Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

I'm not sure if I like Fallout 3 or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I want to like it because everyones saying how great it is and a post apoc setting of a world is great but I'm just not having any fun yet. I liked the first part of the game in the vault because that was great and wish'd it lasted longer but once you had to escape from the vault it started going down hill for me. I'm not a fan of the poor AI and how stiff everyone walks :\ It all feels very unnatural. Also the combat mechanics just arn't that great because VATS is great to watch once but becomes very boring and I hate how you run outta action points and have to switch to the crappy real time combat. See the problem with the real time combat is the RPG stats carry over so you can miss even if you're aiming right on the person. It just seems to me that if they worked on making one system really good then combat woulda been fun.

I get out of the vault and I dunno it's just a dead boring world and I know thats the idea but man the post apoc setting is more boring than I hoped for. I think the main problem is I can see lots of vehicles and yet I can't ride a motor bike or a car and it's like surely with all these parts laying about I could make a working vehicle. I'm sooooo fedup of running everywhere and just want to be able to get around in a more fun way than spending an hour getting lost and pissed off on foot.

You'd think as the game has less content than Oblivion that they'd make the quests fun and more cinematic but thats not the case, quite alot of them are really boring. Not to mention that it doesn't help how the game seems to want to crash alot so having tor edo the same ones over and over again is pissing me off. I find the controls to be all akwards and the menus to be annoying to navigate too like the map isn't good at giving detail or how I can press r to draw in my fists but if I'm holding a weapon when I press r it does nothing. I really wish'd that third person woulda been better too and want to be able to turn chase camera off.

I really want to like Fallout 3 but I dunno it's just boring....

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Pc glitches?
    the 360 version runs fine.

But the gunplay is simple- if you hit them you hit them.
    And it really does have quite a bit of content, much more detailed than oblivion, probably about the same amount of content too. 

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By breton
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "the 360 version runs fine.
    But the gunplay is simple- if you hit them you hit them. "
    Our own MB had graphical issues with the 360. And isn't the gunplay based on stats? You aim at them, and might hit them?
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

MB? 
    Anyway, there aren't many tech issues in the game, on the 360 at least.  Suprising considering it's the same company that did oblivion.  I did have it freeze on me once, but that's out of 11 hours so far and besides that it runs fun, maintains a fine framerate, no aliasing, no screentearing,etc.  As far as bugs go, the terrain can be somewhat weird to go over when jumping and i have had my menu screen be to bright too read because of the light.

But as far as the gunplay, yes and no.  It's not like morrowind where you can be right next to a mudcrab and hit him directly in the face with the arrow and itll say you missed.  For the most part it depends on the gun's accuracy itself, but your stats will affect it (i believe) and the damage. 
    The gunplay is actual shooter worthy.  I'd compare it to Bioshock really, just a bit looser like cod (but still think bioshock)

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By PitifullPete

This game doesn't really get me either. The Vault part was fun. Alot of the design is stylish, but the story doesn't really enthrall me, and the combat system  feels dull. If you happen to be able to speak german you should check out "Drakensang". It has classic round based combat, party creation and decent graphics/story.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "MB? 
    Anyway, there aren't many tech issues in the game, on the 360 at least.  Suprising considering it's the same company that did oblivion.  I did have it freeze on me once, but that's out of 11 hours so far and besides that it runs fun, maintains a fine framerate, no aliasing, no screentearing,etc.  As far as bugs go, the terrain can be somewhat weird to go over when jumping and i have had my menu screen be to bright too read because of the light.

But as far as the gunplay, yes and no.  It's not like morrowind where you can be right next to a mudcrab and hit him directly in the face with the arrow and itll say you missed.  For the most part it depends on the gun's accuracy itself, but your stats will affect it (i believe) and the damage. 
    The gunplay is actual shooter worthy.  I'd compare it to Bioshock really, just a bit looser like cod (but still think bioshock)"
    There has been a few people complaining about graphical glitches and crashing on both PC and 360 actually. I have had none what so ever, but it doesn't change that it is still happening a little bit. They'll probably put out a patch for both soon.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

If you find the game boring, then you find the game boring. There is no reason as to why you should like it...wanting to like a game because everyone else likes it, or they tell you that you should like it is just stupid. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just go with your gut and stop playing if you don't enjoy it.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KindGalaxy

I'm feeling about the same, though I've always enjoyed Black Isle Studio's games, as well as previous Bethesda games, this one is the hardest for me to enjoy; although I do enjoy it, it is an okay game, but it's not grasping me as much as Morrowind or Oblivion, or the two original Fallout RPGs.
    I did want to say though, I can understand why vehicles don't operate in Fallout 3. The game is set in 2277, that is 36 years after Fallout 2, and in Fallout 2 we did have a car, but it felt like we were the only ones in the game with one, so they were probably already rare at that time, fastforward 36 years and in Fallout 3 they should logically be even rarer, not to mention; how do we get petrol? The terrain in the game is also designed in such a way that to have a vehicle would be extremely difficult to drive in, they'd have to design the entire overworld differently to accommodate a vehicle, and the actual coding for the vehicle would be really difficult, they'd have to code for some bored gamers who want to take their car up the top of a broken bridge and jump off the bridge in it, how would the game handle damage? repair costs? Will every city or township in the game have a mechanic? Does that make sense in a post-apocalyptic setting? The design function of the subway system would also be moot, why walk through the train tracks when we can just drive from point A to point B. The QA testing for vehicles would be horrendous.
    The biggest thing for me is it feels like the dialogue is boring, clicking through 8 options of dialogue is really a drag, if I ask someone in the game 'can you give me directions' it should just spit out a sentence on 'oh, upstairs on the left is the tavern, down on the right there is the supply shop, next to that is the medical center, and right behind me is the church of atom', instead of giving me 5 new dialogue options which are just 'where can i sleep' 'where can i drink ' where can i get medical attention'. It could even delve into a sidequest, with the character's options being 'thanks' 'church of atom? what's that?' and 'i had another question' giving you an end dialogue option, a go back option and a quest option, instead we have to scroll through a dozen choices just to leave the dialogue or find a quest dialogue option.
    There should also have been a 'barter' button similar to the previous fallouts, I hate asking 'can i see your wares' every damn time I want to check someone's stimpack prices. Code it to the X button whilst in dialogue, or the O button on PS3, and any key on PC, it'd make selling/buying so much faster and less frustrating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3 is basically the same game but I'm not sure why I don't like it a second time around.... Oblivions music I loved alot more than Fallout 3's and music is always a big thing for me in games and I just think Oblivions world just clicked with me more. Did Oblivion come with an SDK because I see tons of mods for that but I can't find an SDK for Fallout 3 which if it never gets one is just goning to ruin all the potential mods people will make which will make th egame osoo much better.

While yes coding vehicles into the game and how the map isn't designed for vehicles makes them impossible to be there... well thats Bethesda vault for designing the game without them. If theres one thing I want in a post apoc world is to go round looking for parts and then coming across a petrol station in the wasteland but having to get past mutants to get there. Once I have all the parts I need for various wrecks I can put together my own vehicle like some kind of character creation and customize it to make it my own. Then hit the highway looking for survivors and to come across them American diners to find out that there are other people alive and thats like the main meeting spot for them all lol.

I just think Fallout 3 is a much lesser game because Bethesda couldn't be bothered :\

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

Sounds exactly like me and Oblivion. Wanna know what I did?

I stopped caring and played the game....like a robot.....like a dumb robot.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By xruntime

From what I understand, this is an RPG gamer's game, not an FPS gamer's game. That's what holding me back from getting it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xruntime said:
    "From what I understand, this is an RPG gamer's game, not an FPS gamer's game. That's what holding me back from getting it."

Yeh and horrible combat is something that most RPG games have which ruins them :\
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kratos81
    PapaLazarou said:
    "xruntime said:
    "From what I understand, this is an RPG gamer's game, not an FPS gamer's game. That's what holding me back from getting it."

Yeh and horrible combat is something that most RPG games have which ruins them :\"
    I dont know why they cant make a rpg with great combat. I dont see whats so hard about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kratos81 said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "xruntime said:

Yeh and horrible combat is something that most RPG games have which ruins them :\"
    I dont know why they cant make a rpg with great combat. I dont see whats so hard about it."

Yeh Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (while it's a FPS not a RPG) had a great melee combat system with great use of magic, it was very engaging and fun. I wish more fantasy rpgs went for that kind of combat system. Playing the multiplayer aswel was hella fun because each time you joined the server you had to kill to get experience and customise your character and everyone was different.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm the same, I like areas but theres way to much Oblivion in there and it turns me off.

Plus the world itself isn't as interesting as I'd have hoped. 
    Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wuffi

oblivion was prettier

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By diz

I'm feeling exactly the same. It's far to Oblviony and stiff. There are tech issues - I've been stuck in textures twice.

I've ordered the mammouth sized Bradygames guide and hope that will give me a push of enthusiasm for this game.

It's a huge shame - I played Oblivion to death and that's probably why I feel let down by my high expecations for this game. 
    Rhalle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rhalle

I agree, OP.  It is boring.

There's a minority who loved Oblivion and aren't happy with Fallout 3, not because it is too much like Oblivion, but because it is not enough like it.  I'm in that minority.

Here's my challenge, and "It's not really a Fallout game"  will not taken into consideration.

Please name a single thing in Fallout 3 that improves on what Oblivion did; or something that is revolutionary; or something that is representative of extraordinary attention to design detail (preferably above and beyond what Oblivion did).

The only restrictions are  that you cannot say that the engine is smoother; the world geometry and faces look better; or that you simply liked the setting better and you like guns better than swords.

Please someone dazzle me with the reasons that earned this game golden critic reviews nearly across the board and tons of  fanboi acclaim. 

And please be specific.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By serbsta

I had fun but i only played it for a bit, i agree, an FPS fan wouldnt like it that much.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rockanomics
    Wuffi said:
    "oblivion was prettier"
    Tamriel didn't have a nuclear arsenal dropped on it, I can't imagine Fallout being any less technically competent.

And the reload key thing. If you have a melee weapon (no ammo to reload) R draws or holsters the weapon, if it's a gun with a magazine, tapping R reloads if it's not full, and holding R down will holster.

I'm having problems with F3 as well, but I had problems with the other Fallouts, and Oblivion, and other games similar. I always love the ideas on paper, but in practice there's often many turn offs for me.
    I seem to have some sort of anxiety disorder because I can't deal with the concept of choosing a few certain aspects of a character at the beginning of a game and dealing with the consequences for the rest of the entire game.

Also I always make my choices based on what I think I (and to certain extents my character) would do in the situation. So super minor early spoiler here.

Say I was chased out of the only world I had ever lived in, and I not only just saw the outside world for the first time, but that outside world has been blown the F up.
    And in pursuit of my escaped father, searching through the ruins of civilization, the first human face I find is a jet-whore with a debt.

Would I really be thinking "I need to either help her hide from her pimp, or figure out how to get the caps out of her."? How would I even know what caps were? Did the vault even have a currency system?

There's some strange things with the weapons, like I would really be keen on using this cool Chinese pistol, but it does less damage than my starting pistol, even though it shoots the same bullets.

I think I might get through it some more, I highly doubt I'll finish it based on my record tho. And just to let you know these are clearly personal kinks of mine, I think it's perfectly fine that rolling up my sleeves and putting on some All-Stars makes my repair + lockpick higher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to start another thread on this but I've tried playing Fallout 3 again and I just can't like the game :\ Everyones saying GOTY and how GTA4 sucks but I['m totally the other way round I found GTA4 interesting with great humour and a great story and apart from the terrible menus on the PC and having to install social club and GFWL there was nothing broken with it like Fallout 3. I just don't gett he appeal and it makes me frustrated to not understand why people love it so much.

- Boring world
    - No vehicles means I have to run everywhere and it gets so boring running everywhere
    - I hate how in the main part of the city that it's all split up into sections and the only way to get around is the subway..... why can't I just climb over the rubble like in real life?
    - I hate how the running animations don't match the moving speed so it looks like you're on ice and you can even slide sidways.......
    - The combat system was poor because VATS took too long and gets boring and the real time combat felt so off because if you're going to do real time FPS combat please don't tack on RPG crap to ruin it.
    - Characters were all boring and bland
    - The main  tory was boring
    - Side missions wern't even fun
    - The game lacks humour

Everything was going great until I left the vault and thats when it all fell apart.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate
    PapaLazarou said:
    "I don't want to start another thread on this but I've tried playing Fallout 3 again and I just can't like the game :\ Everyones saying GOTY and how GTA4 sucks but I['m totally the other way round I found GTA4 interesting with great humour and a great story and apart from the terrible menus on the PC and having to install social club and GFWL there was nothing broken with it like Fallout 3. I just don't gett he appeal and it makes me frustrated to not understand why people love it so much.

- Boring world
    - No vehicles means I have to run everywhere and it gets sooooo boring running everywhere
    - I hate how in the main part of the city that it's all split up into sections and the only way to get around is the subway..... why can't I just climb over the rubble like in real life?
    - I hate how the running animations don't match the moving speed so it looks like you're on ice and you can even slide sidways.......
    - The combat system was poor because VATS took too long and gets boring and the real time combat felt soooo off because if you're going to do real time FPS combat please don't tack on RPG crap to ruin it.
    - Characters were all boring and bland
    - The mains tory was boring
    - Side missions wern't even fun
    - The game lacks humour

Everything was going great until I left the vault and thats when it all fell apart."
    Please stop elongating your words
    Its soooooooooooooooo annoying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol never noticed that before :\ I just type how I say everything in real life and when I'm thinking of something tedious I just put the emphasis on that and then I'm like omg thats soooooooo fucking boring lol.

I admit i over use it and it comes across as annoying when written.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By OmegaPirate
    PapaLazarou said:
    "lol never noticed that before :\ I just type how I say everything in real life and when I'm thinking of something tedious I just put the emphasis on that and then I'm like omg thats soooooooo fucking boring lol.

I admit i over use it and it comes across as annoying when written."
    :P is cool dude, just yanking yer chain :) i kinda get what you mean with fallout tho, im still enjoying it so far :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.