Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

I was all ready to hate this

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By HazBazz

I never played many RPGs as a kid. I was introduced to games through the lucky-go-happy world of Mario, then spent my teenage years hanging with the cool kids with GTA and Need For Speed. The idea of RPGs just never appealed to me, too much text to read, all that level managing, wizards and knights being "teh gay". But a while ago I decided to give this whole RPG thing a shot, and it didn't go well.

I borrowed Oblivion off a friend, and hated it. Granted, I only gave it about an hour of my time, but if a game can't wow me after that long, I have low hopes for it. Also, the fact that I had an unfinished copy of Gears Of War sitting next to it probably didn't help either. So, my RPG experience got off to a bad start.

You're so boring!
    You're so boring!
    I tried Mass Effect, again off the same friend. He's an RPG nut, and said I'd like this one because it incorperates shooter elements. Awesome, I thought. Its just a shame that the story was a bore-fest, the shooting was mediocre, and even the fact that it was set in space (the greatest setting for anything, ever) didn't stop me from getting more disapointed as the hours went on, and I still say that its one of the worst games I played in 2008.

I gave up on RPGs for a bit. Played GTA IV, Gears, Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero, had some laughs, had some fun. Then Fallout came out. I listened to the Giant Bomb GOTY podcast, read some reviews, talked to some dudes, and decided I wanted to try out Fable 2 or Fallout 3, the two most RPG-ish RPGs I could find. As I said to my game-recomending friend, "I want something to remind me I hate this genre". He gave me Fallout, said theres no way in hell I'd like it. How wrong he was.

So I went in it ready to hate it, and for a while I think I did. It started off kinda slow, I had to talk to a load of kids, I hadn't shot anything for 10 minutes, even by the time I reached Megatonne, I was still looking at it through pesemistic eyes; "Man, this town is confusing as hell, wheres this bar I need to find?", "I can't afford anything lady, and I dont want to look around for tin cans to sell to you", "What the hell, why can't I shoot kids?". But I trecked on, and somewhere along the line I had an epiphany.

Fallout gets my thumbs up
    This game is several kinds of awesome. I've actually found myself looking around towns to talk to people; I've been seeking out as many side quests as possible; I've been looting dudes, finding a new item, looking it up on an online guide, then using it to make stuff. Its everything I thought I hated about RPGs, all the item management and endless conversations, but I'm really into it. The combat system isn't to shoddy either, and even though I thought I'd never use VATS, I use it in nearly every battle.

I don't know what it is about Fallout, but this is the first non-Mario RPG I've really been able to sink my teeth into. It has enough RPG elements to give me a new challenge, but enough FPS elements to amuse my imature brain thats still stuck at the age of 12. Mix that with some genuinley interesting conversations, and not to mention the eerie atmosphere that is found in the dark monster-infected Metro tunnels, and the game that I wanted to hate turns out to be one of my favorite in a long time.
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HazBazz

I never played many RPGs as a kid. I was introduced to games through the lucky-go-happy world of Mario, then spent my teenage years hanging with the cool kids with GTA and Need For Speed. The idea of RPGs just never appealed to me, too much text to read, all that level managing, wizards and knights being "teh gay". But a while ago I decided to give this whole RPG thing a shot, and it didn't go well.

I borrowed Oblivion off a friend, and hated it. Granted, I only gave it about an hour of my time, but if a game can't wow me after that long, I have low hopes for it. Also, the fact that I had an unfinished copy of Gears Of War sitting next to it probably didn't help either. So, my RPG experience got off to a bad start.

You're so boring!
    You're so boring!
    I tried Mass Effect, again off the same friend. He's an RPG nut, and said I'd like this one because it incorperates shooter elements. Awesome, I thought. Its just a shame that the story was a bore-fest, the shooting was mediocre, and even the fact that it was set in space (the greatest setting for anything, ever) didn't stop me from getting more disapointed as the hours went on, and I still say that its one of the worst games I played in 2008.

I gave up on RPGs for a bit. Played GTA IV, Gears, Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero, had some laughs, had some fun. Then Fallout came out. I listened to the Giant Bomb GOTY podcast, read some reviews, talked to some dudes, and decided I wanted to try out Fable 2 or Fallout 3, the two most RPG-ish RPGs I could find. As I said to my game-recomending friend, "I want something to remind me I hate this genre". He gave me Fallout, said theres no way in hell I'd like it. How wrong he was.

So I went in it ready to hate it, and for a while I think I did. It started off kinda slow, I had to talk to a load of kids, I hadn't shot anything for 10 minutes, even by the time I reached Megatonne, I was still looking at it through pesemistic eyes; "Man, this town is confusing as hell, wheres this bar I need to find?", "I can't afford anything lady, and I dont want to look around for tin cans to sell to you", "What the hell, why can't I shoot kids?". But I trecked on, and somewhere along the line I had an epiphany.

This game is several kinds of awesome. I've actually found myself looking around towns to talk to people; I've been seeking out as many side quests as possible; I've been looting dudes, finding a new item, looking it up on an online guide, then using it to make stuff. Its everything I thought I hated about RPGs, all the item management and endless conversations, but I'm really into it. The combat system isn't to shoddy either, and even though I thought I'd never use VATS, I use it in nearly every battle.

I don't know what it is about Fallout, but this is the first non-Mario RPG I've really been able to sink my teeth into. It has enough RPG elements to give me a new challenge, but enough FPS elements to amuse my imature brain thats still stuck at the age of 12. Mix that with some genuinley interesting conversations, and not to mention the eerie atmosphere that is found in the dark monster-infected Metro tunnels, and the game that I wanted to hate turns out to be one of my favorite in a long time.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

Can't believe you didn't like Oblivion and liked Fallout 3.  Good for you for trying RPGs hah, I recommend you try Fable 2 sometime in your life, it's very good and it's an easy play.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Chummy8

"I hadn't shot anything for 10 minutes,"

This type of attitude is why there's a million generic shooters on the shelves and not enough variety.

And I'm happy you liked Fallout 3.  Now I highly recommend the first 2 Fallouts.  They were much better than Fallout 3 with my favorite of the series being Fallout 2.  I suggest you try it out even though I know you never will.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hexpane
    TekZero said:
    ""I hadn't shot anything for 10 minutes,"

This type of attitude is why there's a million generic shooters on the shelves and not enough variety.

And I'm happy you liked Fallout 3.  Now I highly recommend the first 2 Fallouts.  They were much better than Fallout 3 with my favorite of the series being Fallout 2.  I suggest you try it out even though I know you never will."
    He wont like the first 2 fallouts, even tho they are indeed much better games.  Bethesda made a smart move w/ FO3 and the non vats combat.  They knew there were a lot of console gamers out there who don't like anything but twitch shooters, so they allow that type of gameplay to sell more units.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Can't believe you didn't like Oblivion and liked Fallout 3. 
    That is pretty incredible, really. 

I'm somewhat like you.  Somewhat, in that I didn't love Mass Effect (but I didn't hate it), but I was consumed by Fallout 3.  I hear a lot of complaints about it starting slow, and, like TekZero said, that's not the attitude one should have going into it.  I mean, Fallout is a modern epic, really.  It's like, in Moby-Dick, if the novel opened up with the battle between Ahab and the White Whale, all of the atmosphere and the philosophy and the commentary would be lost. 

I'm a sucker anything post-apocalypse, though, and for the first three hours it was the general setting that kept me completely and utterly interested.  I honestly felt as though death could be waiting for me around any corner. 
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HazBazz
    TekZero said:
    ""I hadn't shot anything for 10 minutes,"

Well I was kinda kidding about that, I wasn't really thinking that while playing it. I was just pointing out that I was playing it with a really pesemistic view, ready to criticize just about anything about it.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, it is nice to hear that you are enjoying Fallout 3, but it seems like you are a bit close-minded if shooting things is your main draw to these type of games.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Care to explain WHY you hated Mass Effect?

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By samcotts

I hated Oblivion and loved Fallout 3 too.

But I also loved Mass Effect.

I don't really know the point of me posting this. Congrats on enjoying Fallout 3?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

Mass Effect's story was boring? hmm...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.