Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Leveling up

supernando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By supernando

Hey, Just wondering if people had there own techniques for leveling up in Fallout3? I'm mainly asking for some advice. I've finished the main quest without doing much exploring as most of my searching the Capital Wasteland started with Broken steel and I've only just made level 14. Is this well below par for a character who has completed the main story quest and is just starting to do the main quests on broken steel?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supernando:  Probably, yeah.  Broken Steel can get pretty nasty at times.  I would recommend going through some side quests and levelling up a bit, or just going out and scavving the ruins (try taking on Fort Bannister if you haven't already, great place to find loot and to get XP.)  Look it up on the fallout wiki (google) if you don't know where it is. 

You will probably be good around lvl 17, I'd say.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Seems to be a little below what most people would be at that point in the game. I didn't personally finish the main quest until I did basically every single other side-quest. I was level 20 hours-before finishing the game. But I don't have any specific tips for leveling, besides just doing a bunch of side-quests. They are mostly pretty fun, so there's no reason not to just go for 'em. If you haven't already, start with "Mora" in Megaton.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other good places to grind are Evergreen Mills (nice surprise there, be sure to bring tons of ammo), and pretty  much anywhere in downtown DC.  Lots of Super Mutants there.  But Bannister and Evergreen Mills are the two best ones I can think of. 

@FunExplosions said:

If you haven't already, start with "Mora" in Megaton. "  
    This.  This set of quests will lead you to some good areas, and it has a nice  pay off in the end.
    raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By raphaa00

I stopped the main quest at "Take It Back!", to explore the wasteland and all the DLCs, since I own the GOTY edition.

I'm at level 24 right now. "Mothership Zeta", "The Pitt" and "Operation: Anchorage" are completed. Entering "Point Lookout". Using the Hellfire power armor since I've found it. 50+ hours of gameplay.

Actually, I found that leveling up in Fallout 3 to be pretty easy, playing in normal. Completing side-quests tends to boost your XP with 300+ points each, and most of them are easy and brief. Also, traveling alone guarantees that you'll earn points from every enemy.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I just work my way through all the quests, it hasn't taken much thinking about to do.

Duskwaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Duskwaith

Id say work your way through the quests but I found disarming the vast quantities of mines lieing around a great XP boost.

Other than that, walk out of Megaton. Turn what ever direction and run all day in that direction discovering everything on the way.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By wwfundertaker

Im at lvl 15 just doing the DLC, haven't really started the story. Just do all the side quests and you should be fine.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Mmmslash
    @raphaa00:  You're actually starting the only DLC I enjoyed more than the actual game. Enjoy!
    raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By raphaa00
    @Mmmslash:  I didn't realized how much depth this DLC have. Actually I can say that it's another game inside the original. 

The map is HUGE and the enemies are tougher than those of Capital Wasteland.

I was not expecting that first mission, at the mansion, 'The Local Flavor', to be so mean. It's probably the hardest mission on the entire game.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

-raise the difficulty (hence saving a bunch)
    -harder lockpics and computers give you 50+ xp 
    -do side quests (you can find out which most are by looking at the achievements)

so just wander the wastes killing and finding tresure.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am playing on normal and have completed Anchorage and Zeta and half of the main quest and The Pitt and I just hit 17. 

Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Kaburorne

You could use that perk that gives you 10% extra XP wherever XP is earned.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ZimboDK

If you're on the PC, get some mods. I've been having fun with these:

Cube Experimental is pretty much my all time favorite quest mod. I think it took me about 8 hours to complete, and has a very Portal-ish feeling. Highly recommended. It starts out slow though, but keep at it until you're done with the Cube chambers. It get way better. I honestly prefer this mod to any of the quests in the main game.

Another one is A Quest For Heaven 1 and 2. Again, giant quest that takes you all over the Wasteland and beyond. Unfortunately, the guy who made it is not a native English speaker and the grammar is well... atrocious. If you're willing to live with that, then I highly recommend it. It does get insanely difficult at some point though, since you'll run into a ton of spawns (sometimes  20+), and I had to activate God mode to get through those parts. Part 3 is in development as far as I know.

Played through those mods, finished Megaton, and I'm level 23. I haven't even touched any of the DLC yet. Great way to experience new content. Also, look for mods made by Puce Moose on the Fallout 3 Nexus. The guy knows what he's doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.