Fallout 3 Overall Game Help.. I suck.

#1 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -
I need help with Fallout 3. I get brutally beat down by Super Mutants and it seems like I can barely get anywhere alive. This frustration came to me in the mission where you need to gain entrance to Rivet City. I'm level 6, I fast traveled to the museum of technology to cut the trip some. On my way, I ran into a couple Super Mutants and got my ass handed to me. It feels like my health drains super fast and it takes forever to kill those a**holes. Then, on my 7th attempt, I managed to avoid the Super Mutants but got attacked by a pack of vicious dogs and died.

Now, I felt a need to start fresh so I've started a new game. I need tips to get off to a great start and tips to just overall improve my play.
#2 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Dont just go straight into the story. Do a lot of exploring and side stuff and you will just get better at the game and better stuff.

#3 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

Sneak attack criticals are amazing.

#4 Edited by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -

Get a sidekick. If you have good karma, get Star Paladin Cross from the Citadel, if bad get Jericho from Megaton or Charon from Underworld. They help A LOT in combat.

EDIT: Charon has no Karma requirements.

#5 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -
If I get Jericho, then eventually get back into Good Karma, will he leave? and Vice Versa.
#6 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Play it on a easier differculty setting?

#7 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Do side quests. Extra EXP
What are your tag skills?

#8 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -

I haven't chosen any yet. My new start hasn't actually begun yet.

Do you have any suggestions?
#9 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Small guns and repair are a must for your first time.
Then take a 'soft' skill like science or lockpicking.

#10 Edited by ZombieJesus (231 posts) -

Change difficulty

#11 Posted by freezerr (218 posts) -
#12 Edited by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

You have to avoid super mutants until probably you reach Level 10.  Go through the sewers to get to Rivet City.  The only enemies you encounter down there are Ghouls and Raiders, which are easy to kill.

Edit: Since you started a new game, do some exploring first before you start the main story line.  Build up your XP through side quests and general exploration of the map.
#13 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Super Mutants are piss easy, your weapons and armor were probably damaged to high hell is all. Always maintain your weapons and armor. Even at level 6.

And Stimpacks are your friend. Loot/sell/keep everything.

#14 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. I'm gonna start my new game soon so I'll be sure to use all these tools.

#15 Posted by Kazona (3065 posts) -

Like most said already, do some exploring and sidequests. It's a waste of the game if you don't go out exploring the world and doing sidequests in my opinion. Doesn't mean you have to do all of them, but there's definitely a good bunch of sidequests in the game which are pretty easy to get and fun to do.

#16 Posted by AlwaysCrashing (89 posts) -
hungrynun said:
"Sneak attack criticals are amazing."
Absolutely.
#17 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -
ThaFreshWon said:
"I'm level 6"

well that's your problem right there.
#18 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -

^LMAO @ your avatar

#19 Posted by lodar011 (113 posts) -

You really have to play to your character's strengths, especially early on when ammo/weapons/caps are in low supply.  For example, my tagged skills were sneaking, small guns and lockpicking.  I made sure to also get the first shot while in sneak mode to get the damage boost.  Because my AP was high (because of agility) if I used all my AP in my last VATS attack I would try to retreat and build some back up.  Crouching increases accuracy and increases the rate you recover AP.  I also made sure to lockpick doors/containers to get as many items as possible.

Some general inventory issues: keep your weapons/armor in good condition.  Either increase your repair skill or make sure to get stuff repaired in towns.  Also carry mulitple weapons so you can switch when the condition wears down instead of running to the nearest town.  Also some items (ammo, stempacks, radaway, etc) does not affect your weight so stock up on as many of those items as you can.

#20 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

I'm level 7 and had no problems sneaking in there for Wasteland Survival Guide. You can sneak past a lot of the Super Mutants if you're careful.

#21 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
ThaFreshWon said:
"I need help with Fallout 3. I get brutally beat down by Super Mutants and it seems like I can barely get anywhere alive. This frustration came to me in the mission where you need to gain entrance to Rivet City. I'm level 6, I fast traveled to the museum of technology to cut the trip some. On my way, I ran into a couple Super Mutants and got my ass handed to me. It feels like my health drains super fast and it takes forever to kill those a**holes. Then, on my 7th attempt, I managed to avoid the Super Mutants but got attacked by a pack of vicious dogs and died.

Now, I felt a need to start fresh so I've started a new game. I need tips to get off to a great start and tips to just overall improve my play.
"
Stop trying to fight them then and don't fast travel yourself deep in their territory and expect to make it out alive when you are low level. You can get to rivet city through the tunnels with minimal super mutants and mainly ghouls which are doable at level 6. btw you don't have to always fight to level up, things like hacking and picking locks also gives you XP. yeah hunting rifle versus mini-gun isn't so fun but is doable if you keep your distance. The leveling up in Fallout 3 is way better than Oblivion IMO.
#22 Posted by ThaFreshWon (9 posts) -
The leveling up in Fallout 3 is way better than Oblivion IMO.

I agree.
#23 Posted by gbpackers94 (116 posts) -
samcotts said:
"Play it on a easier differculty setting?"
I didnt think there was difficulty settings on PS3.
#24 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Repair your stuff, get a hunting rifle or some other high damage long range weapon, and get some sneak attack crits on their heads. Try grenades too, and legshots seem to help, especially when they're charging. If that doesn't work do some easy sidequests or something. Get Gun Nut, Swift Learner, Bloody Mess might help too (it gives 5% extra damage dealt). Get Animal Friend at some point too, if only just rank one, since it stops animals from beating the shit out of you.

#25 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -

I first encountered Super Mutants at Level 6 or so too, I was like shit, those things aren't going down with my pistol... then I managed to kill ONE then found a .32 rifle, equiped that, and it seems to do a great job at dealing with the super mutants as long as you do headshots.

#26 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Don't forget about your starting stats.. They affect everything.

#27 Posted by Rapture (265 posts) -
  • Do more side quests that gives you special items
  • Explore the Wasteland, finding new places grants you EXP while having some loot for you to take
  • Like Jeff mentioned in the review get a shotgun, walk up to the enemy's face and V.A.T.S his/her head off.
  • Choose your stats and perks carefully.
#28 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Get some RadEx and swim for it.

One of the perks of getting to Rivet City is picking up the Intelligence Bobblehead, which is very useful to boost skills at level up.

#29 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I ran across the same problem and it was at that point I realized I should probably break away from the main story line and do some side missions and exploring. Its the games own way of telling you to have some fun in the world, which is honestly its strength. The side quests are multiple times better than the main story line. I had reached max level before I even got back to the main story line and while the Super Mutants are still a bit of a challenge in large numbers they can still be properly handed with the amount of weapons, armor, stimpacks, and ammo you'll have by then.

#30 Posted by ky326 (255 posts) -

The quest in this link will give you a plasma rifle if you do it right.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Replicated_Man

#31 Posted by Stray (117 posts) -

In all reality, where you're at location wise is too hard for level 6. Just doing Moira's quests will get you to around lv6 and some handy gear you'll need. Plus it's a ton easier to get to Rivet City the first time by going south from Megaton and then east when you can't go any further. You'll only run into mole rats and a few raiders you can run by. Then you can start getting more powerful weapons from a Rivet City quest and Lincoln's Repeater/ Xuanlong assault rifle from the mall using stealth boys. As soon as you have 2 or 3 half decent weapons the game becomes way easier.

#32 Posted by PIG20 (26 posts) -

Also, I suggest making sure that you spend your points on "small guns" early in the game.  You will come across a ton of pistols and AK's.  Also, giving some points to "mele" weapons early on will probably help as well.  But eventually you will forget about that once you start coming across weapons and ammo on a frequent basis. 

This game can be hard to start but once you start leveling up, it turns into a cakewalk.  I don't think I've ever had a "difficulty" issue with this game since before level 10. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.