Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

How does Fallout 3 work on the PC?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lukeweizer

Sorry to be so ignorant. I'm tempted to get in on the sale on Steam, but I was just wondering how "Games for Windows" works? Do I need Vista? Is it just part of the game? Will I be able to sign in to my Gamertag?

Thanks for the help.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

It's probably been patched, but for me it crashed a lot, insane loading times, my console commands were screwed up, at one point I had to uninstall and reinstall, and you should be able to sign into your gamertag.

Oh, and you can just use the console commands to get all your achievements. Mods are cool, but difficult to activate.

And considering Microsoft's atrocious GFW Marketplace getting the DLC packs to work will be a pain in the ass.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @SJSchmidt93: Bah. I just want it for the console command points. And I figured this'll be as cheap as it's gonna get for a while. Is the DLC free on PC?
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Lukeweizer:

No.
    DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DrVanNostren

It works really well on PC for me, I didn't have any problems with crashing or anything.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

I just bought it off Steam, i have 10 secs more of download, ill get back to you

Well the launch screen works fine and it says my hardware is capable of having ultra high quality, a good start

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Babble
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " Sorry to be so ignorant. I'm tempted to get in on the sale on Steam, but I was just wondering how "Games for Windows" works? Do I need Vista? Is it just part of the game? Will I be able to sign in to my Gamertag?Thanks for the help. "
    Games for Windows basically overlays on to Fallout 3. When you want to get achievements or use any Xbox Live features you select an online option on the main menu and the  'dashboard' for Games for Windows comes up. Then you just sign in with your gamertag. 

When you are in the Games for Windows it looks like what you would see on the old version of the dashboard on the Xbox 360, friends list, messeges, etc. You download the DLC through Games for Windows and it does cost money using Microsoft Points.

It also doesn't need Vista. If you have ever used Steam in-game it's kind of like that.
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shrig32

It all works perfectly for me, I imagine it'll need a pretty beefy computer to run well, though =)
    http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/faq.html here's the requirements =)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @Lukeweizer:
    It doesnt like to be minimized, i have trouble getting it to open back up again after doing so, but those issues are few and far between, and it might just be my computer

Other then that, the game crashed once, that may have been because i kept reloading the same save over and over, i was trying to kill a robot and i had to retry again and again.

But ya it works fine, i hope you enjoy it
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
    deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Works fine for me too. On 'Very High' settings range and seems to be smooth. Did crash once in ten hours of playing, though (only had this for a few days). Got mine through Amazon (UK) for £12.99.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SaucySala

I've had it crash quite a few times (I'm a little over 5 hours in)... But I only paid $25 for it. And it runs pretty well on my PC.

Still love it to death.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Manatassi

*sigh* its been a few years now since I said stuff this I'm sick of the PC and went out and bought a Mac and a 360. 

Its sad to look back at when the PC was my platform of choice and realize I really made the right choice.

I really cant see what the point of saving $10 on Fallout 3 is compared to having a nice simple put the disc in the tray experience. *shrug*
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

steam with live for windows and such games work fine but the game them selves though is the problem fall out 3 has loads of glitches in the PC version.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By shades846

Hi, all 

Just looking at getting the DLC for fallout 3 on disc as it cheaper in the UK than from games for windows.  Though when i look at Uk amazon it turns out that fallout 3 game of the year on pc is only £1.07 more than PC DLC on disc 11.96 per disc. The GOTY version has all the DLC in it. 

Why do they not release single pack on disc or more to my view release the DLC on steam?

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By linkster7

Haven't played it for a while now, but right after release it crashed a lot for me.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By lucas_kelly

The game played fine on my computer, not too many glitches or crashes. Although you need a fairly beefy computer to run it well.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

I recently spent about 40 hours with Fallout 3 on my laptop, going through the main game, Broken Steel, and The Pitt. It ran great and didn't crash a single time. I was running v1.7.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By shades846

How would if i buy the pc DLC on disc it work with the steam version i have bought.

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Six

and you don't need to get the expansions if you only want the pc Ach points. console commands will unlock them all.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGremp

GFWL has a pretty good interface, but can be a hassle to get it working.  Took me 3 days to get it to log me in on Street Fighter IV for the first time. 

It runs just fine on Fallout, and you probably won't ever even see it, seeing as a game like Fallout has little to no use for it, other than the DLC.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper

I played alot of this on PC and worked reletivaly fine. The game does'nt like to be alt-tabbed much, though.

Iceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Iceland

Didn't use the games for windows at all, don't care about no gamerscore or whathaveyou...

But the game ran good once I upgraded it to the latest patch

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @L:  
    No Caption Provided

To answer your question, OP, i have vista 32 bit. i just installed the game and... played (:
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By bwooduhs

If you like achievements then get it.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lamegame621
    @DrVanNostren said:

" It works really well on PC for me, I didn't have any problems with crashing or anything. "

same here (I took my profile pic in-game)
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " It's probably been patched, but for me it crashed a lot, insane loading times, my console commands were screwed up, at one point I had to uninstall and reinstall, and you should be able to sign into your gamertag. Oh, and you can just use the console commands to get all your achievements. Mods are cool, but difficult to activate.And considering Microsoft's atrocious GFW Marketplace getting the DLC packs to work will be a pain in the ass. "
    Loading times are fine for me. Rarely crash, console commands worked fine. Mods are not difficult to activate at all, you just put them into the Data folder then click the check box in the mod section on the launcher.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I hope you have a decent video card. It runs well most of the time, however the framerates can dip lower at times. It's always over 30 frames to 60 frames for me and the graphics are way better than the console version.

Wilberton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wilberton

Once Fallout 3 patch v1.5 was released, the game stopped regularly crashing on me and generally worked fine. From then on there was only the occasional crash, which didn't affect my overall game play much. The Broken Steel Expansion also worked fine. 

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FireSketch
    @Wilberton: This is an 8 month old thread xD
    I almost replied too!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read this thread before seeing how long ago it was live. I had my hopes up for it being on sale and everything.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uniform

I heard some nightmare stories of it being a buggy mess on the PC. Took a risk, and bought the GotY edition. While it did crash, it was hardly the buggy mess people made it out to be.

I prefer any game with a shooter mechanic to be played on a PC, and having achievements via GfW LIVE is a fantastic perk. What I have noticed with my most recent titles (Bioshock 2, FO3) is friends reporting my achievements acquired through GfW LIVE turn out bugged when comparing achievements on XBox Live. Swapped/incorrect icons for achievements, incorrect scores.

Wilberton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wilberton

8 months?! In my defence I have only recently discovered the Giant Bomb.

Fallout 3 started crashing regularly again once I started playing Point Lookout. The crashes got more and more frequent and so I just did the main set of missions and got out of there, back to the Washington wastes while I still could. It's probably something to do with my particular set-up disagreeing with the game.  

I did take the time to go and visit the Pint Size Slashed Location though, after seeing it on You Tube.    
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kishan6
    @MB said:
    " I recently spent about 40 hours with Fallout 3 on my laptop, going through the main game, Broken Steel, and The Pitt. It ran great and didn't crash a single time. I was running v1.7. "
    qft
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Marz

The game works fine, Bethesda has been a PC developer for awhile so it doesn't feel like a port of a console game.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I really enjoyed playing it on the PC. It did crash semi-regularly though, but usually it just crashed right after I started it, so no lost saves or anything. Oh, and the DLC was incredibly buggy when I played it. I think Operation Anchorage crashed like 8 times in the first half hour.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan

Yeah, the PC version wasn't too great for me, either. Weird stuttering issues and crashes. But I played it at launch, got bored of it and never touched it again, so those issues could be fixed by now.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @Lukeweizer: 
    its my understanding that steam games dont need games for windows.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Works great, there are also a lot of mods for fallout on the pc.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

It has an AWFUL issue with HDR when using SLI. Depending on what's near the edge of the screen and what your FOV is set to, the more it will brighten and darken quickly and seemingly randomly enough to make you uncomfortable. You can choose to disable one of your cards (or chips if you use a dual chip card) resulting in reducing performance, or turn off HDR resulting in less color range (and the game is already pretty muted to begin with).

Not sure if ATI cards in crossfire also have this issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.