Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Will enemies "level up" like they do in oblivion?

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trickster

So yeah, in Oblivion the enemies would level up and become stronger at roughly the same pace that you yourself did, I'm just curious if anyone knows if this will be the case in Fallout 3 as well. Would REALLY be a bummer if that were the case, I can just imaging having played 50 hours and have gotten some pretty slick gear and abilites, and somehow the same enemies that gave you trouble at the very start of the game are still causing you trouble... urgh

But yeah, the question, if you know the answer, please do tell :)

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I don't know. For some odd reason I have been prevented from going to a store and picking this up. My local gamestop said that they don't have any copies, guess they must have sold out. But seeing as your asking other people who haven't played ill give you the answer you want. what?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner

From what ive heard no. The enemies will get stronger the further you venture out of the starting place.
    Sort of like an MMO

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Bulldog19892

No it's not. They've said in interviews that they're not doing it that way, and previews of the game have said things like 'if you stray too far into uncharted territory, you'll get eaten alive by the higher level enemies. You'll have to stay in the lower level areas until you're strong enough to venture further.'

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

After all the complaining that leveling system received...I would be shocked to see Bethesda ever use it again.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Trickster
    MasturbatingBear said:
    "I don't know. For some odd reason I have been prevented from going to a store and picking this up. My local gamestop said that they don't have any copies, guess they must have sold out. But seeing as your asking other people who haven't played ill give you the answer you want. what?"
    Maybe my english is a bit rusty, but... wat?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trickster said:
    "

So yeah, in Oblivion the enemies would level up and become stronger at roughly the same pace that you yourself did, I'm just curious if anyone knows if this will be the case in Fallout 3 as well. Would REALLY be a bummer if that were the case, I can just imaging having played 50 hours and have gotten some pretty slick gear and abilites, and somehow the same enemies that gave you trouble at the very start of the game are still causing you trouble... urgh

"

In Oblivion, I think the Imperial Guard was the only type of NPC/enemy that leveled with you.  Excepting that, all of the other enemy types simply threw new variations to match and/or rival your level (case in point: Daedric baddies). 

In any case, I don't believe Bethesda kept the leveling system, but the only reinforcement I have for that statement is a remark made in a development interview during the production stages of Fallout 3.  It was something like, "In Fallout 3, we can give you the end all weapons early, but we'll restrict your ammo, whereas in Oblivion, we'd withhold the top tier items from a low-leveled character all together."
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Demilich

As said here, and before by Bethesda, no.

sado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sado

So glad they don't.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Trickster said:
    "

"

In Oblivion, I think the Imperial Guard was the only type of NPC/enemy that leveled with you.  Excepting that, all of the other enemy types simply threw new variations to match and/or rival your level (case in point: Daedric baddies). 
    No, the monsters all leveled up with you. A level 1 wolf at the beginning of the game would be a level 50 wolf when you were level 50.
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Thank god Bethesda isn't going to go down that path again.

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By The_Icon

I dont think they will level with you. But on the flip side there will be enemies more powerful than you.

Whitefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Whitefire
    PureRok said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Trickster said:
    "

"

No, the monsters all leveled up with you. A level 1 wolf at the beginning of the game would be a level 50 wolf when you were level 50."
    What he said
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jayge_

They do not level-scale, yeah. More like Morrowind in that regard.

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MadMatr07

Thank god for that. Leveling up in the game was pointless because If you didn't level right you would get eaten alive by the enemies on the default difficulty level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.