Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Please Sell Me On Fallout 3

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By thefjk

I don't get it. Did I miss something?

When I first got my PS3 I was dieing for an RPG, rented Oblivion and hated it before even leaving the tutorial section. A year down the line I wondered how I skipped on a 10/10 game and tried it again... I got out of the tutorial section and did a few quests but still, nothing! Same with Fallout 3.

Why do people love these games? I'm a big RPG fan, I like my turn-based stuff but enjoy real-time even more. I thought FFXII's system was a gift from heaven and I still think of returning to Azeroth one day, even after two years the wound hasn't fully healed yet! I didn't use to, but I love my shooters now... owned so many people in COD4 and provide a free funeral service to Helgast and ISA everywhere.

RPG + GUNS = WIN, right? So why can't I play these games... I feel like I'm left out or something. I know I'm not stuck on old ways, because I try every game out there, I never throw something away without playing it for myself... especially something with awesome reviews. I can't find anything 'wrong' with them, I just get bored, the games end up feeling empty and I can't keep playing.

Seriously, WTF?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

It's a bad game. Don't buy it.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Coltonio7

It's great. The storyline...not so much.

Just wandering around though and finding sub-stories is so great though!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    Vinchenzo said:
    "It's a bad game. Don't buy it."
    fail
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
    CL60 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    fail"
    I wish I had been told what I said, that way I hadn't bought it. Probably would have enjoyed it twice as much if VATS wasn't such a pile of crap.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
    dcpc10 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    I have to agree, its one of those games to me that are unbelieveably overrated. I still dont get what is so special about it, and I got sick of it before I even finished it."
    Exactly. I bought it hoping it was better than Elder Scrolls, but it was just a clone. An ugly clone.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60

Fail

Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Budster

Man Bethesda really had a horrible story in it with just some shitty animation and  second rate voice work, but I loved the original fallout's and I'm sure a lot of others don't, can't get past the old style game play and how it doesn't really hold your hand. In addition this is just my opinion when comparing it to the older Fallout's by Black Isle.

But just as a game in general its pretty good. They're parts of the game I enjoyed though like the environment and some of the guns, but you get way too powerful early on i think.

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thefjk

I was expecting a rush of 'GTFO' replies... it's nice to know that I'm not crazy... I'm looking forward to Fallout Vegas though, I hope they stray/improve on Bethesda's style to make a better game. I'll probably rent it just in case!

Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Budster

Yeah I'm kinda looking forward to Vegas too. Hopefully they will have way better writing and also i heard that some of Fallout 2 development team is there so...Hell yeah!!!

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ninjakiller

You just gotta get into it, playing it on PC right now actually.   With all the cheats i'm using its actually not that bad.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think what really sold me on it instantly was Liam Neeson and the whole opening part in the Vault. I didn't enjoy Oblivion, and really didn't think I'd like Fallout 3. I am so glad I actually gave it a chance. I consider it to probably be the 2nd best game I played from 2008. I loved the whole Mad Max feel of it all. I think they made a few very wise improvements over Oblivion and put us in a much more interesting world. Heh, I modelled my first character after Jesus, which turned out to be a pretty amusing experience. Sure, I'd always do the right thing, but I was doing it while equipped with shotguns, assault rifles, grenades and the like, which... let's face it, is pretty freaking awesome.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond

The game is great, one of my fav games from 08.  I honestly can't see why someone would hate Oblivion as much as you did.  Fallout 3 is similar, but better in most every way, but not extremely different.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fallout 3, to me, was much more akin to Morrowind than it was to Oblivion. Obviously the control system is really similar, but the restrictions (or lack thereof) on play type and the emphasis on loot felt like Bethesda had gone back a few years to the formula that worked best.

Unlike Oblivion, Fallout is at its best when you disregard the story completely and explore the landscape. Though a barren wasteland, it has more character and more engaging enemies than the last Elder Scrolls game. Combat is weird at first, but you'll get the hang of Vats.

I was sucked in almost immediately, and the game never let go from there. From what I've heard from less fanatical people, however, is that the first ten hours--that is, the time window in which you are struggling at every moment for your own survival--feels tedious and drags the game's pacing down. On the bright side, those same people claim if you can make it through the first arduous hours in the wasteland, you'll find an experience worth having.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

I hope you enjoy running up to people point blank and hitting pause to aim at their head with a percentage next to it.

If not, probably not that great of an idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreatGuero said:
    Heh, I modelled my first character after Jesus, which turned out to be a pretty amusing experience. Sure, I'd always do the right thing, but I was doing it while equipped with shotguns, assault rifles, grenades and the like, which... let's face it, is pretty freaking awesome. "
    Haha. This is the best thing I've ever read.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Gunner
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    Heh, I modelled my first character after Jesus, which turned out to be a pretty amusing experience. Sure, I'd always do the right thing, but I was doing it while equipped with shotguns, assault rifles, grenades and the like, which... let's face it, is pretty freaking awesome. "
    Haha. This is the best thing I've ever read."
    what would have made it 100 times better is if he said "Im gunna renovate your ass!" while shooting super mutants.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

I like my turn-based stuff but enjoy real-time even more.

I feel the same way, but I liked Fallout 3, as a fan of previous game... Have you played those?

I played the PC game and liked the game a lot.  It does take a while to get into it, but once there, I felt really immersed in the desolate yet beautiful world they created, for the most part. (-sh*t animation). I wanted to explore it the world because there's loads of interesting stuff to discover. It has very good characterization even if the story may be lacking. 

VATS felt dodgy at first but, I soon got used to it. It could of course been a lot better though.

I think it takes a patient gamer to realize it's merits, I am guessing your not that.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19  Edited By MachoFantastico

I also wanted to like Fallout 3, but it's somewhat of a poor game in my own personal opinion. It was a little to like Oblivion and I actually found it rather dull and boring, especially that terrible shooting system. 

But that's my opinion. Though I think a lot of folks would say it was slightly overated by the media.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    Haha. This is the best thing I've ever read."
    Agreed
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

I honestly can't really sell you on it because of my experience with it...but its just me in general and open world games. I buy them, even if I'm really excited and can't find many problems at all with them(not the case with Fallout 3, enjoyed it but I can list problems that would span a mile long) and within a week I put them away, and never really touch them again. If I do, its a long time past, and I still barely do anything with them. I found Fallout 3 enjoying for a while, and I loved to watch the slow- mo deaths in VATS, but as soon as that started to get old, I was getting bored with it.

cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cdstacker

Maybe it just isn't for you? Just because the majority of people enjoy it doesn't mean you have too. I found assassin's creed to be really boring and utterly hated the story but I have some very good friends which loved it. If you tried it and didn't like it play something else, hell at least you'll save some money.

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thefjk
    Linkyshinks said:
    "
    I like my turn-based stuff but enjoy real-time even more.

I feel the same way, but I liked Fallout 3, as a fan of previous game... Have you played those?

I played the PC game and liked the game a lot.  It does take a while to get into it, but once there, I felt really immersed in the desolate yet beautiful world they created, for the most part. (-sh*t animation). I wanted to explore it the world because there's loads of interesting stuff to discover. It has very good characterization even if the story may be lacking.  VATS felt dodgy at first but, I soon got used to it. It could of course been a lot better though.I think it takes a patient gamer to realize it's merits, I am guessing your not that."
    I haven't played the old ones, and you are right I'm not patient.

After leaving the vault I tried to play it different ways to see if it'd make any difference. Ignoring the quests turned out to be great fun, but only until you died at the hands of a super crab and I wasn't walking all the way out there again! I have to say the game's openness was sort of a bad thing for me, cuz the experience wasn't really focused enough. More stuff needed to happen... and am sure it did (like the giant super mutant fight at the radio station) but you'd run around fighting mobs for ages before something like that happened again and it probably only happened in story quests.

*Budster - That's exactly why I'm looking forward to it, hoping for a slightly diffferent experience. I doubt they'd bring back the old gameplay, but maybe give Vegas some focus to it.

*Diamond - Me too. I'm generally a sheep when it comes to gaming, just playing what everyone else is. Maybe it's because I played it a year late, but how does that have anything to do with the game?

*TheGreatGuerro - I really enjoyed the Vault section!
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By SpinCookie

I wasn't feeling it at first, but once you just let loose and start exploring it becomes addicting.  You'll find yourself always trying to find new areas and kill enemies and complete side quests just so you can keep leveling up, it's really fun.  The VATS system is a great combat system that is worth experiencing too. 

I was on the fence about it when I was around 4 hours in, now I'm 25 hours in and am completely addicted, it's a fantastic game.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aas

The slavers play beer pong. There, you're now convinced!

No Caption Provided
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By atejas

Depends...from an exploration/atmosphere/combat standpoint, it's a poor man's STALKER, but it has a lot of interesting features which make it worthwhile. An excellent game, if riddled with horrendous issues.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By tebbit

I played it through, and It had those totally awesome moments, a la assassains guild missions in oblivion, but (also like oblivion) the main story wasn't hugely compelling, VATS felt like it shouldn't have been crammed into an FPS, although it too had its moments of coolness, like blowing peoples' heads clean off.

Unlike Oblivion, I found exploration a great joy, because theres a lot of interesting stuff to find, and its not all randomly generated dungeons. And I like sci-fi more than fantasy.

So, closing statements: Should have made it 3rd Person and top down, also not re-used various things from Oblivion that were stupid, then refused to fix them.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jmrwacko

Buy the PC version. It has mods. One mod in particular, Martigen's Mutant Mod, increases the number of spawns by a ridiculous amount and umphs the gameplay to the nth degree. Also, there's mods that let you drive vehicles! Huzzah!

atejas said:

"Depends...from an exploration/atmosphere/combat standpoint, it's a poor man's STALKER, but it has a lot of interesting features which make it worthwhile. An excellent game, if riddled with horrendous issues."
    Did you just call Fallout 3 a poor man's STALKER? That's like calling prime rib the poor man's spam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.