Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Japan Controversy

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Scieran

I'm bringing something old up to talk about.. The Japanese censored the Nuke stuff from this game in their country. I'm getting the idea that they're pretty much going to censor any game released there that has something to do with nuking a place.

Maybe I should make a arcade game about nuking Japan. The game centres in Japan which the player gets to nuke realistic, lifelike Japanese cities, countrysides, villages and seaports.

Wonder how well that would sell.

m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By m_rum
    @Scieran said:
    "Maybe I should make a arcade game about nuking Japan. The game centres in Japan which the player gets to nuke realistic, lifelike Japanese cities, countrysides, villages and seaports. "
    Yeah very classy. They've experienced the most horrible thing imaginable first hand so I'm ready to give them some slack with one video game.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

There's no way you'll be seeing a game company making a game about flying planes into buildings for years, and thats not nearly as devastating as a nuke, so i'm going to give Japan the benefit of the doubt. 

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nexas

Japan didn't censor anything. Bethesda changed the Japanese version of their own accord. Hell I doubt any high level Japanese official even heard of Fallout 3.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Suicrat

While you should definitely be free to produce and sell your own little piece of hateware, it's not as though the Japanese aren't rightly squeamish about the most devastating event in the country's history.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @AgentJ said:
    " There's no way you'll be seeing a game company making a game about flying planes into buildings for years, and thats not nearly as devastating as a nuke, so i'm going to give Japan the benefit of the doubt.  "
    Fallout 3 wasn't about nuking, it's a single mission.  Games still have planes flying into buildings (Saint's Row 2 for example)...
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter

If anyone's seen Fist of the north star, which came out in the 70's, then you know Japan loves violence and nukes. Bethesda is just being a pussy.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @m_rum said:
    "
    @Scieran said:
    "Maybe I should make a arcade game about nuking Japan. The game centres in Japan which the player gets to nuke realistic, lifelike Japanese cities, countrysides, villages and seaports. "
    Yeah very classy. They've experienced the most horrible thing imaginable first hand so I'm ready to give them some slack with one video game. "
    They've also committed some of the worst things in WW2.  Google Unit 731 and Nanking.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Nexas said:
    "Japan didn't censor anything. Bethesda changed the Japanese version of their own accord. Hell I doubt any high level Japanese official even heard of Fallout 3. "

This. Because it's what happened. All they did was remove the ability to Nuke Megaton and change the 'Fat Man' to the 'Nuka Launcher' because 'Fat Man' was the name of one of the bombs dropped on Japan. So yeah, they really didn't do anything atrocious. The stupid drug name changes to satisfy Australia on the other hand...  While it's arguable that names present in the original games are better, you shouldnt fucking censor the rest of the world just because of australia.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Scieran said:
    " I'm bringing something old up to talk about.. The Japanese censored the Nuke stuff from this game in their country. I'm getting the idea that they're pretty much going to censor any game released there that has something to do with nuking a place.Maybe I should make a arcade game about nuking Japan. The game centres in Japan which the player gets to nuke realistic, lifelike Japanese cities, countrysides, villages and seaports.Wonder how well that would sell. "
    You are an asshole.
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eclipsesis

I happen too know that during WW2 japan wasn't exactly the living jesus they did do some horrible stuff. However to bring up two nuklear attack which thousands of innocents is a bit shameful on your part. 

m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By m_rum
    @KaosAngel:

Well no shit. I didn't say that any country is holier than another did I?
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Endogene

Ehhh was the controversy not that Japanese players were upset at Bethesda for censoring the game for them?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Endogene said:
    "Ehhh was the controversy not that Japanese players were upset at Bethesda for censoring the game for them?"

Quite probably. I would be if I was a japanese fan, especially given how central the megaton choice was in Fallout's press releases and marketing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.