Best Perks/stats?

#1 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

So i am lvl 8 in my "super bad evil i kill everyone game" and im going to be running a 2nd game where im mr nice do all the missions i can game.

I never fully understood what the best perks/stats were, i have been pumping into guns/lockpick/survival and in perks i have been getting +10% exp, what should i be getting? what would benifit the end game?

#2 Posted by Sn1PeR (141 posts) -

I prefer high speech, but I'm also not shooting everyone I meet in the game... 

#3 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -
@Sn1PeR said:
" I prefer high speech, but I'm also not shooting everyone I meet in the game...  "
Yeah i am going to have 2 games going, my main game is just to destroy everyone and take everything and the 2nd is normal play through where i play with morals, right now i have none, im just a loner in a post-apoc world taking whatever the hell i want :D
#4 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -

Getting more exp is a waste of perk.  You've gotta think end game, cause you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass when you're not getting anymore exp and you could've picked up some extra encumberance strength.  Same with "Here and Now".  You'll reach a high level soon enough, good things come to those who wait.

#5 Posted by Mr. Ibis (2 posts) -
@Rockdalf: good point... wish I head read that before I picked up the bonus exp perk... na actually, even more so that FO3, I think New Vegas will have replay value for years. With FO3 I would play one character to completion then start a new one, but with NV I can see myself with 2 or 3 characters running simultaneously
#6 Posted by FritzDude (2269 posts) -

I'm stunned on how many perks there are in this game. It's like a billion of 'em! But i did not get a perk on level 3. I thought we would get a perk every level?

#7 Posted by Mr. Ibis (2 posts) -

every other level this time around...

#8 Posted by Deathpooky (1422 posts) -

The man-killer perk seemed like the best to start to me, and the +skill points per level and +skill points per book are my next two favs for starting 3.  The rest of the first few tiers of perks just aren't good enough, and it's better to make the early investment and get 100+ extra skill points over the game. 

Intelligence (for skill points / skills), Strength (for carry weight), and Agility (for AP) are my favorite stats, though I don't really favor heavy specialization as much in this game as I did in the original Fallouts.

#9 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

In Fallout 3 I put a lot of my points into speech and picked speech based perks, but for New Vegas I thought I'd make a build with high science and weapon skills. Kind of regretting not making a build focused on speech again because it usually saves on tedious missions.

#10 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -

educated and comprehension are the best early game perks by far. pick em up at levels 4 and 6 respectively.
try to max agi and luck stats wise, but remember you can get implants.

#11 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Styl3s: Its all a matter of how you want to play it. The whole, I'm gonna shoot everything, good or bad, you prob want a gun perk over a a speech perk. But if you like the speech trees and love not having to do much fighting to get out of stuff, then perhaps the speech tree is best for you. 
#12 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

best perk is black widow, obv.

#13 Posted by huntad (1955 posts) -

Well, I don't want to spoil any of the perks, since I have the strategy guide and know 'em all, but there are some pretty good ones. One, specifically, let's you repair weapons with those that use the same ammo type, so it doesn't even have to be the same exact weapon. You need about 70 repair for that one, but it sounds pretty cool!

#14 Posted by SmasheControllers (2551 posts) -

These are my perks. 

Traits

• Trigger Discipline
  • Wild Wasteland

Perks
  • Level 2 - Confirmed Bachelor
  • Level 4 - Lady Killer
  • Level 6 - Rapid Reload
  • Level 8 - Comprehension
  • Level 10 - Toughness (1)
  • Level 12 - Toughness (2)
  • Level 14 - Tag!
  • Level 16 - Adamantium Skeleton
  • Level 18 - Jury Rigging
  • Level 20 - Explorer
  • Level 22 - Intense Training (1 - Luck 6)
  • Level 24 - Intense Training (2 - Luck 7)
  • Level 26 - Intense Training (3 - Luck 8)
  • Level 28 - Intense Training (4 - Luck 9)
  • Level 30 - Intense Training (5 - Luck 10)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.