Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

fallout 3 vs fallout new vegas

• 62 results
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

New Vegas, easily. Much better writing and gameplay that actually allows for a variety of character builds rather than Fallout 3's "Small Guns 4 Lyfe" philosophy.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@pyrodactyl said:

New vegas is better, here's why:

Loading Video...

skip to 9:20 if you only want the jist of it.

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, NV > F3.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@pyrodactyl said:

New vegas is better, here's why:

Loading Video...

skip to 9:20 if you only want the jist of it.

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, NV > F3.

SO now I am just gunna start asking "what do they eat" in like every game or movie... too bad no one will get the reference.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

New Vegas was WAY buggier than 3 on release (freezing was a big issue for the first month, especially on ps3). They only incrementally improved the gameplay; wasn't a big difference between 3 and NV in that department. I liked the main quest better in 3. Sidequests were of equal quality in both.

3 was something fresh, and new vegas was more of that (which is both a good and bad thing)

If you haven't played either, I recommend playing NV instead of 3, but if you're like me and played 3 first, New Vegas was un-refreshingly similar.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@animasta: Obsidian have over the years accrued a reputation for making narratively impressive yet technically shaky games. This isn't something that just started with Fallout New Vegas. I dunno about Neverwinter but Knights of the Old Republic were rooouughh; although had a good story and great characters.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#56  Edited By armaan8014

This? AGAIN!?

Both are well worth playing. Fallout 3's world is more fun to explore, but New Vegas is vastly better written and has somewhat better combat if only because of actual iron sights. If I were to recommend one, it would probably be New Vegas, but only by a small margin.

Yup, and i preferred fallout 3 for its world. Beautiful game.. in a strange way

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This? AGAIN!?

Both are well worth playing. Fallout 3's world is more fun to explore, but New Vegas is vastly better written and has somewhat better combat if only because of actual iron sights. If I were to recommend one, it would probably be New Vegas, but only by a small margin.

@redbullet685 said:

I personally liked New Vegas more. Both are good games, though. And New Vegas is like $2.50 today so I say jump on that.

Base New Vegas is, but with all the DLC it's five dollars. Might as well get the whole package.

Agreed on all counts. Except, since I'm a world junky with these kinds of games, I'd choose Fallout 3. And yeah, pay $5 for the whole package. NV has some great DLC worth seeing.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i thought new vegas had a way better tone

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Both of the DLC's for each game are about even but overall Fallout New Vegas was a better game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

@animasta: Obsidian have over the years accrued a reputation for making narratively impressive yet technically shaky games. This isn't something that just started with Fallout New Vegas. I dunno about Neverwinter but Knights of the Old Republic were rooouughh; although had a good story and great characters.

NWN2 was also damn rough, so was fucking Alpha Protocol.

While I stand by my opinion that Obsidian could use better guys to actually make games and a few more competent project leads/producers, I've kinda slowed down with my hate for them since something hit me recently - the Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2 and the four New Vegas DLC were fucking exquisite. These guys kinda do stuff nobody does and it's risky enough that they rarely got the time to actually finish their games. They would obviously get more time and free reign with downloadable content, which is were those brilliant designers have a better way of shining through.

It still doesn't really excuse them much for putting out such a mess like Alpha Protocol - which is by all means the most wasted potential of the entire generation.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By spookytapes

New Vegas is a better game overall but I like 3 fine. I think they're both worth playing.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By BackseatBoss

I really like both of them, but if I had to choose, I'd probably choose New Vegas. In terms of graphics, both of them look pretty much the same, only Fallout 3 is a little bit more greenish blue and New Vegas is more orange yellow. This might not really make any sense if you hadn't played or even looked at some gameplay, but if you did, you know what I'm talking about. Story wise I liked New Vegas more. The ongoing warfare between 2 factions seemed really interesting to me, but it's not to take away anything from 3. DLC wise I liked 3 more, but if you are just trying to get into the Fallout franchise, you don't really need it at the beginning, because the game is very long if you decide to do as much stuff as possible. I've put nearly 100 hours on both games each and there's still stuff to do and with the price of 2.49 euros on steam, it's a steal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.