Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Bethesda's Fallout vs. Obsidian's Fallout (Spoilers!)

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themangalist

Both games I finished my first playthrough as a saint in 65-ish hours, and I'm ultimately satisfied by the long long journey both the lone wanderer and the courier went through. Aside from a lot of bugs and A F*CKING LOAD OF BUGS, however, I could hardly come up with a conclusion of which was the better experience for me. I could only say, both games are very different despite looking exactly the same. Many say FO3 was darker in general, but I'd say NV was dark in the same way that the world is overrun by ignorance, greed, primitive instincts. Slavery, rape, banditry are common themes in both games.  

The Map
    Both worlds are so vastly different it's hard to compare. FO3's map is a square n times n size map. 1/4 of the map is an urban labyrinth that feels like a battlefield, but otherwise, the other 3/4 is a... wasteland. Being dumped in the square middle made me feel lost. NV's map is a long strip, but how everything is placed it feels linear at first and that you feel like you're ultimately working towards your revenge in New Vegas, as you trek through the desert and stopping by small town settlements. Coming back to the starter area to pwn some Cazzadores and Deathclaws sure felt good.

The Settlements
    Don't get me wrong, every settlement in NV has its special touch, but pales in comparison with the whacky and creative ones of  FO3. The independent community of Nellis in NV reminded me of Dave's Republic in FO3. And I have to say, the Republic was much more interesting to explore. Little Lamplight, Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, Rivet city all are great vistas and diverse culturally. It's always a delight to come by these settlements and say hi to the weird fanatics who live in them.

The "Dungeons"
    I guess this is the reason why some people say FO3 is darker. The dungeons. I can't recall any place in NV that truly gave me the creeps, but I have to say, i constantly jumped my chair and shat my pants while playing FO3. As cheerfully unserious the settlements are, anywhere else in the DC Wasteland is outright scary. You remember the raider super market? The hotel ruins or the metro downtown? The city of deathclaws? The super mutant vault? Or the horrors of the Dunwich building? Every time i crawled through these i was constantly praying that i'd get out as soon as possible, and fuck the loot, I'm out. I can't say it's not an overkill with blood and intestines splattered everywhere, but man, it's desolate alright. On the otherhand. the dungeons in NV... feel like dungeons. In the end of each cave or abandoned office building you fight a legendary monster and get some sweet loot. Well at least the loot isn't randomized, but they don't hold the same impact as they did in FO3.

The Factions
     I would say the scope of NV was much greater, with large factions struggling for power and ideals that ware morally ambiguous. You could feel the tension both inside the Strip with families having internal problems and the external factions eyeing on the glamorous city. Then comes my internal debate of... what would be the best for the wasteland? A NCR-ruled Vegas, or an independent one? Taxes, elites or total anarchy? Even talking to Caesar reveals he believes he's instilling "civilization" into the world, which oddly enough that as savage as the legion are, it's exactly how the "greatest ancient civilization that existed" worked. There is no good or bad in New Vegas. FO3 on the other hand, presents an obvious black and white. The Brotherhood are the knights in shining armor (which is probably why the FO fanboys would cry Bethesda killed their beloved). You could be a jerk, but you couldn't be villainous. You have to help the brotherhood to move the story onwards, and the only real moral decision is in the end. And it's a no-brainer too. Save the world, or screw it over.

The Interactions with NPCs
    In NV, the first skill I maxed was Speech, because I know everyone would just bow to me when i convince them. With a speech check, I could convince people to let me go into their houses and rob them dry, have some free sex and booze. FO3, if i recall correctly, was more of a dice roll; even with 100 speech, you'd still have a chance of failing the end speech check. What I noticed was, NV had other skill checks other than speech that open up more options. Barter seems to actually be useful, as many rewards can be boosted with that. I'd say both games have their flaws in this aspect.

The Characters
    Okay, I remember Dad, and maybe Fawkes, but seriously, the characters aren't that interesting. The settlements are interesting, but never was there a character that stuck out. NV had people with their own history, concerns and goals. I mean, Veronica. That's about as much proof you need to say NV had better characters.

The Attention to Detail
    I can't but notice this. As said before, dungeons in NV felt like dungeons not without a reason. Almost all places i go to in FO3 has a terminal or note of some sort, with a story behind the place. So even if i go through the same models and textures, I at least feel like I'm in a different place. There's one thing about NV though, they outright cut out a lot of dungeons so I guess it's not that bad.

I have to say however, both games are very worth playing. Both worlds are worth exploring, both adventures worth living. The general feeling of FO3 was a desperate struggle to survive, a very post-apocalyptic man vs nature and man-made horrors vibe. NV was more man vs. man.  And, Veronica. I mean, come on.

TL;DR: How different were the experiences for you?

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By protomessiah

I loved them both and had a great time playing through them. I thought that the increased role of factions in nv was a big improvement over fallout 3 and that nv story was better, but I preferred the locations in fallout 3. What did a lot of damage to nv in my playthrough was the bugs, far more than I experienced in fallout 3. If the bugs hadn't been present it could have been a different story, but I feel that fallout 3 was the more polished and tighter game.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

Loved them both but the bugs and freezing stopped me from getting my second Platinum in Fallou:New Vegas. Where I easily got one in Fallout 3.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

I also love them both, but I prefer FO3. New Vegas is great, but FO3 has that "something" in that urban atmosphere that NV can't imitate. I prefer exploring the ruins of a city than walking around the desert.

MrMcJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MrMcJerk

I was sorely disappointed that I couldn't use an old nuke to blow up anything in NV.  The new melee weapons were nice, though.  And the ending options I enjoyed more. 

LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LoggerRythm

I liked the writing on Vegas, the story was slightly better than 3, however that was the only thing I liked about it. 

I had way more fun with Fallout 3 than I did with Vegas. Vegas was all gimping levels with taking nine billion years to achieve one and then hardly ever getting a perk for it.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked some of the improvements they made to the series in Vegas but mostly the game would have been better if it was a animated movie or something. 
    I didn't have any fun playing Vegas at all.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Getz

From the get-go I thought New Vegas was the better game. The crippling caching issues (where the game would load forever if you were playing it for a long stretch) really hindered it for me, but ignoring all the technical issues it was the better game.

The story was much improved over Fallout 3's disjointed main plot, and the writing for all the dialogue was of an incredibly high quality for the amount there was (it is obsidian after all, and if they do one thing right, it's writing)
    There were more guns, with ammo types to customize your damage types. Explosives skill was actually useful this time around, with awesome weapons like the grenade rifle, dynamite, remote charges, and the grenade machine gun (which, with enough ammo, was basically a cheat code) For me, this was the key improvement; more loot! How can you have an RPG without tons of cool equipment to find and use? Fallout 3 was kinda skimpy on this front comparatively.
    And most importantly, it wasn't all GREY. With the New Vegas Strip came much needed flash and color. Fallout 3's color scheme was oppressive, while NV splashed in some neon as well as more diverse locations like gorges, red mountains, scenic lakes, and forests. 
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By WalkerTR77

It took a lot of time for me to come to a decision; but I do prefer Fallout 3. New Vegas did a number of things better, like well thought out factions in the main storyline and interesting characters - especially the companions. NV also added interesting new mechanics, like skill checks during dialogue but it also had a number of good ideas that were poorly implemented. The endings for example, seem quite well thought out and branching, but having done them all they end up a little bland. You can have an impact on the places you visit, but only to an extent and in the end regardless of the faction you side with you get Ron Perlman telling you that the Wasteland is much the same as when you started. Every ending is so firmly placed in a gray area that you feel like no matter what you choose you end up with a really mixed result. Even trying to rule Vegas independently pans out pretty poorly - in FO3 I really enjoyed being able to be an magnanimous force for good in a really bad world and it seems the Mojave remains a pretty shitty place no matter what you do. 

My favourite part of NV was interacting with the Boomers, their entire backstory and motivations were interesting and appealing to me. However, actually traversing around the air force base and fulfilling your objectives was fucking boring. Like a lot of Wasteland locations in New Vegas, the areas are inanimate and often there is little context to what is going on (i.e. terminal entries detailing the last days of the buildings residents etc). This is the antithesis of FO3, where all the peripheral locations seemed unique and had a wealth of backstory and the main questline was fairly by the numbers and straightforward. 
    While on the subject of locations, the Mojave was an absolute cunt to explore. All of the untraversable mountains that hold you back even when you are certain of where you are going is in stark contrast to FO3, where free exploration was encouraged and easy. All of the natural barriers and invisible walls in NV held me back from the aspect of Bethesda games that I enjoy the most; wandering the map and stumbling on interesting places. NV even goes so far as to put a herd of Deathclaws directly in your path to Vegas itself, sure it funnels you to Novac etc, but you're being forced onto an indirect route. Also, the city of New Vegas itself is really underwhelming, 4 loading screens make up the strip itself, and the surrounding areas are sparse and awkward to navigate.

Finally, there's a certain lack of fun in NV compared to FO3. It feels like the developers over at Obsidian are just too serious about the wrong things. Why have a perk every 2 levels? Why have a hard stop on the story, and refuse to rectify it with DLC when that was a key criticism of FO3? Why make it difficult to max out you're characters skills in the main game as a point of principle AND allow it after the buyer shells out for all the DLC? Why impose a cooldown after unsuccessfully hacking a terminal? Why take damage in VATS? And where the fuck is the Fat-man? All of these things suggest the unwelcome and unnecessary hand of a developer, poking where it doesn't belong and ruining the fun.

Well that's what I have to say. I'm sure there are a few Fallout fanatics who care about these kinds of issues about as much as I do.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By oraknabo

I'd rather play a Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian game than a Bethesda game any day, but I had a lot of issues with New Vegas and just quit playing after a while. It is the better game, but I guess I'd just had too much Fallout 3 already. I also missed the VR missions from Fallout 3 and Vegas had a lot of annoying invisible walls in the environment. Both were infuriatingly buggy, but the ones in New Vegas kept really screwing me. I had to turn off all of the autosave options because it would do things like spawn my companion at the other end of a cave and then save as I heard them being mauled by fire geckos in the distance. The biggest mistake Obsidian made was that it never really made me feel like getting revenge so I had no real incentive to follow the main quest. Another problem is that the bad factions, at least Ceaser's Legion and the Powder Gangers were so damn obnoxious that I never would have even thought of making friends with them. 

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tally_Pants

I played through them both and really enjoyed both games. but I def preferred FO3! I'm not one for replaying a game (unless its a classic SNES title... i just can't help myself!) but I do find myself thinking about going for another play through of FO3... I just loved it so much!

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

Wow I'm surprised most of you who came here actually liked FO3 more than NV, which was unexpected as I thought most of the GB community preferred the latter.

@JoeyRavn
    I definitely agree. Watching Rage's ghost city trailer only reminded me of how amazing the DC ruins were. Rage even has its own behemoth lurking in the city :P The thing I DIDN'T like about the ruins is the fucking metro system. It's a huge maze with rubble blocking every street and the map and map marker are not helping at all.

@Getz
    The scenery in NV is more eye appealing and worth going out to look for. But I think all the ammo types and crafting are, as Jeff said, very peripheral and I never even touched them. It is a great idea, but in the grand scheme of things it seems like it's something that would be easily overlooked, and requires some dedication as it makes little difference to the overall gameplay experience. I think if the game had "damage numbers" popping out of enemies' heads when you hit them would much better show the effects of your customization, but otherwise, I see no difference in using armor piercing rounds and shooting the guy a few more times.

But I definitely agree the bugs are killer -- I can't even play a game for a second without fearing crashes and save corruption. Crashes are alright, at least the load times weren't as long as it is on consoles, but save corruption is a bitch. I usually spam my quicksave button in these games, and hence i lost a lot of process if it were to be corrupted. In my 65 hour game, at least 4 saves were  corrupted, and a lot of time spent trying to figure out at which point did the game start screwing up. That totally pulled me out of this otherwise phenomenal game.

@WalkerTR77
    I like how you used Caesar's favourite word antithesis, and I can't but agree to most of your points raised. I do like the depressing endings though that you couldn't save the world without sacrificing the good, even if the world itself was never as desolate and in need of saving as the FO3 world. On the other hand, most other design decisions are not great. The perk system limits the gameplay possibilities.. I barely have the time to go through the game twice to see everything, and I swear there are more than enough perks to get you to lv 30. (heck, they BALANCED the grim reaper's sprint... there's no point in having it now) The weapon customization, as i wrote above, is ultimately unnecessary.

btw, there's at least 2 fat-mans i came across. I remember one being in the Deathclaw den in the large mining place. I do believe they took out the Rock-it-launcher, which was pretty ridiculous in FO3. I think part of the beauty of FO3 is that there's always a weird sense of humour in a dark gritty wasteland.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By WalkerTR77
    @themangalist: I have come across a Fat-man or two, but as you said they were in stupid places like the Deathclaw infested quarry, and the ammo is likewise really fucking scarce. I remember seeing a video of Todd Howard talking about the weapons in Fallout 3, and how they introduced them early in a state of disrepair so that the player could get a taste of some of the awesome weapons that you can use to hurt things. That's the mentality missing from NV. Also, as soon as you get an unique weapon - the whole concept of customising regular weapons instead is out the window.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Anecdotal, but I had way more bugs with Fallout 3 and the side stuff was completely boring. FNV, the only really annoying bugged out part for me was the cannbal mission, which was fucked the whole way through. The characters were way more interesting. The bottleneck at the end was a bummer but that's to be expected with modern fad "choice games".

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Ruiner

I think New Vegas had much better minute to minute gameplay....the improvements to combat and to companions were very very welcome. And the faction/disguise system was a lot of fun to play with.  But Fallout 3 had a far more personal story and a much more finely crafted adventure. The Capitol Wasteland felt far more alive and charming. And it always kinda felt like home. And for the record...anytime you level up and don't get a perk...feels just awful...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I enjoyed the Mojave Wasteland a lot more than the Capital Wasteland.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist
    @WalkerTR77
    True true. Even for the fatman, I only found maybe 3 mini nukes in my entire game. Those were like my babies displayed on the shelf of my Novac house.

@ryanwho
    : The Casino quests were horrible. Also, any quest with "cutscenes" had me on the edge of my seat considering how much scripting went into there... that the game would crash at any moment.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Getz
    @themangalist said: 
    @Getz
    The scenery in NV is more eye appealing and worth going out to look for. But I think all the ammo types and crafting are, as Jeff said, very peripheral and I never even touched them. It is a great idea, but in the grand scheme of things it seems like it's something that would be easily overlooked, and requires some dedication as it makes little difference to the overall gameplay experience. I think if the game had "damage numbers" popping out of enemies' heads when you hit them would much better show the effects of your customization, but otherwise, I see no difference in using armor piercing rounds and shooting the guy a few more times.

But I definitely agree the bugs are killer -- I can't even play a game for a second without fearing crashes and save corruption. Crashes are alright, at least the load times weren't as long as it is on consoles, but save corruption is a bitch. I usually spam my quicksave button in these games, and hence i lost a lot of process if it were to be corrupted. In my 65 hour game, at least 4 saves were  corrupted, and a lot of time spent trying to figure out at which point did the game start screwing up. That totally pulled me out of this otherwise phenomenal game.

As a guy who's sunk close to 400 hours in to F3 and NV, I appreciated the variety in guns and ammo quite a bit. The numbers are all there, and the game even spells it out for you, you just don't see them (because that would be silly...) Armor provides Damage Threshold, while weapons have Damage. If your DAM is greater than their DT, then you will do full damage. The game lets you know with an icon when the enemy is absorbing your DAM, so that you can switch to a different gun or ammo as the case may be. I found it to be a tactical improvement that rewarded you for coming prepared. Honestly, I don't see how you can get through the game on normal without utilizing this system at least somewhat. So when you say there's no difference I'm not inclined to agree with you. Maybe it's because I was playing on Hardcore, and I couldn't just go in to my inventory and pop 10 stimpacks every time my health dropped to 10....
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By themangalist
    @Getz: I definitely have to play through the game hardcore mode then, which I sadly overlooked. (now thinking about it, all those pure bottled waters in my inventory... hmmm...) In my playthrough, I was able to get my hands on the Marksman Carbine mid-way through the game and it was pretty much a breeze through until the last quest where EVERYONE has it and is ridiculously powerful. I still managed to survive, but the shooting never felt very fun.

btw, do bottle caps have weight in hardcore?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I need to play more of New Vegas to really comment, but from what I've played, I think I would agree with your statements.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Zippedbinders

New Vegas, far and away, has better characters and stories than Fallout 3 did (Moira, Button, and Fawkes were really the only characters I latched onto). This alone validates it as a better experience for me. I still love Fallout 3, and there are a lot of great moments, but too much of that game is based around menial collection and not enough about the terrible and weird things that happen in the wasteland. I wanted more scenarios like Andale, Tenpenny Tower, and Stealing Independence. New Vegas fills many of those gaps for me. Shame Bethesda locked Harold into DC.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I haven't played F:NV yet but the people I know who have really didn't like the game comared to Fallout 3.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn

I agree on the whole companion thing for sure. I found Rose of Sharon Cassidy to be way more interesting than all the FO3 companions combined. 

But, I also think the world in FO3 was better, New vegas felt disconnected from the vegas we all know, but The Capital Wasteland reminded me of the actual city, visiting a subway staion in DC after playing that game sent chills up my spine, and the locations in it stuck with me even more than those in New Vegas, for example, the Vault where the muscians all went mad, or where the hallucinogenic gas was released, were disturbing and interesting to explore. 

Also, you should add the fact that the weapons in New vegas are way more interesting and diverse. 
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Mikemcn said:

I agree on the whole companion thing for sure. I found Rose of Sharon Cassidy to be way more interesting than all the FO3 companions combined. 

But, I also think the world in FO3 was better, New vegas felt disconnected from the vegas we all know, but The Capital Wasteland reminded me of the actual city, visiting a subway staion in DC after playing that game sent chills up my spine, and the locations in it stuck with me even more than those in New Vegas, for example, the Vault where the muscians all went mad, or where the hallucinogenic gas was released, were disturbing and interesting to explore. 

Also, you should add the fact that the weapons in New vegas are way more interesting and diverse. 

See, I don't know about you, but I've been to DC enough that that doesn't affect me, its an hour from where I live. Beyond the National Mall where The Capitol Building and the Washington Monument are, they did a pretty piss poor job at making DC (or even making it feel like DC), which ended up completely disconnecting me from that world. The reused assets and city blocks really hurt it too, Fairfax, which initially made me smile when the Location XP popped up, but I quickly realized it was the exact same two city blocks they used in every other part of the game.

I guess that's really no different than Las Vegas to New Vegas, but you didn't have to go through a series of featureless Metro tunnels to get to the interesting bits.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

More like this dogs dookie vs that dogs dookie. its still dookie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like Fallout 3 more mostly on the fact that it was new to me at the time, New Vegas felt like most sequels do and didn't have that fresh new gaming experience.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By fox01313

I enjoy the gameplay upgrades & story/setting in NV a lot better than what was in Fallout3. That being said I thought that the DLC for Fallout3 was pretty good & enjoyed most of it as well as having the ability to play past the ending. NV though is quite buggy as hell still & quite vexed at having 2 characters save files locked as well as issues with the game's ongoing annoyance at locking up just about once every few hours if that. Hope that the DLC has patches to fix this as I'd love to be able to finish the last remaining ending off without having to save every 5 minutes or have multiple saves to try to keep away from having to start over from scratch.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Getz
    @themangalist said:
     do bottle caps have weight in hardcore?
    Nah, that'd make things way too difficult.
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I had an awesome time with Fallout 3. One of my favorite gaming experiences. 

So far I have still no beaten New Vegas because of lock-ups, glitches, and other jank.
    Boooooo.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By themangalist
    @Getz: Out of all the dumb funny things the Fallout series presents, the only thing i couldn't wrap my head around is how bottle caps can be an efficient currency. So do I need to buy a slave to carry my money if i ever were to bring more than a hundred bucks?? If i sell my gun worth a thousand caps, I better bring along a head of brahmin.
    Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fenrisulfr
    @themangalist

The Map
    Both worlds are so vastly different it's hard to compare. FO3's map is a square n times n size map. 1/4 of the map is an urban labyrinth that feels like a battlefield, but otherwise, the other 3/4 is a... wasteland. Being dumped in the square middle made me feel lost. NV's map is a long strip, but how everything is placed it feels linear at first and that you feel like you're ultimately working towards your revenge in New Vegas, as you trek through the desert and stopping by small town settlements. Coming back to the starter area to pwn some Cazzadores and Deathclaws sure felt good.

While New Vegas was far more focused both area and content wise, I still liked Fallout 3's map better.  Since it was the first Fallout game I had played, I feel that the moment you step out of Vault 101 was a truly magnificent scene.  When the bright light finished, there was a moment of looking at and seeing nothing but wasteland and a few bombed out buildings.  It set the stage for what I've come to associate with the fallout franchise: this bleak, dark, depressing, oppressive world which has fallen into complete anarchy.  After getting over the first hiccup I encountered with Fallout 3, I found that exploring this vast area one of the best parts of the game.  I loved just coming across some abandoned shack.  It's out in the middle of no where, and really looks to have no business being there.

The Settlements
    Don't get me wrong, every settlement in NV has its special touch, but pales in comparison with the whacky and creative ones of  FO3. The independent community of Nellis in NV reminded me of Dave's Republic in FO3. And I have to say, the Republic was much more interesting to explore. Little Lamplight, Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, Rivet city all are great vistas and diverse culturally. It's always a delight to come by these settlements and say hi to the weird fanatics who live in them.

I'll have to give the settlements part to New Vegas.  As you pointed out, Fallout 3's were, at times, fairly wacky (Little Lamplight and Canterbury Commons comes to mind).  The big one was Little Lamplight.  It's not that it wasn't interesting, but I couldn't stop thinking about HOW those kids have gotten there.  Everyone over 16 is kicked out.  Now, if we go into basic biology and look at the kids, there are none there that look like they'd either be done, or in, puberty.  This makes me think that'd it'd be really hard to keep the population that it has maintained over the past 200 years since the bombs went off.  Overall, it doesn't matter much in the game, but it made me stop and really think about the place and had me scratching my head.  There's also the matter of how slavers hadn't burst in and taken them as slaves.  They're kids after all.

The "Dungeons"
    I guess this is the reason why some people say FO3 is darker. The dungeons. I can't recall any place in NV that truly gave me the creeps, but I have to say, i constantly jumped my chair and shat my pants while playing FO3. As cheerfully unserious the settlements are, anywhere else in the DC Wasteland is outright scary. You remember the raider super market? The hotel ruins or the metro downtown? The city of deathclaws? The super mutant vault? Or the horrors of the Dunwich building? Every time i crawled through these i was constantly praying that i'd get out as soon as possible, and fuck the loot, I'm out. I can't say it's not an overkill with blood and intestines splattered everywhere, but man, it's desolate alright. On the otherhand. the dungeons in NV... feel like dungeons. In the end of each cave or abandoned office building you fight a legendary monster and get some sweet loot. Well at least the loot isn't randomized, but they don't hold the same impact as they did in FO3. 

I'd have to give the dungeons to Fallout 3.  New Vegas' vaults and underground portions felt more like mazes combined with stuff from the Twilight Zone.  I think they failed in a way if they were going for something scary.  Fallout 3's Vaults on the other hand, were creepy, no matter how you look at them.  Being in a Vault where you're hallucinating?  Brilliant and creepy.  Then there's the Vault that literally was a Twilight Zone episode, keeping with the disturbing Vault experiments in the area.

The Factions
     I would say the scope of NV was much greater, with large factions struggling for power and ideals that ware morally ambiguous. You could feel the tension both inside the Strip with families having internal problems and the external factions eyeing on the glamorous city. Then comes my internal debate of... what would be the best for the wasteland? A NCR-ruled Vegas, or an independent one? Taxes, elites or total anarchy? Even talking to Caesar reveals he believes he's instilling "civilization" into the world, which oddly enough that as savage as the legion are, it's exactly how the "greatest ancient civilization that existed" worked. There is no good or bad in New Vegas. FO3 on the other hand, presents an obvious black and white. The Brotherhood are the knights in shining armor (which is probably why the FO fanboys would cry Bethesda killed their beloved). You could be a jerk, but you couldn't be villainous. You have to help the brotherhood to move the story onwards, and the only real moral decision is in the end. And it's a no-brainer too. Save the world, or screw it over. 

This has to go with New Vegas.  The factions in Fallout 3 were basically good guys vs bad guys.  They really lacked any kind of conflict between the factions, especially between The Eastern BoS and the BoS Outcasts.  Nothing between them, despite all the dialog that is available about the crack that formed.

The Interactions with NPCs
    In NV, the first skill I maxed was Speech, because I know everyone would just bow to me when i convince them. With a speech check, I could convince people to let me go into their houses and rob them dry, have some free sex and booze. FO3, if i recall correctly, was more of a dice roll; even with 100 speech, you'd still have a chance of failing the end speech check. What I noticed was, NV had other skill checks other than speech that open up more options. Barter seems to actually be useful, as many rewards can be boosted with that. I'd say both games have their flaws in this aspect.

Again, New Vegas did this better.  Instead of relying 100% on Speech, Barter, Science, Repair and any of the other other skills available to you.  It allows for a much wider variety of skills to be used outside of their intended use (such as Science for hacking or Medicine for healing).

The Characters
    Okay, I remember Dad, and maybe Fawkes, but seriously, the characters aren't that interesting. The settlements are interesting, but never was there a character that stuck out. NV had people with their own history, concerns and goals. I mean, Veronica. That's about as much proof you need to say NV had better characters.

I do admit that New Vegas did have better characters, there were still a few that I liked in Fallout 3 however.  Moira Brown, Sarah Lyons, Elder Lyons, and a few of the BoS guys.  Admittedly, they aren't nearly as flushed out as the characters in New Vegas, Boone and Veronica in particular.

The Attention to Detail
    I can't but notice this. As said before, dungeons in NV felt like dungeons not without a reason. Almost all places i go to in FO3 has a terminal or note of some sort, with a story behind the place. So even if i go through the same models and textures, I at least feel like I'm in a different place. There's one thing about NV though, they outright cut out a lot of dungeons so I guess it's not that bad. 

I'm in agreement with you here for the most part.  More of Fallout 3's places did have some kind of story behind them, and I really liked that.  New Vegas' locations were just kind of...  There.  In Fallout 3, at times I just had these moments of "Wow..." when I'd finally leave a Vault for the the last time, sealing it up, and the horrors that it would contain.  Those, to me, are what left some of the biggest impressions.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arker101

Fallout 3 had me more invested. Leveling up made you feel powerful instead of New Vegas where you got half the perks (DLC leveling is cool though). Quests were more extravagant. Reilly's Rangers, Oasis, Wasteland survival Guide, You gotta shoot em' in the Head, were all great. Liberty Prime would beat the living crap out of the Boomers in terms of Bad Assery. The Main storyline in 3 also made me think more of "what should I do?" Instead of "How do I get the good ending?" In my opinion the Courier wasn't as invested in the Mojave (nor it with him) as the Capital Wasteland was with The Lone Wanderer.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Patman99

I loved both games, but I felt that New Vegas scratched more of my RPG itch then Fallout 3. For one, I liked the setting of New Vegas better then Fallout 3. One of the many things I liked about 3 was that I felt like I was exploring an unknown world because you start out in the security of the vault. NV, while you did explore, felt more like a known quantity to me. That being said, I loved both games but I enjoyed NV a little more. Also as a side note, I only experienced one bad glitch where the quest target fell through the world... All I had to do is reload a couple of times and he eventually did not fall through...

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ClaritySam

I'd be interested to know if any of you who preferred Fallout 3 were fans of the first two?  I loved 3, but New Vegas felt more like a Fallout game, NV just had that feel to it that Bethesda didn't really capture.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fenrisulfr
    @ClaritySam

I played Fallout 2 after I had played Fallout 3, right before New Vegas was released.  I wanted the back story and feel of the original games so I had an idea of what to expect when New Vegas came out, knowing that a lot of people at Obsidian had also worked at Black isle.  While Fallout 2 was a good game for that era, it really doesn't hold up too well anymore.  I tried liking it, playing to certain points a few times, but it just relied too much on DnD rules and dice rolls and I just can't get over that since I absolutely HATE dice roll games.  It takes the skill out of properly doing something or surveying the land and using it to your advantage.  Sequence and burst fire guns were also a major bitch to deal with, not to mention allies who'd kill me more frequently than the enemy because they were always using burst weapons and I could never tell them to NOT fire in a burst if I was too close.  This resulted in me being gibbed more times than I care to remember, forcing me to reload a save that was an hour away.

So no, I'm not a fan of Fallout 2.
    SaNdMuNkEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SaNdMuNkEy

NV really improved on the voice acting and story, the struggle over deciding which faction to support made it much more engaging but somehow Fallout 3 managed to keep me hooked for longer and I don't understand why. I have had so many run throughs and saves on it that I'm scared to see how many hours have been 'wasted', whereas NV only has a normal and a hardcore save. 

Also, the Gary vault in F3 was one of the most terrifying experiences of any game made, EVER!!

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chop

I could get to the end of FO3 without my save imploding, that makes it better. 

It's sad because I feel like New Vegas trounces it in every aspect besides playability. 
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

New Vegas was better for me, personally. 

While I loved Fallout 3, I didn't feel like many of my actions had any consequences, apart from whether or not I chose to blow up Megaton. But in Fallout New Vegas, I'm constantly thinking about how my actions will affect my status in certain towns. 

On a related note, I really, really didn't want to blow up that bunker, but I did it anyway. And man, I felt like shit afterward. Hail Caesar!
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#38  Edited By skrutop

I really got into Fallout 3 due to its setting and how the world was conceived.  New Vegas had more interesting characters and story (to some degree), but as a game I found it to be really boring to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.