Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Playing Fallout 3 in Parallel Universes

edenspresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By edenspresence

So I picked up Fallout 3 on the PC shortly after it came out. I stuck it in, installed it and started the game. Firstly, how come whatever you do to the character creater you pretty much look the same. Oh well it's irrelevant because you rarely see your character. I enjoyed the bit about an hour after I left the vault but then I just got.. bored, How come it tops my list for best games I played in 2009 then? 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/edenspresence/best-games-i-played-in-2009/46-18716/     

Basically, I have no idea what happened. I played it and wasn't enjoying it. I told my friends this and went on and on about how I found Fallout 3 boring. Well I take this all back... utterly. 

So about 2 months ago, after installing Windows 7, I decided I felt like playing a PC game. So as to not let a highly heralded game go to waste I reinstalled Fallout 3 on a whim. Should I continue my old character I thought? No, there was no love with that character, also I will look at an achievement guide and make sure I haven't missed any. So I started a new character. Again I went through the kind of "set piece" leading up to exiting the vault. After this is where things changed. 

I started focusing my efforts for a start. By going to a place and staying there until things were done (well nearly). Megaton is the obvious first stop and there is quite a bit to do. Getting the house in Megaton really brought the game together for me. Just having that place to go back to and heal and store things helped so much. Once I had this done it allowed me to get on with the game and a many of you will know... the real game lies in the side quests. The main quest is fun, but the amusing and bizarre side quests are where the fun really lies. My special favourites are "Oasis" and "Stealing Independence". One involves a talking tree and the other involves a robot who thinks he is attending the US Declaration of Independence. Without having played the other Fallout games, these crazy, fun characters were quite unexpected! 

Well I finished the game recently and in conclusion I loved it... except for the crashing.. and my experience in the weird alternate reality I played it first time. 

Did anyone else share my experience?

edenspresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By edenspresence

So I picked up Fallout 3 on the PC shortly after it came out. I stuck it in, installed it and started the game. Firstly, how come whatever you do to the character creater you pretty much look the same. Oh well it's irrelevant because you rarely see your character. I enjoyed the bit about an hour after I left the vault but then I just got.. bored, How come it tops my list for best games I played in 2009 then? 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/edenspresence/best-games-i-played-in-2009/46-18716/     

Basically, I have no idea what happened. I played it and wasn't enjoying it. I told my friends this and went on and on about how I found Fallout 3 boring. Well I take this all back... utterly. 

So about 2 months ago, after installing Windows 7, I decided I felt like playing a PC game. So as to not let a highly heralded game go to waste I reinstalled Fallout 3 on a whim. Should I continue my old character I thought? No, there was no love with that character, also I will look at an achievement guide and make sure I haven't missed any. So I started a new character. Again I went through the kind of "set piece" leading up to exiting the vault. After this is where things changed. 

I started focusing my efforts for a start. By going to a place and staying there until things were done (well nearly). Megaton is the obvious first stop and there is quite a bit to do. Getting the house in Megaton really brought the game together for me. Just having that place to go back to and heal and store things helped so much. Once I had this done it allowed me to get on with the game and a many of you will know... the real game lies in the side quests. The main quest is fun, but the amusing and bizarre side quests are where the fun really lies. My special favourites are "Oasis" and "Stealing Independence". One involves a talking tree and the other involves a robot who thinks he is attending the US Declaration of Independence. Without having played the other Fallout games, these crazy, fun characters were quite unexpected! 

Well I finished the game recently and in conclusion I loved it... except for the crashing.. and my experience in the weird alternate reality I played it first time. 

Did anyone else share my experience?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jedted

Glad that you decided to give it a second chance!  While i didn't have the same experiance as you i recently bought Fallout 3 for the 360(if i played the PC version i'd be too tempted to use the command console) and i've been enjoying every minute of it.  I rented it earlier in the year and i enjoyed it back then, however since i wasn't gonna bother renewing in from blockbuster i returned it and decided to pick it up later. 

After playing through the main story(including broken steel) aswell as many of the side quests i'll say it's one of the most memorable games i played this year.  The combat i found a tad frustrating especially early in the game when your short on ammo and stimpaks as i leveled up i started to enjoy it more.  Many of my early encounters lead to me dying but maybe that's my fault for not playing on the lowest difficulty until i learn the ropes. 

My favorite side quests are "Stealing Independence" and "Oasis" for the reasons you mentioned but i also enjoyed "Tenpenny Tower" and "Tranquility Lane".  Tenpenny because you help a group of gouls move in by convincing all the snooty bigots to move out, and Tranquility because it forces you to perform objectives all for some psycotic doctor's amusment(or you can shut it all down).  Also, i liked "Stealing Independence because one of the characters in it is based off of one of my all time favorite female relic hunters(no, not Laura Croft). 

I haven't played the other DLC packs yet but i'm looking forward to it and seeing what kind of loot i get for completing them. 

edenspresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By edenspresence

Tranquility lane really came from left field! It was random and different. Shows the games ability to turn everything on its head.  

Good comments Jedted :)

Theavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Theavy

The same thing happened to me. Fallout 3 was my first game i played on my xbox360 ( At this time i had my ps3 for about a year)  and after about an hour i thought the game was so dreadful that i wanted to take it back to blockbuster and claim the game was broken therefore allowing me to explore the exclusives that the xbox had to offer (the game was rented). After realizing that blockbuster was closed i planed the next day to abandon the game for something new. As it went my only means of transportation was skiiing for the afternoon, so out of boredom i decided to pop in the only game i had, ( i was on vacation and dident bring the ps3 ) with much time to kill I made it from megaton to the dc ruins and everything in between, this is when i fell absolutely in love with the game the post apocalyptic wasteland was such an interesting, filled with surprises world that shocked and intrigued me at every turn. Now i own the game of the year edition with a logged 70 hours and have just now started a new character. This game is truly amazing if you havent played it yet go now and pick up a copy, and yes the game of the year edition is worth buying but if you have just started playing i suggest that you level up your character a bunch before exploring the expansions.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Things turned out a little differently for me. After hating Oblivion and never being able to enjoy it like most people, I was reluctant to even play Fallout 3. I thought the setting looked kind of dull and boring. I rented it anyway. Dude, I was sucked in from the start. Liam Neeson probably had a pretty big part in that, since I'm a big fan of the guy and was so stoked that he was my father growing up in the vault. Then I really liked the whole vault setting, and totally was falling for Amata right from the beginning. 

Long story short, I freaking LOVE this game. I fell in love with it when I rented it... almost bought it later but then held off because of the announcement of the GOTY edition. Finally got the GOTY edition when it came out and got back to it. I still haven't beaten it, but I started over and have seen a whole lot of stuff already, and still have a long way to go. I love exploring and scavenging the Wasteland. There's so much to do and see, and so many great characters throughout. I can't wait to replay it on the other paths too.

I just finished Tranquility Lane and absolutely loved it and was totally stunned by what happened after it ended. I wasn't expecting that at all, since I hadn't really followed the clues to lead me there. Also, I was very shocked by what happened in the Waters of Life quest, or whatever it's called. I actually thought that would have been the final quest, but I'm glad to see I was very wrong. Prior to that, I had fun in Vault 112, which was the one with the gas leak. Fun stuff. All in all, just a phenomenal game. One of the best games I've ever played, and this is coming from a guy who's been an avid gamer for almost 20 years now. It's without question among my top 10 of all time already, and I wonder if it could possibly become my new all-time favorite. I just can't get enough of it. The attention to detail is so impressive. The game also looks fantastic, and it's so deep and immersive. Sure, the combat system could be improved, but it does get the job done. I'm also enamored by the variety you find out in the Wasteland, and how they did such an amazing job constructing the wasteland. Seriously, I feel like once I've seen an area, I never forget it, and I seem to really have a good idea of where I am out there, even though such a large portion of the world is barren. That's an impressive feat. You got areas like the Dunwich building, which turn the tables and present you with an atmosphere that more closely resembles a survival horror game, and even it has it's own deep story and conclusion. WHAT A GAME!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.