Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Companions and power armor >_<

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#1  Edited By Brackynews

Thanks duders. There it is.

I didn't realise that Talk was A) a submenu and B) where all the other non-talking commands are (but with talking). Good one Howard.

----

I'm having trouble deciding what irks me more....

• I can't tell my follower to exit or repair their armor (I can only strip it off them and repair it on a new frame)
    • My follower's armor gets damaged 5 times faster than mine BECAUSE THEY'RE BUMRUSHING IDIOTS

Who was the genius at Beth who decided that not only should there be no contextual way to get someone out of power armor, but you also can't send your companions home without finding a new companion to recruit? Thankfully they exit the frame before doing that.

Am I really missing something? Followers can enter a frame without it having a fusion core. Is that a sploit or is it affecting durability?

Also Jesus Piper, just use the damn Minigun when you're holding it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

You absolutely can send a companion home without asking another to follow you. Go speak to them, Talk -> Dismiss. Similarly, if you talk to a companion while they are in power armor, "How is our relationship" gets replaced by "exit power armor."

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You should probably do some research or just try some simple things in the game before gong on a rant in a online forum, because as stated above you can get them to exit the armor and you can send them home and wander the wasteland alone. There is even a perk where being alone empowers you, so of course you can do it...

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can also tell companions to use certain weapons. It's T on pc when you're in their inventory.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@konig_kei: You can, but they have to have ammo for that weapon before they'll use it.

I have tons of 10mm ammo so I crafted a nice 10mm pistol for a companion. They used it just fine... until they ran out of the ammo I gave them. At that point they switched to using a stock 10mm pistol (!!!) that the game automagically put in their inventory.

Bethesda, just give companions infinite ammo for whatever gun we give them (except perhaps heavy weapons because OP, but whatever). Add a simple "searching for loot" idle animation and a "I found some ammo!" dialog and boom, suspension of disbelief.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They never figured out how to not have them stuck in walls or stuck in a down state(when nobody has attacked), i think asking them for anything complex is a little to much tbh.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bane said:

@konig_kei: You can, but they have to have ammo for that weapon before they'll use it.

I have tons of 10mm ammo so I crafted a nice 10mm pistol for a companion. They used it just fine... until they ran out of the ammo I gave them. At that point they switched to using a stock 10mm pistol (!!!) that the game automagically put in their inventory.

Bethesda, just give companions infinite ammo for whatever gun we give them (except perhaps heavy weapons because OP, but whatever). Add a simple "searching for loot" idle animation and a "I found some ammo!" dialog and boom, suspension of disbelief.

In New Vegas as long as your companion had 1 bullet of a particular ammo type they'll have infinite ammo. Give that a try.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: that works for settlers in fo4 but not companions this time around.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Brackynews

Thanks duders. There it is.

I didn't realise that Talk was A) a submenu and B) where all the other commands are. Christ.

@konig_kei said:

You can also tell companions to use certain weapons. It's T on pc when you're in their inventory.

It's fussy, like in Skyrim, which I use a mod to control my companions precisely. Even with ammo and more powerful weapons my Piper prefers a handgun. She also doesn't require ammo for the handgun but perhaps as Bane says that's her using a gimped stock. I don't see it in her inventory?

@blommer4: Ranting was just for funsies. The point of the question succeeded perfectly fine. It's reasonable to think that the method for undoing something would be similar to the method for doing it. But no.

Also last time I checked we're no longer in the era of instruction manuals coming with games, and fuck but this game needs one. A strategy guide doesn't substitute for explaining game mechanics and menus.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the stock 10mm pistol in Piper's inventory either. I can see the pimped out one I crafted for her, but she won't use it unless I give her ammo.

There's a help section in the pause menu. It seems to be pretty thorough.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@bane said:

@konig_kei:

With this issue I am just waiting for a mod on PC.

Anyways, thanks to this thread to explaining companion weapons to me.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Companions go to their stock weapon when they're out of ammo so they always have a weapon, better than them fighting empty handed. Rarely companions pick up weapons and ammo on their own, macready picked up a flamer and ammo in a middle of a firefight. I was pleased.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.