Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

I need some serious Fallout 3 help...

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I really don't want to think I just threw $29.99 down the pooper, so I really need some help with this game. I'm up to the part near the beginning where I left Megaton to go to D.C. for some radio station that I forget the name of. I'm in the subway it forces you to go through, and after beating the first section after 483243274738274386431432718 attempts, I'm at the part where you see the super mutant. Alright, sneak by him, let the ghouls kill him. After that though, the ghouls immediately see me! 3 of them! The combat really is sucking and I'm very disappointed by that, but it's not only that...THE BLOCK DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! Even if you're blocking, they can still hit you. There is no point. This game is just insanely hard for me right now and I have no clue how to be good at this game. I have low HP, and anything other than a stimp pack does pretty much nothing to get me more. 

C'mon, what am I doing wrong!?

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Bumped because I NEED HELP!!!! 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

And of course blocking doesn't make you invincible. Haven't you ever played a fighting game? Christ's sake.

If you're this bad at the game, then don't do the mission. Go explore and try again when you've levelled up your character and have better stuff. 

Wait, you can't get past three ghouls?! Wow, you're shit.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Hrm, I can't imagine why you are having problems on that section. I don't remember things being an issue. Maybe go back to Megaton and upgrade your equipment? Use VATS more effectively?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demyx

Always do some of the sidequests in megaton before you really start on the main storyline. You did at least do some of the Survival guide quest right? The first few are pretty easy.
    Also, turn down the difficulty maybe? If its that hard.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MysteriousBob said:
    "  And of course blocking doesn't make you invincible. Haven't you ever played a fighting game? Christ's sake. If you're this bad at the game, then don't do the mission. Go explore and try again when you've levelled up your character and have better stuff.  Wait, you can't get past three ghouls?! Wow, you're shit. "
    Well fuck you too buddy.  

I would expect the block to deflect at least 1 out of every 5,000 hits, but it does NOTHING.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Turn down the difficulty? Shoot the ghouls maybe? 

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Sadisticham

Do you not have a gun? :s

I've not played it in over a year but just shoot them..that;s the bet advice. I found the game really easy..just keep your guns in good condition, keep a good stock of ammo. Isn't to hard to find weapons and ammo - just take a walk through the wastelands you'll bump into plenty of people wanting to kill you just take care of them and loot the ammo/weapons.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry

The only gun I have is the BB Gun, and that didn't do shit.

griffintyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By griffintyro

Are you using ranged weapons?  I always thought the Fallout 3 melee was fairly useless. If fighting it out is really impossible just run for it, or reload a recent save (an autosave should have been created when you entered the subway). Also, if you are on the PC, pull down the console and type in tgm (God mode).

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mmmslash

Melee isn't very viable unless you really crank STR and put points into it.

A first time character would benefit from using Small Guns.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@AlwaysAngry said:

"C'mon, what am I doing wrong!? "

Just about everything.

From the sounds of it, you're tackling the missions right off. And not just any missions, but main story missions. Fallout, when you strip away VATS and the shooting, is an RPG. Which means you're not going to be worth a shit in a fight until you level up. 

I don't know how much game-time you've burned trying to beat the Ghouls and the Behemoth, but there's no rush to complete anything. I'd advise you just to get the hell out of dodge and fight some Radracohes until you get to the point where you're not seriously threatened by Vicious Dogs. 

Seriously, when I played through Fallout, I was close to level ten or twelve before I even messed with the main story.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " The only gun I have is the BB Gun, and that didn't do shit. "
    ......You should have at least a pistol by now....Or some other gun. If you do not..well..im sorry sir but...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlwaysAngry said:
    Dude. Yeah. I'm amazed you even made it this far with just the BB Gun.

Take your time. Explore a bit. Just rushing to the missions is suicidal.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Well thanks I guess...this is my first RPG and I didn't really see the leveling system as anything much. I didn't think it was important. No need to be ass-holes.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    ......You should have at least a pistol by now....Or some other gun. If you do not..well..im sorry sir but... "
    I have 2 pistols, but no ammo.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    ......You should have at least a pistol by now....Or some other gun. If you do not..well..im sorry sir but... "
    I have 2 pistols, but no ammo. "
    Sell the one that has more damage to it. Buy ammo 

Whats your level? Do some side quests. 
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pazy
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    Before I got to that part I had a real gun (well I had about 4 I think) so go back to Megaton and get some cheap gun, or scavenge it off the body of an enemy thats already dead. I think even that Super Mutant might have a gun so once you have snuck past him go back and get it off him. The BB Gun isnt really meant to kill anything, its just part of the story so that you can learn to shoot a gun and I kept it out of "Nostalgia" I suppose.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xMP44x

Try and get a gun. Kill the Ghouls first, and then swipe a rifle from one of their corpses. The Super Mutants aren't that dangerous. Aim for the head with the VATS system - even with a melee weapon. If you're attacking with fists then you might want to try and sneak behind one of the Ghouls. Punch him in the back and you'll get a ridiculous multiplier, giving you a one hit kill. Combat in the game isn't awesome, but you should definitely continue to fight enemies and level up. Here are some good 'go-to' weapons that I can remember:

• Hunting Rifle
    • 10mm Pistol
    • Assault Rifle

.32 ammo for the Hunting Rifle is extremely plentiful as many Super Mutants insist on using it. The 10mm is useless later on in the game, but it can be effective at the start. The Assault Rifle is difficult to find in my experience, and ammo needs to be bought for real benefits. But once you have it, I recommend you use it sparingly. And if you're still having troubles then, continue with some of the sidequests around the area of Megaton. Move slowly through the game - blitzing it is pretty boring, and there's no fun to be had in that. Fallout 3 is a game to be played over a decent period of time. Don't complete it all immediately.

Talking about this game makes me want it again. I might buy the GOTY next week...
    GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Yall postin in a troll thread.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
    " Yall postin in a troll thread. "
    Dude...fuck you. Being stuck on the game makes me a troll!?
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Burns098356GX

Wow this game is not for you.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Alright, well thanks guys. I didn't really look around too much. I had no idea there was shop or anything in Megaton, I just went where the arrow pointed me... 

I guess I'll reload the auto-save from the beginning of the subway and go back to the town and see what I can get. I'm so clueless when it comes to this game. Like I said, first RPG.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Can I ask where all your ammo went? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xMP44x:  There's a whole slew of weaponry in that super-mart just outside Megaton. I distinctly remember there being a Laser Pistol (which is fuck-tacular in the beginning of the game) and a Combat Shotgun or three in there. Not to mention a lot of ammo. 

Just to add on to the advice you've given.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Aetos

Do the survival guide quest where you go to the super market. After killing the enemies you should find a laser pistol on one of them.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Burns098356GX

I suggest starting over. you can get a pistol and ammo before you even leave the vault.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Alright, well thanks guys. I didn't really look around too much. I had no idea there was shop or anything in Megaton, I just went where the arrow pointed me...   I guess I'll reload the auto-save from the beginning of the subway and go back to the town and see what I can get. I'm so clueless when it comes to this game. Like I said, first RPG. "
    Do not gonna the main quest till you have a stock pile of ammo and weapons. You should not go anywhere near a subway till you have done some main quests. 
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Can I ask where all your ammo went?  "
    Those radroaches seemed pretty menacing at the beginning of the game...and those dogs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlwaysAngry said:
    " Alright, well thanks guys. I didn't really look around too much. I had no idea there was shop or anything in Megaton, I just went where the arrow pointed me...   I guess I'll reload the auto-save from the beginning of the subway and go back to the town and see what I can get. I'm so clueless when it comes to this game. Like I said, first RPG. "
    The key to RPG's is leveling your character. And knowing what kind of character you want so you can distribute skill points efficiently. For you, I'd advise Small Guns, Medicine, Sneak (maybe? It might be beneficial.) and probably either Repair or Energy Weapons. Could swing both.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    The key to RPG's is leveling your character. And knowing what kind of character you want so you can distribute skill points efficiently. For you, I'd advise Small Guns, Medicine, Sneak (maybe? It might be beneficial.) and probably either Repair or Energy Weapons. Could swing both. "
    I made it Science, Big Guns, and Sneak. Bad move I guess :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlwaysAngry: Not really, you can still dump points into the other skills and get yourself proficient in them. Those three are just the three you want boosted early. Big Guns is tough because you won't be seeing a lot of Rocket Launchers until the end game. Science and Lockpick mostly cancel out, and I tend to prefer Lockpick (though Science does have its occasional benefits), and Sneak . . . well, I love Sneak. If you can crouch and land an attack on an unsuspecting enemy, you get a huge damage bonus.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    The key to RPG's is leveling your character. And knowing what kind of character you want so you can distribute skill points efficiently. For you, I'd advise Small Guns, Medicine, Sneak (maybe? It might be beneficial.) and probably either Repair or Energy Weapons. Could swing both. "
    I made it Science, Big Guns, and Sneak. Bad move I guess :/ "
    Definatly a bad move. I've never played this game the 'sneaky' way but I really think its pointless, if I were you, I would start over. Science, speech, lockpick, small weapons (pistols, assault rifels) or energy weapons is the way to go. 
    Big weapons are so limiting, ie. rocket launcher, Fatman. You'll never use those things enough for it to matter to put points into them, at least early in the game.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aetos

It all comes down to your play style as far as what skills to put points into. I made it through the game without sneaking once, but I've heard of people who loved to sneak.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @AlwaysAngry: Ok dude. I just completed ALL the missions that you can even think of in the GOTY edition and the DLC's last week and i have only one thing to say: Don't use Melee weapons. Use good ol' fashioned Glockz and tekz yo! Or just the Hunting Rifle and Chinese Assault Rifle. 

At the start of of the game, it will be very slow to find good weapons and you will want to turn off the game because all you have is your trusty BB gun. Don't give up hope yet.

Before you leave Megaton to even start the story missions, i recommend doing some of the Wasteland Survival Guide missions for Moira Brown in Megaton. (The red-head chick in the general store - think it's called Craterside Supply). She will give you a few easy missions to start off with, and with the right speech, you can gain ammo and stimpacks to start you off. Some of the missions, you will fight Raiders, and gain some pretty good starting weapons like the Hunting Rifle and 10mm Pistol.

Then after some practice, you can gain some cool shit like this. :D

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BrokenCage
       @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    I made it Science, Big Guns, and Sneak. Bad move I guess :/ "

Science is a very good skill to have. I'd take it over Repair or Energy weapons. Choosing Big Guns and Sneak won't break the game for you. What matters more is your SPECIAL stats, For example, Big Guns damage is calculated by your Endurance while Small Guns is calculated by your Agility. If you dumped all of your SPECIAL points into Strength, you're essentially a Melee Fighter. The truth is, for the strongest character from beginning to end (meaning low level and high,) Small Guns with maxed Agility/Luck (which can be achieved very early in the game) is the way to go, as Agility affects Small Guns damage and the amount of Action Points you have, while Luck affects all skills and increases your chance for a Critical Strike. Also, a Sneaking before an attack will grant you a 100% crit chance (as long as the enemy doesn't know you're there.) 

Here's what I suggest: 

Weapon: Lincoln's Repeater 
    Primary Stats: Agility & Luck 
    Primary Skills: Small Guns, Science, and Sneak
    Perks: Bloody Mess (5% Dmg), Commando (25% VATS Acc W/ 2H Weapons), Finesse (5% Crit Chance), Robotics Expert (25% Dmg to Robots), Sniper (25% Imp Chance to Headshot in VATS), Better Criticals (Increase Crit Dmg by 50%), Concentrated Fire (Imp VATS Acc the more you fire at a specific body part), Grim Reaper's Sprint (A kill in VATS restores all Action Points). Survival Expert (3% Crit, always choose the sarcastic answers during Survival Guide quest for this Perk,) and Entomologist (50% Dmg to Bugs, it's available early, but hold off until you've faced your first Giant Rad Scorp.)  

That tactic with this set up would be to sneak up on enemies, enter VATS mode, and go for the Headshot. It should one-shot most enemies in the game on a reasonable difficulty. 

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By briggs713

Turn down the difficulty.  I was kinda turned off at first because I was dying a bit around that same part, until I turned down the difficulty just a bit.  Use the slider in the Options menu.  This makes sense if this is your first RPG.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @AlwaysAngry said:

I suggest getting more levels, go hunt some Deathclaws for easy XP.
    A lot can be found at the top of the world map.

@CornontheCobbe said:

Ok dude. I just completed ALL the missions that you can even think of in the GOTY edition and the DLC's last week and i have only one thing to say: Don't use Melee weapons. Use good ol' fashioned Glockz and tekz yo! Or just the Hunting Rifle and Chinese Assault Rifle.  

Shishkebab/pyromaniac/reaper would like to disagree with you.
    Anything dies in 1 VATS round -> Instant full AP restore -> Perpetual killing slow mo.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Meowayne

That's just too cute. 

Like others said: It's an RPG. You're not supposed to blindly go from one arrow to the next thinking the game will serve you everything. Go out there and kill stuff. Gain Exp. Loot. Spend money. Have a thorough look at your stats and see what you're good at. Specialize in something instead of trying to be good at everything. 

And those who claim that melee is useless should have a word or two with a close combat / strength maxed characters. Maxed out and trained early, melee in Fallout 3 is VERY deadly.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shirogane

Go back to Megaton and do a whole bunch of quests there. Also, buy all the 10mm ammo you can from wherever you can find it. It'll be useful. And don't waste it on radroaches from now on yeah? Those things don't even attack me anymore...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.