Fallout 3 or Oblivion

• 109 results
#1 Posted by lolicanseeyou (525 posts) -
#2 Posted by Daveyo520 (7010 posts) -

Fallout 3.
#3 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

You didn't have to make a poll for this because the other guy didn't. That's duplicating threads.

#4 Posted by DystopiaX (5364 posts) -

FO3

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12138 posts) -

Oblivion. Significantly less jank plus significantly less wandering around equals a better experience.

#6 Posted by JakeTaylor (307 posts) -

Fallout 3. Mainly beacause of the perks system which allowed for a more enjoyable experience than Oblivion.

#7 Posted by Siepher (255 posts) -

Fallout 3.

#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Oblivion... I lived in that game for a long long time. I only played Fallout 3.

#9 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

Fallout 3 would be the better choice here for me personally, Oblivion bored me to tears while Fallout 3 is one of my most played games of all time =)

#10 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Fallout 3 is a good game, but it ain't got nothing on Oblivion. 

#11 Posted by Phototropic (68 posts) -

Oblivion.  I never got into Fallout 3 as it didn't seem RPG enough for my tastes.

#12 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Fallout 3. It felt far more immersive

#13 Posted by kaaaaaaahn (339 posts) -

i loved the perk system but felt it needed more variation 

#14 Posted by lolicanseeyou (525 posts) -
@Claude said:
" Oblivion... I lived in that game for a long long time. I only played Fallout 3. "
LOL I love u <3 not in a gay way, but u are so full of wisdom
#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@lolicanseeyou said:
" @Claude said:
" Oblivion... I lived in that game for a long long time. I only played Fallout 3. "
LOL I love u <3 not in a gay way, but u are so full of wisdom "
I'm not so sure. I played Oblivion on my PC and Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360. Who knows? Maybe I would have liked Fallout 3 better on the PC.

Maybe another poll is in order. Did you play Fallout 3 on a console or pc?
#16 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Fallout 3 is more innovative IMHO. The use of perks, radiation poisoning, crippled limbs are all pretty cool. But the art design is what stands out. I have both and beat Oblivion. Currently working through Fallout 3, and because of what I mentioned, I'm liking it a bit more.

#17 Posted by lolicanseeyou (525 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @lolicanseeyou said:
" @Claude said:
LOL I love u <3 not in a gay way, but u are so full of wisdom "
I'm not so sure. I played Oblivion on my PC and Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360. Who knows? Maybe I would have liked Fallout 3 better on the PC. Maybe another poll is in order. Did you play Fallout 3 on a console or pc? "
console, I wish I had a gaming pc : (

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

Fallout 3. Despite about three different attempts to get into Oblivion (two on console and one on PC) I just had a horrible time with it for some reason. When I started Fallout 3 my hopes weren't high after my experience with Oblivion but I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and am still playing it today.

#19 Posted by zombie2011 (5055 posts) -

Oblivion, more colorful and a better world to just be in.

#20 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I chose Fallout 3 but they are both AMAZING games. You must play them both.

#21 Posted by Jai92 (25 posts) -

I only chose Fallout 3 because it's the only one I've played :D 

Will get into Oblivion once I'm finished with Orange Box though!

#22 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@JakeTaylor said:
" Fallout 3. Mainly beacause of the perks system which allowed for a more enjoyable experience than Oblivion. "
How does the conferred bonuses of classes in Oblivion differ from perks?
#23 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i haven't played oblivion nearly as much as fallout 3, but i like the setting of fallout a lot more, so with that i'll have to go with fallout 3

#24 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I had a horrible experience with the PS3 version of Oblivion, so much DLC missed. So I choose Fallout 3.

#25 Posted by yakov456 (1925 posts) -

Oh no FO3 is winning? Oblivion!

#26 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

I only own Oblivion, but I've played both and I love what they try to do.  

Which one anyone is going to like better depends on individual preference in setting and aesthetics, or perhaps whether or not you like Fallout's shooting.
#27 Posted by lmenzol (270 posts) -

oblivion here's why. the leveling system is way better, more diverse environments (although i do like the fallout wasteland), interchangable clothing and armor sets like assigning specifice types of gloves or boots to the character, and swords magic and bow and arrows are just cooler. I still play both but i play oblivion all the time

#28 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I liked Oblivion a lot more. I just could not enjoy Fallout 3.

#29 Posted by Grilledcheez (3960 posts) -

Oblivion...I'm a big fan of the game world...Fallout 3 is great too, but Oblivion has a special place IN MY HEART

#30 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

I tried to play Oblivion when it first came out and I tried to play it again about a year ago. I'm going to assume that I was playing it wrong, but I would just be murdered repeatedly over and over again. I could not make any progress through the game and it did get a bit frustrating. Fallout 3 was awesome though. I finished the game pretty easily (navigating through the subway system in Washington DC proper was annoying though) and running around with Fawkes made the side missions a lot of fun. Fallout 3 easily takes this competition.

#31 Posted by xyzygy (10079 posts) -

Morrowind. But since it's not there, Oblivion. 

I hate level caps. Plus, it feel like more of an RPG whereas the everyday things you do contribute to gaining XP in a certain skill. I like that system more than simply, hey you gained a level! pick some new skills. 

IE, I love running and swimming to gain athletics over time, jumping to gain acrobatics, lockpick enough to gain lockpicking, etc. In Fallout 3 you can get a high Lockpicking without even touching a lock. Doesn't make any sense to me but whatever :P

#32 Posted by EdTwo (474 posts) -

I think Fallout 3 was a better game but I had more fun and spent more time with Oblivion

#33 Posted by Arkkazeal (110 posts) -

While I love both games, I'm gonna have to go with Fallout 3 because it had a leveling system that didn't make me want to kill myself.

#34 Posted by JJWeatherman (14573 posts) -

I think the combat in Oblivion felt a lot better than Fallout 3's. That made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the games.

#35 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2297 posts) -

Fallout 3. V.A.T.S. was fun and I loved exploring the post apocolyptic world of F3. Oblivion I didn't like because I felt like I wasn't getting any stronger in that game after a couple of hours and I kept dying.
#36 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Dearest OP, you seem to have made a mistake and have failed to put Morrowind in this poll. I just thought I'd point out this mistake out so you can remedy this, to not make you look a fool. 

#37 Posted by JakeTaylor (307 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Suprised I even have to answer that. There is much more variety in the perks system, assuming you've played Fallout 3, you probably know this already. Oblivion is a great game and I pumped over 100 hours into that, but the bonuses of classes do not compare to the perks system in Fallout 3. I'd rather not discuss this further. Thanks!
#38 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Fallout. Oblivion's skill and leveling systems agitated me to the point that I just stopped playing.

#39 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2483 posts) -
Oblivion is quite crappy out-of-the-box, but don't forget all the modding potential both games offer. Once you get the leveling in Oblivion under control (I use "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul") and switch to a decent interface (I use "Darnified UI") the experience changes considerably. I hear that many mods also work with the console versions, but being a PC guy, I can't confirm that. 

Both games are a dream for modders - or a nightmare, when you are wasting hour after hour fiddling with (and occasionally breaking) the game instead of playing it.
#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@JakeTaylor said:
" @SeriouslyNow: Suprised I even have to answer that. There is much more variety in the perks system, assuming you've played Fallout 3, you probably know this already. Oblivion is a great game and I pumped over 100 hours into that, but the bonuses of classes do not compare to the perks system in Fallout 3. I'd rather not discuss this further. Thanks! "
I've played both to completion (inclduing all addons) and there's really not that much more variety in actuality as perks really only show a major variance in the VATS system, otherwise their interaction with NPCs is much like the conferred bonuses in Oblivion.  FO3 is essentially Oblivion with a themed makover.
#41 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

REALLY tough one. Im going to have to say Fallout barely edges out Oblivion due to the better leveling system and combat.

#42 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

I love both of the games. i said oblivion just because i have been playing it longer and have more history with it. fallout 3 is also one of the best games ever though. Good Job Bethesda.

#43 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Easily  Fallout 3

#44 Posted by afrofools (1335 posts) -

Fallout 3, however when you play for 80 to 100 hours Oblivion's lush nature was more pleasant than Fallout's continual wasteland (i know it's the point of the game, i'm not dumb). Fallout's wasteland is better/more interesting at first. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses in terms of their worlds. I love how in both games I can be 30 hours in and discover gameplay mechanics that I was previously unaware of.

#45 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

just get both. oblivion is like 10 bucks used now. and its just as good.

#46 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1744 posts) -

Well, Oblivion was better for the time it was released. Fallout 3 was garbage from day one.

#47 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen:
#48 Posted by Astiaks (87 posts) -

Fallout 3 was more fun.

#49 Posted by Sil3n7 (1200 posts) -

Oblivion totally and completely.

#50 Posted by schizogony (977 posts) -

Fallout 3 (but just by a hair)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.