Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

PC Joystick Support

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a Logitech "Dual Action" gamepad, specifically this one:

I've used it to play the PC version of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, but I was disappointed to find that a much newer game, Fallout 3, is giving me so many problems. Under the game's options menu, I am able to set buttons under their "joystick" option. Even though I am able to set the controls, while in game it ignores joypad input though it accepts keyboard and mouse input.

To make matters even more annoying, exiting the game resets my joypad configuration to the defaults so I have to redefine the buttons for every session. Does anyone know what's up with Fallout's joystick support? 

I am aware of the work-around by mapping joypad buttons to keyboard keys, but I would really prefer a more direct solution (maybe even support for the analog sticks?).
    dDefinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dDefinder

Are you logging into live? I have the same problem with the HUD opacity changing. You change the setting while not logged in LIVE and change it again whiled logged in. Now whenever LIVE logs in it should not change the control settings to default.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those interested, I used a program called Xmapper to map all the gamebad buttons to keyboard and mouse input. The only downside is analog movement isn't possible since the analog stick is mapped to the digital WASD keys.

I tried JoyToKey but it didn't recognize the right analog stick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I came across a much better fix than mapping the gamepad to keyboard and mouse inputs: emulate a 360 controller. The result: the Fallout 3 software recognizes the gamepad as a genuine Microsoft XBox 360 controller. All it takes is copying two files into the same directory as Fallout3.exe.
    I use a Logitech wired dual analog controller. The only problems I had is the game crashed since my controller doesn't have rumble (so I turned off rumble). Also, in the text files it has
    A=1
    B=2
    X=3
    Y=4
    and I had to change it to
    A=2
    B=3
    X=1
    Y=4
    but those were the only changes I had to make for my gamepad to run as a perfectly usable XBox controller.

Here's where you can get the files and basic instructions. Post if you would like to know more. 

EDIT: More up-to-date information and links may be found at  http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/xbox-360-controller-emulation-on-the-pc/242045/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.