Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Oh Lord, what have I been missing out on?

• 63 results
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

My friends always told me to get this game, but it never really interested me. I always said I didn't like RPG's. I always said this game just doesn't look good. 

I couldn't have been more wrong. 

I just got out of the vault (in about 45 minutes. I don't get why people complain that they were there for 2 hours) and when you open the door and see the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge draw distance, it's one of the most breathtaking experiences ever. If they just started you out there, it would have been different, but the fact that you see the entire plain after being underground for so long...it's just amazing. 

As my first RPG, I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so long. Of course, I'm playing the game acting like a complete dick (I said I was happy when I killed the overseer after his daughter asked me, tehe.) It's fun. After Mass Effect turned me off so much from RPG's, (and Sci-Fi games in general, Mass Effect just ruined the whole setting for me) I would have never though I would go out and buy this. Already, it's great.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Is this...Fallout 3?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

Fallout 3?  I assume that's what your talking about and yeah that game is hella awesome.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax

ah fallout 3. i liked it but i got bored. i love games with a variety of enviroments, but if you like this dont forget about oblivion, and also check mass effect 2

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Ryax said:
    " ah fallout 3. i liked it but i got bored. i love games with a variety of enviroments, but if you like this dont forget about oblivion, and also check mass effect 2 "
    Ahh, I see I have fallen victim to the General Discussion glitch. 

Also, fuck Mass Effect in every hole it has until it pops. That game is anus.
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sanryd

For me, it was like Oblivion with guns, and that was all it needed to be. I seem to be an odd one out, but I hated Oblivion because of the combat. Fallout 3 was the perfect fix!

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Feser

Dammit! I'm going to have play this game, aren't I?

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sanryd
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Also, fuck Mass Effect in every hole it has until it pops. That game is anus. "
    May I ask why?
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Play Oblivion! 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shirogane

I've also just recently started playing FO3. And...i'm on my way to the musuem or whatever, and i'm now somewhat bored and can't really be stuffed making an effort anymore. Just don't like this area of the game, the open wastelands parts are nice, but the DC city part is just horrible.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By AltonBrown
    You know, I really disliked FO3. Just... too janky. Sold it and bought Tales of Vesperia. Playing as a baby was hilarious, though.

Also, why all of the ME hate? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2 thing make FO3 awesome for me.
    Random glitches that make you go wtflol? 
    Making random character builds with specific influences. For example I made a Billy Mayes character that focused on explosives (KABOOM).

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Daveyo520

I enjoyed Fallout 3 a great deal. It is one of my favs. I could talk my way out of anything in that game, but useually chose to shoot people because it was funner :P
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @tdk08 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Also, fuck Mass Effect in every hole it has until it pops. That game is anus. "
    May I ask why? "  
    The voice-acting was so shit I almost burst out laughing. 

The games ran at about 1/2 a frame per second on the 360. 

The story was hella confusing and I didn't know where I was going half the time. 

Once I got to Matriarch Benezia (I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING FOR HER!!!) All I had to defeat her with was a pistol, because I was the infiltrator class. It was so hard, I gave up. I don't regret it one bit. 

More reasons too, but these are the major ones.
    Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

prepare to spend many many hours with this game. it's great fun. it also pleases me to hear there are other people who don't like mass effect :D

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sanryd
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @tdk08 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    May I ask why? "  
    The voice-acting was so shit I almost burst out laughing.  The games ran at about 1/2 a frame per second on the 360.  The story was hella confusing and I didn't know where I was going half the time.  Once I got to Matriarch Benezia (I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING FOR HER!!!) All I had to defeat her with was a pistol, because I was the infiltrator class. It was so hard, I gave up. I don't regret it one bit.  More reasons too, but these are the major ones. "
    Oh, you meant Mass Effect (1)? I thought you were talking about the sequel.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller

It's fun, except the main storyline is far far too short.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @tdk08 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @tdk08 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    May I ask why? "  
    The voice-acting was so shit I almost burst out laughing.  The games ran at about 1/2 a frame per second on the 360.  The story was hella confusing and I didn't know where I was going half the time.  Once I got to Matriarch Benezia (I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LOOKING FOR HER!!!) All I had to defeat her with was a pistol, because I was the infiltrator class. It was so hard, I gave up. I don't regret it one bit.  More reasons too, but these are the major ones. "
    Oh, you meant Mass Effect (1)? I thought you were talking about the sequel. "
    I hate how people think it's okay for there to be a shit game because the sequel is better. 

Let's face it though, the whole universe of Mass Effect sucked. Star Wars screamed at me around every corner, seemed like a blatant rip-off of good movies.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Trilogy

Couldn't get passed the pile of ass that is the combat in fallout 3.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By mutha3
    @AlwaysAngry said:
        Let's face it though, the whole universe of Mass Effect sucked. Star Wars screamed at me around every corner, seemed like a blatant rip-off of good movies. "
    Hahaha.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @mutha3 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
        Let's face it though, the whole universe of Mass Effect sucked. Star Wars screamed at me around every corner, seemed like a blatant rip-off of good movies. "
    Hahaha. "
    Thanks for your insightful comment.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mutha3
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    Thanks for your insightful comment. "
    A quick glance through your post history tells me you're kinda not really in the position to say that.

Besides, I kinda don't really see what makes Mass Effect a star wars ripoff. Not more so then any scifi flick released in the past 20 years at least.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By thatfrood
    @mutha3 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    A quick glance through your post history tells me you're kinda not really in the position to say that.  Besides, I kinda don't really see what makes Mass Effect a star wars ripoff. Not more so then any scifi flick released in the past 20 years at least. "
    eh, to be fair, it does have a bunch of similarities. Namely the "magic powers" the characters can use. (sure, they explain it away in the game, but it sounds like a load of bs and hand waving)
    I feel like it's less them trying to rip-off star wars, though, and moreso that they simply wanted to create a world that had space magic.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutha3
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    A quick glance through your post history tells me you're kinda not really in the position to say that.  Besides, I kinda don't really see what makes Mass Effect a star wars ripoff. Not more so then any scifi flick released in the past 20 years at least. "
    eh, to be fair, it does have a bunch of similarities. Namely the "magic powers" the characters can use. (sure, they explain it away in the game, but it sounds like a load of bs and hand waving) I feel like it's less them trying to rip-off star wars, though, and moreso that they simply wanted to create a world that had space magic. "
    Exactly. Just like most Sci-fi tries to actually. If you look at this from the angle that its a videogame, and magic systems are a staple for the RPG genre, I really doubt much influence from Star Wars affected that.

Its kinda dumb, I agree. But I don't see how that makes it similar to Star Wars.

(which is far more silly, for a whoooole other load of reasons)
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @mutha3 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    Eeeeeh... 

Creeper.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By haggis
    @mutha3: Mass Effect borrowed pretty heavily from Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Firefly, etc. But that's generally what sci-fi does, so I'm not sure why anyone would complain about it.

Mass Effect had its problems, but 1) the frame rate was not a problem (I don't understand why people keep saying this, but maybe I'm the only one who didn't have framerate problems), 2) the voice acting was done by long-time career voice actors, and they did a great job compared to most other games out there. The writing ... well, it was decent. But a lot of the side missions were silly. The main part of Mass Effect, though, was decent. I can understand people not liking it, but calling it crap is simply indefensible. It did what it did pretty well. The same goes for Fallout 3.

Mostly, though, I wish people on these boards were able to actually tell us why they didn't like things, rather than just spouting off that its "crap" or "ass", which usually just means they only watched the trailer and didn't actually play the game.

Fallout 3, like Oblivion, has its set of gameplay flaws. But the visuals were spectacular, and the gameplay was great. The people who tend to not like it are usually FPS players, so it's not really a surprise that they don't like the combat. The same goes for Mass Effect.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mutha3
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    Eeeeeh...   Creeper. "
    Thanks for proving my claim.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thatfrood
    @mutha3: yeah, I agree, Star Wars has gotten absolutely ridiculous. Comparisons to Star Wars are almost unavoidable because it kind of wrote the book for a certain genre of sci-fi. I don't disagree that it makes complete sense that Mass Effect would have a magic system and be in space and have it not be a pure derivative of Star Wars. I'm just sayin', like, you can see how someone might think that.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @AlwaysAngry said: 
    Sorry to tell you but most good things copy / draw inspiration from other popular things in that medium. Take shakespeare for example he only wrote 2 original plays out of 37. Its not about who originates sometimes its just about who does it right. Also glad you liked fallout 3, couldn't really get into that game.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @mutha3 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
    Hahaha. "
    Eeeeeh...   Creeper. "
    Thanks for proving my claim. "
    Why did you come here just to shit on my thread? Does my opinion affect you that much? Will it really bother you in life knowing that I don't like Mass Effect? If so, you need to get help. Please stop shitting on my thread.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By super_machine

This is one of the games I regret buying actually. I got bored, and it crashed a lot on my PS3. I enjoyed oblivion a whole lot more.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thatfrood
    @AlwaysAngry: dude, you made a thread. Deal with it. You are kind of putting yourself in the spotlight. You'll get a few tomatoes from the audience.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By floodiastus

Like all bethesda games, fallout 3 is broken by the mechanics. You never die cuz of you can pause and use stims at any time, there is no challenge at all (well as soon as you break the economy curve anyway). With oblivion it was the "for the best build put all skills you NEVER use as your primary skills and the ones you use most as your secondary" bs that completely ruined the game for me because of mobs leveling up as you do. 

Still cannot help but love the ideas and settings, dark RPGs are where it's at :)

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thatfrood
    @floodiastus said:

" Like all bethesda games, fallout 3 is broken by the mechanics. You never die cuz of you can pause and use stims at any time, there is no challenge at all (well as soon as you break the economy curve anyway). With oblivion it was the "for the best build put all skills you NEVER use as your primary skills and the ones you use most as your secondary" bs that completely ruined the game for me because of mobs leveling up as you do.  Still cannot help but love the ideas and settings, dark RPGs are where it's at :) "

Morrowind, man. Play Morrowind.
    Eff Oblivion. It is shit compared to Morrowind. It's the best game they've made by far.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By DevWil

OP, i don't know what games you've been playing that have better voice acting than Mass Effect. 

the story wasn't confusing.  not being able to defeat benezia is your fault, not the game's.  the framerate wasn't awful. 

if you want to criticize the mako, the elevators, and the texture pop-in...go right ahead, but your criticisms don't really stand up well.

and if mass effect is too derivative of other sci-fi works to stand on its own,  i guess nobody can write anything set in outer space ever again.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By floodiastus
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @floodiastus said:

" Like all bethesda games, fallout 3 is broken by the mechanics. You never die cuz of you can pause and use stims at any time, there is no challenge at all (well as soon as you break the economy curve anyway). With oblivion it was the "for the best build put all skills you NEVER use as your primary skills and the ones you use most as your secondary" bs that completely ruined the game for me because of mobs leveling up as you do.  Still cannot help but love the ideas and settings, dark RPGs are where it's at :) "

Morrowind, man. Play Morrowind. Eff Oblivion. It is shit compared to Morrowind. It's the best game they've made by far. "
    Yeah I did, Ive played them all, the older eldar scrolls too. Much better games I agree :) I was looking forward to oblivion so much though and when that system was completely broken I was sad...
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mutha3
    @AlwaysAngry said:

Why did you come here just to shit on my thread? Does my opinion affect you that much? Will it really bother you in life knowing that I don't like Mass Effect? If so, you need to get help. Please stop shitting on my thread. "
    Nah, it just bothers me that someone would call the star war saga 'good'.

My first remark may have been tongue in cheek, but after that I laid out my arguments as to why Mass Effect doesn't ripoff Star Wars anymore then most Scifi.  Its called: 'having a dissenting opinion'.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @ThatFrood: I made a thread about Fallout 3, let's keep it that way.  

I made a comment about Mass Effect, it shouldn't make him go into a nerd-rage.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thatfrood
    @floodiastus said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " @floodiastus said:

Morrowind, man. Play Morrowind. Eff Oblivion. It is shit compared to Morrowind. It's the best game they've made by far. "
    Yeah I did, Ive played them all, the older eldar scrolls too. Much better games I agree :) I was looking forward to oblivion so much though and when that system was completely broken I was sad... "
    Yeah, they really screwed up the leveling in Oblivion. Made progressing not very fun at all. Plus it looked really generic. Morrowind was a much more interesting place.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mutha3
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @ThatFrood: I made a thread about Fallout 3, let's keep it that way.   I made a comment about Mass Effect, it shouldn't make him go into a nerd-rage. "
    two sentences=nerd rage
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By floodiastus
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " @floodiastus said:

Yeah I did, Ive played them all, the older eldar scrolls too. Much better games I agree :) I was looking forward to oblivion so much though and when that system was completely broken I was sad... "
    Yeah, they really screwed up the leveling in Oblivion. Made progressing not very fun at all. Plus it looked really generic. Morrowind was a much more interesting place. "
    I really hope that they will skip the mob-leveling stuff in their next eldar scrolls, if so im all over it. But I prolly will be all over it anyway :D
    SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SuperZamrod
    @AlwaysAngry: 

fuck that dude.  mass effect 1 & 2 are awesome and among the best games this gen.  Mass effect 1 may have had its fair share of technical difficulties, but if you looked past those there was a vast and terrific universe there and fantastic game play.  and the second one just improves upon this in every way. 
    RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RedneckedCrake
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " ah fallout 3. i liked it but i got bored. i love games with a variety of enviroments, but if you like this dont forget about oblivion, and also check mass effect 2 "
    Ahh, I see I have fallen victim to the General Discussion glitch.  Also, fuck Mass Effect in every hole it has until it pops. That game is anus. "
    Oh wow, why all the hate for Mass Effect? I was turned off to it at first but I slowly warmed up to it and even bought the second one. 

But yeah, Fallout was a series I had never played before Fallout 3 so of course I had no idea what I was stepping into when I got it for Christmas from one of my relatives. The first time out of the Vault is a truly mesmerizing experience. Right up there with Oblivion as my favorite RPG for this gen.
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HellBrendy

Reading this thread actually gave me one of the three answers in the "Up and atom"-quest.

JQuizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JQuizzle

I know Fallout 3 is one of the greatest things in the world!!!!!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By toowalrus

Fallout 3 is FUCKING sweet. I love that game. There are a few DLC packs I haven't played yet, thanks for reminding me. I got the full 1000/1000 points on the original game, and kept playing after that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Tennmuerti

Fallout 3 is a good game at best.
    It's a decent if very flawed RPG.
    It is a completely shit Fallout game.
    imho

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Fallout 3 next to Fable 1 and 2 are the only RPGs I can really enjoy and totally get sucked right into. One thing i always dispised about RPGs was how you had to level crunch for an hour or two before you could beat a boss, how is that in anyway enjoyable to someone who has spent a long time playing action games and was use to games flowing without holding you up. Fallout 3 is nothing like that and that is what makes it so great, rather than forcing players to level up, the game let's you go at your own pace and you are instead encouraged to level up due to all the fun perks you can get, so many to choose from that the only problem is which ones to choose. V.A.T.S is also another big thing that makes this game fun.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By TheGreatGuero

After hating Oblivion so much, I could have easily overlooked this game. It didn't really interest me much, but I gave it a chance. Now it's one of my all-time favorite games, and hands down just one of the best games ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trilogy said:
    " Couldn't get passed the pile of ass that is the combat in fallout 3. "
    wrong

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.