?! They used the same system in Oblivion (and maybe even Morrowind if I remember correcly) and I hated it back then aswell.
If you need to lower the difficulty for some reason, (Maybe you want to breeze through it or maybe you´re not as hardcore as the most hardcore RPGers) it means they will punish you and let you level up much slower. Half the fun of an RPG is leveling up.

I want that Hat.
Another thing that dosent click with me so far is that you have to spend hilarious amounts of money on repairing equipment. Eventually your pistols will break down in the middle of a firefight just because you didnt spend all that money on repairing it. Weapons will do less damage when they degrade in durability and armor will take less damage.
Since you are constantly picking up new stuff I feel you have to repair stuff waaay to much. But we´ll see how it will pan out.
Combat works well without the VATS system if you´re using a melee weapon (hello Oblivion) but not at all if youre using a gun. Clumsy dosent even begin to describe it.
Now I hold Oblivion as one of THE best RPG´s of all time but will I have the patience to complete Fallout in this hectic gaming season. I will certainly try!
But I think I can finally establish that I am more of a fantasy geek than a post nuclear guy. I like to see green trees, cozy villages, swamps and the occasional castle.
The Wasteland in Fallout is called a wasteland for a reason and coming direcly from Fable 2 where every screen is filled with bushes, flowers, grass and incredible art it feels even emptier. On the other hand, its Fallout, and thinking back on the old games they included alof of sections that were just plain wastelands.
#2 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

You'll find that even with the size of everything and how 'dead' it seems, there is alot packed in together so where it takes a long time to get from point 'A' to point 'B', you'll also find points 'C' through 'L' every five minutes. I find this more enjoyable then Oblivion's "there's lots of space, but most of it is empty..." Either way both games are incredible.

#3 Posted by Zoulpain (12 posts) -

Main story took me 14 hrs or so, but there is over 50 hrs of side quests and exploring

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.