Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: THE END (Blog post / rant)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    The following text contains spoilers for both Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4 (sort of). 

Do not read this if you don't want the endings to either of those games spoiled for you.  This was originally written before the Broken Steel details were announced.  The newest DLC will actually "fix" the ending of the game, but only for 360 users who pay ten dollars more. 

Personally, I feel the ability to continue the game after the ending should have been given away without asking people for more money--not the rest of the DLC in Broken steel, just that part of it--but that's not the focus of this post.  PS3 users are still completely screwed, but that's not the focus of this post either.

What follows is a detailed step by step retelling concerning my experience with the end of Fallout 3, followed by how I feel the game should have ended.

===========================================================
    It's about the journey, not the destination. I can't think of one game where this outlook applies more.  I'm not just disappointed in the ending, I'm actually mad about it. I don't recall ever being angry at a game for its ending, but this one did it.

So I reach the end and save my game before going in the final room. I've got the intelligent super mutant as a companion, and a somewhat high speech skill.

Attempt 1: I go in, try the speech, fail the speech, kill the bastard, choose to go into the room myself, and the ending kinda sucks. Ok, bad ending. Now, how do I get the good ending? Well, I guess the bastard has to live.

Attempt 2: I reload my save, I leave the building, find some bad guys, kill them, level up, put everything on speech, make speech a tag skill, I now have 100 speech, get back to the room, save my game, fail the speech, reload, succeed in the speech, bastard lives, shit is STILL going wrong, someone STILL has to go into the room, I say I'm not going in, since I went in before I'm wondering what happens if you refuse, she goes in for me, and the ending really sucks. Ok, bad ending number two. I ask again, how do I get the good ending?

Attempt 3: I reload my save, go in the door, kill the bastard and his men, walk over to the room, it's decision time again, I have a brilliant idea, I turn to my radiation resistant mutant companion to see if I can ask him to go in the room, it turns out I can!, I'm so happy that I saved the life of my super mutant friend, I ask him to go in, I'm so happy the developers put this in there, finally I'll get to see the good ending, my super mutant friend essentially tells me to go fuck myself, I take out my combat shotgun and kill that big green ungrateful piece of shit, holy crap can he take a lot of damage before he goes down, I say that I'll enter the room, then I wait, room blows up, ending sucks. What the hell? How do I get the GOOD ending!?

I go to the internet, I look up details on the last mission, THERE IS NO GOOD ENDING! Even if you have a damn robot as your companion, the ROBOT will refuse to go in the damn room!

Fuck you, Bethesda! This isn't GTA4. My character has led a good life, and I don't deserve to be forced into either being a martyr or an asshole. If you couldn't ask the companions about going into the room for you, then it wouldn't have been so bad, but it REALLY pissed me off that the developers actually thought about that, put it in the game, and then made sure that you might as well be asking a brick wall to do you a small favor. In my best angry video game nerd impression: "what were they thinking?"

How should the game have ended?  Like this:

Good guy ending: If you rescued Fawkes and were good enough for him to agree to join you, he goes in the room for you and you live. This only happens if you think to ask him, otherwise your're a martyr. Lastly, you can still ask the girl to go in, and despite being such a good person, it turns out you were a coward in the end.

Neutral guy ending: Fawkes can't be with you because you were not good enough. If you go in the room yourself, you're a martyr. If you send the girl in, she agrees and you're an asshole.

Bad guy ending: Fawkes can't be with you because you were an asshole. If you go in the room yourself, you're a martyr who led a life of sin, but redeemed him or herself in the end. If you try to send the girl in, she says that you were a total bastard/bitch since you left the vault and pleads with you to perform this one selfless act to redeem yourself. If you still refuse, she takes her gun and shoots you dead. While you're slumped against the wall dying, as your vision fades, the last thing you see is her stepping into the room and sacrificing herself.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm really sorry for not reading this all, and I'm probably wrong. Forgive me it's 1.30am, anyway - Ain't Bethesda sorting out the endings in Broken Steel? Like, making them good.

I started to read your post. I realise my fail. Sorry, time for sleep I feel.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

i also have a issue with the level cap. 20? really? Fallout 2 it was 99. even at 30 that still kind of short. Yet Bethesda will still get my money when broken Steal comes out. i hope Fallout New Vegas has a higher level cap and bunch more side quest. cuz really, compared to Oblivion Fallout 3 is a short game.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Thunder

Broken Steel is supposed to fix this

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By SpinCookie

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Yeah I was evil the entire game, then i felt bad so i sacrificed myself, then I reloaded to see what would happen and let the girl go in, then i ended up being a coward.

The main thing I didn't like was the weird narrator at the end, there was no narrator for the entire game, why introduce one then.  That ending should have been an in game cut scene, a conversation between the brotherhood members talking about how you saved they day or something, not some weird montage of things I did in the game, I know what I did Bethesda, I don't need a clip show.  Same thing with Bioshock, don't give me a narrator if the entire game didn't have one, it breaks the element of the story.

The game was still incredible, especially with Liberty Prime, sucks I can't get the DLC on the PS3 version, I didn't infect the water supply, I would have liked to walk around the wasteland and see things turning back to normal, I guess that's whats youtube is for.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Jackel2072
    SpinCookie said:
    The main thing I didn't like was the weird narrator at the end, there was no narrator for the entire game, why introduce one then. 
    That's Bethesda trying to remain as true to the Fallout series as they can. games starts with a narrator game ends with one. That's just the way its always been.

P.S.
    How in the heck can you not love Rob Perlmen?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.