Am i just lucky?

#1 Posted by SilenceUK (330 posts) -

Picked up the pc version on friday been hammering it am really getting into it ........and not one issue with it at all  

no bugs no hang ups nothing 

am even playing it in a window and tabbing in and out and it takes itt like a pro ( not the same could be said of civ 5 before the patch) and also running everything up max as well 

my point is am i just lucky or stumbled across the perfect settings to avoid the bullshit ?
#2 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Maybe you just created a character with a high enough luck... 
I seriously think the bugs and glitches are Obsidians way to tell people not to ignore that attribute.

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I think the PC version was patched like day 1. You're probably still a bit lucky though.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Only crash I experienced on the pc was a crash to desktop twice.
Then again, people love to overreact^^

Be lucky and have fun!

#5 Posted by FritzDude (2265 posts) -

Just wait until your karma reach very evil.

#6 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

I have barely had any bugs at all, runs smooth as hell too.

#7 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -
@SilenceUK:  Same here, no crashs or bugs so far.
#8 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -

yeah the PC version had the first patch with 360 and ps3 after that.
I'm personally waiting 5-6 months for the first 3 patches to fix most every thing.

#9 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Yeah, it's been a very stable game (on the PC) compared to vanilla Fallout 3. I've had a single crash and that's about the only bug I've encountered.

#10 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Only crash I experienced on the pc was a crash to desktop twice. Then again, people love to overreact^^  Be lucky and have fun! "
It's also funny  how people can be in denial about things that are happening to other people. If I had to average the crashes I got while play this game I would say it's about 1 crash every 3 hours so far. Just because something doesn't happen to you doesn't mean that it's not happening to other people.
#11 Posted by Turkfinn (84 posts) -

Probably pretty lucky.  They did patch a whole bunch of bugs and such though, including quick saves/auto saves not working pretty damn quickly.  I had to use the d3d9.dll fix to get my framerates from 20-30 to 50-60, since who knows how long that'll take em to fix.  Game is running pretty well now save for a few known npc/quest bugs, so I'm not complaining too much. 

#12 Edited by Ethan_Raiden (343 posts) -

EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT BUGS, THE GAME HAS BUGS, WE KNOW!

EDIT: FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

#13 Posted by Dejkrigeren (384 posts) -

I've experienced 3 crashes and a few minor bugs such as eyeless dogs, flying npc's and enemies clipping through the ground.

#14 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

They still haven't fixed the steam PC-version yet for most NVIDIA-user who are on a 64-bit system. I had to manually replace the d3d.dll they put in there witth an older version, since the game chops like a mofo every time I look at an NPC. Now it runs smooth as hell. 
Other than that I've had some teleporting deathclaws, clipping radscorpions and one desktop crash. I think the game is much better than Fallout 3, which felt soul-less at times

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@jams said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Only crash I experienced on the pc was a crash to desktop twice. Then again, people love to overreact^^  Be lucky and have fun! "
It's also funny  how people can be in denial about things that are happening to other people. If I had to average the crashes I got while play this game I would say it's about 1 crash every 3 hours so far. Just because something doesn't happen to you doesn't mean that it's not happening to other people. "
Never said it wasn't happening to other people chief.
#16 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @jams said:
It's also funny  how people can be in denial about things that are happening to other people. If I had to average the crashes I got while play this game I would say it's about 1 crash every 3 hours so far. Just because something doesn't happen to you doesn't mean that it's not happening to other people. "
Never said it wasn't happening to other people chief. "
yeah but you are trying to down play it as if nothing is wrong. You might as well have said that it wasn't happening. It's the same thing people did with the 360 failure rate in the beginning. A lot of people were getting RROD and there were those people saying (pssht my xbox works fine you're just over reacting." We've all seen how that turned out.
#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@jams said:
" @jams said:
Never said it wasn't happening to other people chief. "
yeah but you are trying to down play it as if nothing is wrong. You might as well have said that it wasn't happening. It's the same thing people did with the 360 failure rate in the beginning. A lot of people were getting RROD and there were those people saying (pssht my xbox works fine you're just over reacting." We've all seen how that turned out. "
If I wanted to tell people it wasn't happening, I would have said it wasn't happening.
I am not trying to downplay anything, my cousin has all the problems others have and more people on here also have those so I know the problems are real.
You are taking this way too serious.

Again, if I wanted to make a statement, I would have made said statement, I do not hide between sentences and references.
(And my xbox died 8 times ^_^)
#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5839 posts) -

6 hours in on the PS3 version, no trouble so far. There was a moment where I thought it did crash, so I left the room to go get a drink, and when I came back it was running again.

#19 Posted by leebmx (2247 posts) -

Probably cursing myself here but i've played about 25hours on the 360 and had nothing apart from a radscorpion or 2 glitching into the scenery and the odd brief pause and I was fully expecting things like this from playing F3. 
 I haven't had anything gamebreaking or even close so far - no crashes or anything. - I think there might be a lot of people like me but only the people with problems bother posting on forums mostly. 
 Anyway we all know it has bugs now  - its getting a bit boring tbh.

#20 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: 

Alright, it's hard to tell what exactly some one is trying to get across through the internet sometimes. Don't worry, I'm not taking it too serious. Writing isn't my forte and I'm probably just misunderstanding everything you're trying to get across. 
#21 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (684 posts) -

Since I started playing this morning (around 3 hours) the game has crashed like 4 times. I just dont have the patience for it. So until it gets patched again - I'm dont playing it.

#22 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Dude, I'm also playing the PC version. Not a single issue yet. I haven't gotten very far though, but still, no bugs. WIN!

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@jams: 
Wasn't trying to get across much, just speaking my piece^^.
#24 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

No bugs or anything for me as well.  Fucking awesome game.

#25 Posted by InfamousBIG (3212 posts) -
@SilenceUK: Same here, for the most part.
#26 Posted by Jeffsekai (7042 posts) -

Same here, had zero bugs or crashes.

#27 Posted by SSully (4230 posts) -

I have have 1 crash, and a few enemies clipping into the scenery so far with about 8 hours into the game on the PC version. I experienced alot more crap on fallout 3 so i am pretty well off so far.

#28 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

I haven't even attempted to try it yet (rent) just because I had  so much trouble after nearly completing everything in the PS3 GOTY Fallout 3. I would play, it would lag like hell most of the time and freeze within 20 minutes and it was only doing this after I had completed as much as I had. Some people say it was because the save file gets so large, others were say that the data was corrupted on the hard drive and to delete it and let it reinstall again. I tried solutions and it was always the same, anyways I loved the game and it disappoints me that new vegas appears to be plagued with the same stuff, and that would only mean I would get pissed and sell it off if I bought it just like Fallout 3. I'll eventually rent it from one of those fancy red box machines I'm sure but It's really some that should be owned, if it wasn't broke.

#29 Posted by Connelo (131 posts) -

I've had problems with it. Such as VATS not working and stuff, but nothing too bad and it's yet to crash.

#30 Posted by SilenceUK (330 posts) -

Since posting this i did have one raider mob fall into the ground and continue to shoot me untill he re apeared allowing me to kill him again but other than that i have to say this feels on about the same level as fall out 3 did post patches not perfect but very playable .....though that may be down to my beast system and lower systems might have troubles that cant be buldozed through with tons of power
#31 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

First of all, great avatar. Secondly, I don't think the game is that broken. Jeff made it sound like it is nearly unplayable, but I am playing it installed on the 360, and although there have been AI running on invisible stairs and some framerate drops, it is not a broken game at all. It crashed a couple of times though, but again, it's not an issue that really hinders my enjoyment of the game. The load times around Freeside are pretty bad though.

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8134 posts) -

The PC version  seems to be the most stable one, considering it was patched day one, I've been playing Friday to Monday non stop and only had one crash.

#33 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -

You're lucky.
Or maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky.
I've crashed 9 times so far and it overwrites my save games.
I still love it, though.

#34 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@Bennyishere said:
... it is not a broken game at all.
This. At least for me. I wish I knew why some people were having so many problems when others aren't having any. I can't help but wonder if it really does have something to do with initial game stats, that is, that the scripting issues are caused by the game responding a certain way to high or low stats in some areas, and that the crashing and game-save related issues are connected to that. I mean, we've all been joking about not putting enough points into the Luck stat, but I wonder if that might really be part of the problem. Who knows. On the 360 we're all playing the same game on basically the same hardware. It would follow that it is the user input (ie., initial stats) that might be causing issues.
#35 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

I was one of the biggest defenders of this game to my "video game circle o' friends" and may have put my foot directly into my mouth.  I was one of those folks that preached the "Oh, this game isn't broken! I've put x-amount of hours into it and haven't seen a single bug!"

Last night was, hands-down, the worst session of gaming I've ever experienced. I tried playing for 2 hours, through Novac, and hard locked-up twice and found about a half-dozen glitches.

Granted, this isn't going to stop me from playing the game, but I can now join that bandwagon of people that have experienced bugs whilst playing Fallout: New Vegas.

#36 Edited by MagusMaleficus (1041 posts) -

Color me lucky too. Once I did the DirectX dll fix, my game became pretty damn smooth. I've had one or two bugs pop up (geckos getting stuck in rocks for short periods of time, a radscorpion flipping upside-down without me shooting it, etc), but nothing remotely game-breaking. But I've seen the videos floating around with weird-ass bugs, including some horrible game-breaking ones, so I know damn well I'm lucky.

#37 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

ive experienced a couple of minor issues that werent in fallout 3 but nothing major. for example sometimes i come out of buildings and there is 5 scorpions or something waiting for me out of no where. ive seen a giant ant get stuck in the floor, but eventually got out so i could kill it and finish the mission i was on. ive had the game freeze once on a load screen and crash as well. also sometimes ive had problems with the enemy ai. like running up to me to attack, but then bolting off pretty far into the distance and standing there to look at me (and i dont mean getting some distance to shoot at me, this happens with wolves, scorpions, etc) but it hasn't really diminished the quality of the game for me so far. its definitely at least as good as fallout 3. i like them both about the same right now, but i have a lot of new vegas still to play.

#38 Posted by wethebiscuitz (32 posts) -

I still have pretty bad lag whenever there's more than four NPCs on my screen.

#39 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I'm playing the 360 version, and I've only crashed twice in 3 days. 

I've been regularly clearing my cache and restarting, however.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.