Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Just started playing, when to venture into expansion?

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nonethewiser

OK so I have fallout 3 GOY with all 5 dlc's on 360. My question is, when do I incorporate the expansions? I'm about 2 or 3 hours in and haven't installed them yet. I'm assuming I should play them near the end/ at the end of the campaign? Is anything retroactive about the expansions?... meaning that if I dont install the 5 dlcs now, i will be excluded from some content..

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

Go at about 10 hrs.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Atlas

The only thing that can happen if you don't install the DLC is that if you reach the level cap (which is Level 20 in the original version), you will stop gaining experience. The Broken Steel pack raises the level cap to 30, so you should make sure to install the pack before or as you reach Level 20.

VERY MINOR SPOILERS - NOT A BIG DEAL, BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE SENSITIVE - Also, Broken Steel removes the "Point of No Return" from the game, so you can continue your adventures in the Wastes without having to reload a previous save (you wake up a couple of weeks after the events of the end game). So you should aim to have Broken Steel installed before you start to reach the climax of the game. END SPOILERS

Aside from that, it doesn't matter when you install them. The other four packs basically just act like sidequests much in the same way as the sidequests in the original game, so you can do them at your discretion.

Enjoy!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Whisperkill

i'd say level 10

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nonethewiser
    @Atlas: 
    Thanks a lot, this was helpful. I 'm not completely ignorant of Fallout 3. I've played on friends 360's for short periods, and I've listened to Vinny and the rest of the staff talk about it all the time on the Bombcast, so the "point of no return" wasn't a spoiler (just about anything in the story line would be though). 

I'm not really sure why I didn't jump all over this game in the first place. I love fps and I've definitely played Oblivion more than any other 360 game, so I'm DIGGING f3. Until I raided the super market in the beginning i was poor as shit, not even having enough bullets to venture into the wasteland! Any other good places around Megaton (or slightly farther north) to loot?
    juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By juanvaldes

It didn't auto install them all for you? Thats what happend with the PS3 version. Was very funny stepping out in the wastes for the first time and seeing all 5 expansions 'come play me!' messages pop up at once. As for when, I'd say install them all. Then you have a single large world at your own pace.

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nonethewiser
    @juanvaldes: its on a separate disc
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By spaceturtle

I say start whenever you feel like it! The DLC's aint all that hard. I'm not sure if I remember this all correctly, but when I started on my second character when the GOTY edition was released I began on the DLC's at once. Mostly because I had already completed the main game. So again, begin whenever you want.

Most the DLC's are very good, but the main story is so much better. In my opinion anyways...

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DystopiaX

they're usually endgame DLCs, since they came out after everyone hit the level cap anyway, but you could concievably to it at around the level 10 mark if you're a combat focused character.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AndrooD2

I picked up Point Lookout when it went on sale, and I started exploring that area this past weekend with my Level 11 character, and it is not easy. At least make sure you're well equipped with some above-average armor before you take that boat trip.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @AndrooD2 said:
    " I picked up Point Lookout when it went on sale, and I started exploring that area this past weekend with my Level 11 character, and it is not easy. At least make sure you're well equipped with some above-average armor before you take that boat trip. "
    Yeah man, i ventured to Point Lookout when i was sure i had stocked up on a hell of a lot of ammo and very strong weapons and armor, as it is the hardest DLC to get through...
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By crusnchill
    @Nonethewiser:  It all scales to what level and difficulty you're at, so you could theoretically do the DLC when you first leave the vault.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

I was wondering this too since I've started playing the game on PC.  I never got too far on the 360 but am having a blast on PC now.  Anyway, I too have the GOTY edition but I think I might keep the DLC content for my second play through although I might install Broken Steel if I don't finish the main quest before level 20.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PillClinton

start 'em whenever.  I've played through that game 3 times and twice I have started the DLC missions immediately upon getting out of the vault.  Oh, and the armor from Operation Anchorage is incredibly good and will make the rest of the game way easier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.