Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

When to start/install DLC?

souperM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By souperM

Hi,

Im quite far into the original fallout 3, 94 hours to be exact with a lot left to discover but I have hit the level cap. As such my question was when should I install the DLC because as far as I'm aware Broken Steel raises the cap to 30 and I don't want to lose the XP I could be earning now however I hear it also drastically increases the difficulty of the game with the new characters and 3Dog gives away some of the story. In which order should I play them and when?

S

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nukesniper
    @souperM:
    I got the Game of the Year edition and installed all of the DLC content immediately. I loved the game and it stopped me from playing MW2 for at least a week on my way to 1550 gamerscore. I didn't notice the difficulty being too hard, nor did I notice 3Dog giving anything away. I'm sure that whatever you have heard is most likely a critical comparison of the DLC and would be aimed to make sure everyone getting them knows exactly what might happen. Which is fine in its own right, but I enjoyed Fallout 3 with all the DLC sitting there for my entire duration of play. 

Note: I didn't do anything in the DLC until I beat the whole main story, or was on the last mission. The raised level cap is pretty awesome, so you know. 

Have fun with the DLC. It is some pretty darn good stuff.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I played the DLC after I beat the game.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fynne

I installed the DLC after I finished the game.  It does add a new (tough) super mutant type person but I'm not sure they show up in all areas or just the new ones.  Not that it mattered since I almost never died in that game.  The only must have expansion is Broken Steel, because it allows you to raise the level cap.  It also continues the story immediately after the end of the regular campaign.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SteamPunkJin

There seems to be ONE radio glitch with Three-dog and it's nothing game ruining:

That being said, the new monsters are pretty tough, but nothing you can't handle by the time you're level 20 (pack of Albino Radscorps imo being the toughest)

With the exception of Broken Steel the other DLCs are really just quests that can be tackled in any order you like, whenever you want. (On all my new chars I hit Op.Anchorage right away for the Power Armor and Stealth Suit)
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Well definently get broken steel right away if only because at level 28 you can get every location in the game marked on your map which makes it a lot easier to get all of the bobbleheads and just so you can be absolutely sure you've seen everything.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

If you don't want to install Broken Steel on a second playthrough, just start the final mission, install it, and once you get a message saying the caps been raised complete the mission. Three Dog does actually give away the ending during one of his broadcasts.

souperM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By souperM

Thanks for the advice people. I think i'll install the DLC and just keep the radio off until i've finished the original main storyline. Keep getting sidetracked though in my attempt to completely explore the map.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.