Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Performance as time goes on.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders,

For performance details and so on I normally go to digital foundry and on their coverage of fallout 4 they have mentioned that performance and stability may mirror the other Bethesda console rpgs in that it deteriorates the more you play and the larger the save file is.

So my question is now people have put a lot of time into the game is their anything to indicate this is the case or is the game just kinda janky all the way through but doesn't seem to deteriorate?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

25 hours in on PS4 and haven't noticed any noticeable dropoff.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just hit the 30 hours mark last night, no real major issues for me thankfully. I had one crash to dash on PS4 in the first 5 hours. But nothing after that. Haven't had any major FPS issues, or anything really. Just some silly jank. Haven't had any of the issues I had on PS3 for all other Bethesda games. Which has been nice.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strangestories

Maybe 45 hours in on PS4 and there hasn't been any drop in performance from where it is. Had my first crash last night and had a weird moment two nights ago where the fps dropped to like 3 (not exaggerating) for 10 seconds as it seemed to be loading stuff in? I couldn't tell what happened but it's only happened once.

Besides that, expected fps drops in the same 5-6 locations. Mostly in the streets around Goodneighbor, a few buildings, and big fights.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

I have put dozens of hours in so far on PS4, and I haven't noticed any lingering deterioration of performance. The only hiccups I have dealt with is whenever I get into a Vertibird.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By militantfreudian

I'm playing on PS4 and I think the loading times have gotten noticeably longer. That aside, I notice frame rate drops here and there, but they seem mostly due to specific circumstances. I don't think the game has gotten increasingly worse in terms of hitching and frame rate drops.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

Well once the game opens up and you enter cities and larger dense areas with alot of shadows the game performance started to stutter and drop frames etc. Not sure if it has much to do with save data but even after turning down settings still get some stutters on pc. First few hours i had smooth 60fps with no drop, but that was in specific places.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50+ hours on pc, no problems except for dense city areas which other people brought up. And those were there from the beginning

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ericjasonwade

I'm about 60 hours in on PS4 and I haven't seen it getting worse like typical Bethesda games but I do have noticeable FPS drops in large, congested, and busy areas. Also if I have shadows progressing while I wait at beds or chairs then it can sometimes take 5 seconds to move to the next hour. I've seen some blue texturless people, the textures popped in second or two later but that's about it. No crashes though!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

40+ hours now on PS4 and things seem exactly the same as they were when I started.

Who knows though maybe the bloat doesn't happen till hour 100 or something..

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the skyrim bug had to do with the actual size of the save file, things like leaving items on the ground all over the place was tacking on a lot of data. So far fallout 4 seems a lot better about cleaning stuff up. Areas reset a lot more frequently it seems.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I usually find stuff like this to be difficult to notice as I go along but I actually haven't noticed any change on PS4 after 60ish hours. That being said, the framerate has consistently been super bad in certain buildings (when there's combat). Gets a bit rough out there.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travisrex:

Yea I've noticed in Fallout 4 if I travel through previously visited/ransacked areas they have been reset fairly quickly comparative to Skyrim and Fallout 3. I remember in those games it would take weeks of in game time before they would reset and it seems like in a few days coolers and toolboxes I've already looted are refilled.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing the XB1 version and have put in a little over 100 hours so far (2 characters). The framerate drops in specific areas every time, but it hasn't worsened the more I played. I have, however, had my game crash/get stuck on loading screens ~10 times over the course of those 100 hours and I'd say that most of them occurred in the latter half of that playtime.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

24 hours on PC and no issues. The worst I've seen is minor texture stuff, where occasionally pieces of the world would just disappear if you look at it at the right angle.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

70+ hours, level 45 character, PS4, and nothing noticeable like playing Oblivion, Skyrim, or Fallout 3 on the PS3 - all of which I'd describe as intolerable, but I didn't have another alternative. In fact, I've yet to have a single crash.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By handlas

Funny you mention that since when I hit around 15 hours on PC I suddenly started getting crashes every time I played. Then I got a new bug where my weapon and Pipboy disappeared on screen. Basically I've stopped playing because of this.

I found it odd that I played that long with no issues and then suddenly I couldn't play without a crash. I guess this could be an explanation.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: naw, I think something else is going on, are your video drivers up to date? I'm close to 70 hours on pc and haven't had a crash once.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've noticed the load times getting longer, but performance hasn't changed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Yeah load times are crazy now, I also found the new drivers from nvidia dropped my performance by a few frames took me a while to figure out i needed to roll back.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Crommi

@moonshadow101: Same, playing on PC and loading times seem to have gone from couple seconds to "enough time to grab a cup of coffee". ~70h on steam clock.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

IF those rather gamebreaking memory leak issues from the previous Bethesda products made it into Fallout 4 that would be pretty hilarious.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Oh thank God I thought it was that my computer was finally getting long in the tooth and wasn't up to snuff for this. Patch Bethesda! Patch like you've never patched before!

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

80+( PS4), I had no issues before, but then I started experiencing the stuff Jeff mentioned. That is: some extreme frame rate drops that actually affect gameplay to the point where you can't aim ( sub 10 to "holy shit, what the hell is going on"). It also happened a lot when reloading a weapon for some reason.

I started a different character to wait and see if they come up with any solutions with a patch ( I can also do the "sleep for a week in game" thing to refresh the world). I certainly tried to put a stop to minutemen missions... I suspect those make the file larger since they involve getting more settlements going.

On the bright side, it has never ever crashed on me. Making this the most stable bethesda game i've played in my experience. Also no quest breaking bugs so far.

FieryBiscuits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FieryBiscuits

@handlas: I've had disappearing gun and pipboy right from the start, flipping to third person view and back again fixes it instantly for me. edit: on PC

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I am at 52 hours and just noticed the first significant framerate drop during a firefight on xbox one.

I've seen a few weird clipping instances but that's been about it in terms of bugs. Either I've been very fortunate or perhaps the Bethesda buggyness narrative in the gaming media might have been a little bit overstated?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm just over 70 hours now and definitely noticing a lot more texture pop in, especially on worn armor. At the start I didn't even see any, it has slowly crept in over time, happening more frequently and taking longer to resolve. Some guns and settlement construction item images in the crafting menus have started getting minor black boxes around some of their elements. That's aside from just regular bugs.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OurSin_360

^Yeah load times are crazy now, I also found the new drivers from nvidia dropped my performance by a few frames took me a while to figure out i needed to roll back.

Man my load times are getting worse and worse, it's taking 30-40sec sometimes now, and i'm running off an ssd.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By LawGamer

About 70 hours in on PS4. I wouldn't say the framerate has dropped over time, but it does depending on where I am. Around Goodneighbor the framerate gets really, really bad. I'm not normally one of those "60 FPS or it sucks" PC master race types, but I'd say I'm not getting much more than 15 FPS in those areas and it's sort of borderline unplayable. Kind of makes me wonder how anyone at Bethesda looked at that and said "Yeah, that's good. Ship it like that."

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

Right now, I have been experiencing some framerate and loading issues around my Sanctuary settlement, but that may be because it is pretty big so far and I have used the stored weapons glitch to free up settlement size.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.