My only problem with the DLC...

#1 Posted by Naughton (211 posts) -

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I have a slight problem with the DLC as a whole.

On Jan. 27th, Operation: Anchorage comes out. Then in Feburary, The Pitt comes out. Then in March, the final DLC pack(as far as we know), Broken Steel will be released. All of the packs include new weapons, armor, areas, and quests. Broken Steel will also raise the level cap to 30, adding new perks as well. That last part is where I have a problem.

I've recently just finished Fallout 3. I have about 70 hours logged into the game, and while playing through, I completed all but 2 quests(You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head and The Nuka-Cola Challenge). I hit level 20 and still had quite a bit of the main story left to complete.

My problem comes in the fact that with the raising of the level cap to 30, I feel that anyone who is already at level 20(the current cap) is getting short changed a bit. This is just speculation, but I highly doubt the Broken Steel DLC will provide enough content  to get level 20 players to level 30 with the way the game currently scales your leveling progress. Maybe the XP gained from the new BS content will be scaled up to a ridiculously high level to compensate, but that just seems like a cop-out.

Another issue I have is that with the cap raise instituted in the third DLC release is that it punishes players who are at level 20 who buy the first two packs and play through them shortly after release. All the XP that would have been gained from playing through the first two sets of new content is lost, then when the third one comes out, there is going to be a huge jump in level, but (this is just my prediction) not enough content to bridge that gap.

I'll still be getting all the packs, and I'm sure they'll be fun, but the whole thing seems very counterintuitive.

#2 Posted by Hexpane (1435 posts) -

Bethesda has stated that their approach of the ending was in line w/ the original Fallout.  Level cap and GAME OVER screen.   They have also stated now that people have played the game they are hearing people want a more Bethesda style "ending" which means no real end and huge level cap.

So it's a no win situation.  If bethesda had no ending and open levels people would have bashed it as Not Fallout enough, instead they stuck w/ the Fallout lore and non FO fans are saying it's not Bethesda enough.  So think of the DLC and new levels as "extras"

My character maxed at 20 long ago, I don't feel "punished" at all about not gaining enough levels or wasting XP since IMO the leveling happens too fast anyway. 

#3 Posted by PureRok (4268 posts) -
Hexpane said:
"My character maxed at 20 long ago, I don't feel "punished" at all about not gaining enough levels or wasting XP since IMO the leveling happens too fast anyway. "
I agree. This game levels you up a little too fast sometimes.
#4 Posted by Royale (185 posts) -

Maybe for my second play through I'll wait until all the DLC comes out and start from there doing what I want in the main game and then playing the DLC. 

Wait a tic... doesn't Operation Anchorage take place pre-fallout 3 and you play as a completely different character... how could playing that character affect the main fallout 3 character?  Also, maybe since they aren't raising the cap until Broken Steel... that DLC was be absolutely huge, while the other 2 are just a few extra quests and missions to add to the story kinda like the Mass Effect DLC.
#5 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2559 posts) -

My problem with the DLC is that it's not coming to PS3. =P

#6 Posted by Kazona (3256 posts) -

I don't see a problem at all with this, even if I don't manage to reach level 30 with the new content that they're releasing. I'm just glad I can continue to level up when the Broken Steel pack hits. Right now I'm at level 20 and I still have quite a bit of content available to me, which makes it feel that the content vs leveling balance is totally skewed in Fallout 3. It's nitpicking, I know, but I'd rather there be a couple too many levels rather than too much content. Not saying that I want to be grinding my way to the max. level, though. Just saying that if you pretty much always fast travel and avoid enemies as much as possible, I would much rather that finish all the quests and have my character be, say, level 28 instead of 30. As it stands now, I don't really feel a need to explore any further since I already reached the level cap.

I know, I should be doing those other quests and exploring just for the sake of doing it. But man, I just want to get some kind of satisfaction out of it, and I don't feel that enough of the quests have enough going for them for just doing them to be satisfying enough. The only ones I do want to finish are the quests that get you some unique weapons. Other than that, I'm not really sure I will bother with any more of the side quests, and just getting money or random crap out of it, that just ain't cutting it for me. But like I already said, I know that is very nitpicky of me, and probably a bit silly too; but hey, that's just the way I feel.

#7 Posted by ColMustard (411 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"My problem with the DLC is that it's not coming to PS3. =P"
you shoulda bought it the superior version of it...
#8 Edited by JohnDudebro (955 posts) -
ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
you shoulda bought it the superior version of it..."
That's right, you should have got it for PC!

loltroll
#9 Posted by ColMustard (411 posts) -
BananaKid said:
"ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

loltroll
"
haha... sure. Whichever version has the DLC is the "superior" version right?
#10 Posted by Icemael (6795 posts) -
ColMustard said:
"haha... sure. Whichever version has the DLC is the "superior" version right?"
It's not only the DLC, the PS3 version had worse graphics and a whole lot more visual bugs than the other two.
#11 Posted by Jayge_ (10270 posts) -
BananaKid said:
"ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

loltroll
"
He's not trolling, he's stating a simple fact. People who bought it for the PS3 are royally fucked.
#12 Posted by ColMustard (411 posts) -
Jayge said:
"BananaKid said:
"ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

loltroll
"
He's not trolling, he's stating a simple fact. People who bought it for the PS3 are royally fucked."
its ok, my yesteryears were spent in the wretched hive of scum and villainy known as System Wars over at Gamespot... if there is one thing I've learned from that dump, gamers get highly deffensive when you A. state a fact that they can't live with and B. they realize their purchase was not the most sound.  Bottom line is to just love what you spent your money on and take your lumps in stride.  Im sure there is a legion of Fallout 3 fans out there who wish they had purchased it on another platform.
#13 Posted by zolaman (2 posts) -

I bought the game on the ps3, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Even had the downloads been made available, there is no way I would have purchased them. The game was quite expensive to begin with (as all games these days are), and after all 3 planned expansions come out, the price will total to roughly $90.00! For myself, I've had my fun, and I'll move on to better games in the future. The day I pay for a game that costs a quarter of the price that the console itself cost is the day that Satan is wearing mukluks.

#14 Posted by Jayge_ (10270 posts) -
zolaman said:
"I bought the game on the ps3, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Even had the downloads been made available, there is no way I would have purchased them. The game was quite expensive to begin with (as all games these days are), and after all 3 planned expansions come out, the price will total to roughly $90.00! For myself, I've had my fun, and I'll move on to better games in the future. The day I pay for a game that costs a quarter of the price that the console itself cost is the day that Satan is wearing mukluks."
Your loss o.O
#15 Posted by Voldy (101 posts) -

I'll probably wait until all the DLC has been released - get them all and start the game again - if thats possible!

#16 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2559 posts) -
ColMustard said:
"Jayge said:
"BananaKid said:
"ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

loltroll
"
He's not trolling, he's stating a simple fact. People who bought it for the PS3 are royally fucked."
its ok, my yesteryears were spent in the wretched hive of scum and villainy known as System Wars over at Gamespot... if there is one thing I've learned from that dump, gamers get highly deffensive when you A. state a fact that they can't live with and B. they realize their purchase was not the most sound.  Bottom line is to just love what you spent your money on and take your lumps in stride.  Im sure there is a legion of Fallout 3 fans out there who wish they had purchased it on another platform."
Didn't mean to start a flame war, guys.

ColMustard stop being a douche.

"You shoulda bought it the superior version of it"

"I used to go to system wars and everybody else but me was soooooooooo lame."

STFU. You're just making yourself sound like a douche.
#17 Posted by Jayge_ (10270 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"Didn't mean to start a flame war, guys.

STFU. You're just making yourself sound like a douche."
Gaspar, he's not being a douche. He's stating a fact. Drop it.
#18 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2559 posts) -
Jayge said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

Gaspar, he's not being a douche. He's stating a fact. Drop it."
I'm not complaining about him saying the PS3 version is the worst. I knew that when I bought it. I'm annoyed that he thinks he's better than everybody else in System Wars. This is the hierarchy of the internet:

GiantBomb is on top of course: nearly perfect
Then we have the other various forums and discussion sites
Down near the bottom is 4chan with mostly repulsive
At the bottom is System Wars, which is COMPLETELY repulsive. Saying you're better than anybody here is like saying you're proud that you're more sophisticated than an amoeba.
#19 Posted by Jayge_ (10270 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"Jayge said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

I'm not complaining about him saying the PS3 version is the worst. I knew that when I bought it. I'm annoyed that he thinks he's better than everybody else in System Wars. This is the hierarchy of the internet:

At the bottom is System Wars, which is COMPLETELY repulsive. Saying you're better than anybody here is like saying you're proud that you're more sophisticated than an amoeba."
I think you're overthinking this a bit o.o
#20 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2559 posts) -

Sorry. I just don't like assholes from System Wars. =P

#21 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3521 posts) -

Other than more perks, I don't see the benefit of a raised level cap.  You can already max all your stats in 20 levels.  The game is in dire need of more loot though.

#22 Posted by DoctorTran (1584 posts) -

My problem is... okay... Brotherhood of Steel is supposed to extend the storyline. And if you haven't beat it yet... it alters the original ending of the game. So... My question is.. if you have already beat the game.. and then get Brotherhood of Steel... Do you have to start all over again? Or can you just pick up from where you left off? Because... I don't want to have to wait until March to beat the game.

#23 Posted by atejas (3151 posts) -
ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
You must mean the one with better graphics, mods, and better dev support.
#24 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2877 posts) -

I think the way it works is the Operation Anchorage is a simulation, so getting no xp in that I guess is reasonable, of course there was tranquility lane so you know.
The Pitt, I don't think they've stated if its your character, so there's the excuse if you get no xp.
Lastly Broken Steel is you, and I'm pretty sure the ending is reverted or something like that so you can continue playing no matter what. Since its you, you get xp.
This is based on speculation.

#25 Posted by Darknesszora (41 posts) -

the thing i wana know is at the end of the game many things can happen including purifiying the water/ killing all radiated life forms/ sacrafising your self/ letting the girl activate the purifiyer.

so are they gona involve thes choices into the world after the main quest is done?
#26 Posted by ColMustard (411 posts) -
Jayge said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"Jayge said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

At the bottom is System Wars, which is COMPLETELY repulsive. Saying you're better than anybody here is like saying you're proud that you're more sophisticated than an amoeba."
I think you're overthinking this a bit o.o"
Thanks Jayge... Honestly, I was just stating the point that had I bought Fallout3 for PS3 and now knowing that its my game of year, maybe game of gen (mass Effect) I'd probably be fairly dissapointed that the DLC was exclussive to the 360.  If "Bring Down the Sky" only dropped on PC I'd be pissed... Whats funny is that I admitted (like I give a shit) to spending some time over at system wars and I stated a completely reasonable argument and alot of these holier than thou posters who despise system wars are acting like they live there.  interesting.
#27 Posted by cinemandrew (723 posts) -
Death_Unicorn said:
"I think the way it works is the Operation Anchorage is a simulation, so getting no xp in that I guess is reasonable"

It is a simulation, but you still do get experience, as long as you're not already capped.
#28 Posted by Hexpane (1435 posts) -
Origina1Penguin said:
"Other than more perks, I don't see the benefit of a raised level cap.  You can already max all your stats in 20 levels.  The game is in dire need of more loot though."
Well the level cap will also increase the level of enemies, and hopefully they will up the difficulty too so increasing your own levels, + new perks, you will need more HPs etc.. if they do it right.  They *could* also raise the skill cap from 100 to 150
#29 Posted by jNerd (2184 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
My problem with you is, you own a PS3
#30 Posted by skrutop (3812 posts) -

I'll wait until all three packs come out.  I'm in my third playthrough, with about half of the main storyline to go and a few other side missions.  I'm going to stop there and pick it back up for Broken Steel.  I'll have enough XP to go around.

#31 Posted by Patchinko (885 posts) -
ColMustard said:
"AndrewGaspar said:

Yeah.

The PC version.

You know, the one with the GECK and a practically limitless amount of user-generated content in the future.

Oops, system warz. ;)

Seriously though, as for the topic at hand, I've been thinking about that. My character is level 19, almost 20. I haven't done probably half of the extra quests yet, and haven't discovered at least half of the map yet. There's still a lot left to do.

Should I wait so that all of it counts towards my character getting to level 30? Start a second character to try those other quests on? I'm not sure. I've seriously considered getting the exploration perk that reveals everything on the map and just going out and seeing everything on my level 20 character. But I'll probably do the latter option. Create a neutral or evil karma stealth ninja type character (in contrast to my lumbering energy weapon power armor badass Jesus Christ of the Wasteland character I have now) and do the other quests with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.