Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Deathclaws help !

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yanngc33

Duders i'm stuck ! I'm about 24 hours in and doing the quest "oh papa" where you must talk to Melissa to convince the Great Khans to join the NCR. The only problem is that there is a quarry full of deathclaws between me and melissa and i'm finding it impossible to defeat them

I'm a level 19 and wearing the mercenary armor. Been trying all different kinds of weapons all the way to the minigun but their shields are impenetrable. There's too many of them and its really bumming me out

Please Help !

denryu12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By denryu12

i used a stealthboy and move during the night otherwise F going pass all those crazies

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can you take a different route?  Like the dude at sloan says, can you go around a different way? (North?) 

If not, I would advise using a sniper rifle such as the anti-material rifle or the Gobi campaign sniper and crouching, sneak attack critical-ing the fuckers.  Take Boone along for the ride, he'll help out.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just noticed Sparky_Buzzsaw is having the exact same problem. 

A stealth boy does sound like a really good idea, though I've never once used one of those things. I used to keep a collection of them in my fridge in Fallout 3.

tskunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By tskunk

@Yanngc33: I had the same problem because I kept pulling 3-4 Deathclaws at once, and my companions would get raped fast and I'd go pretty soon after.

I finally completed that quest by just sneaking slowly, and pulling the Deathclaws one by one. I think the most I pulled at once was two — still more manageable than fucking four.

In terms of weapons, don't focus on DPS. Look for weapons with high pure damage as that's what important for breaking enemy damage thresholds.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cincaid

A) Stealth Boy your way to her.
    B) Since you got that quest I assume you can approach the quarry from "the other side", IE the north? Just take that route.
    C) Snipe ( Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle) the Deathclaws from far, far away. Having Boone with you as companion helps a lot with that, since he's a sniper as well.
    D) Complete " The Legend of the Star"-quest, which gives you an awesome unique laser pistol called Pew Pew. Deathclaws hate it, especially sneaky crits with it which often results in one-shot kills.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Yanngc33:
    I was having some trouble with this too.  Here was my solution, since I hate sneaking past them all.  It's going to be time-consuming, but it'll benefit you greatly in the long run in other ways, so keep that in mind.   Slight SPOILERS ahead, but nothing major.

If you haven't already done so, do the Brotherhood of Steel missions.  Eventually, you will have the option to join the Brotherhood of Steel, which is a smart move because it nets you two awesome benefits.  First is the ability to use power armor.  The second is access to their weapon dealer's full inventory, which has some ridiculously awesome weapons. 

When you can use power armor, go into Hardin's room right next to the main Brotherhood of Steel leader's office.  In his room should be a full suit of power armor, a plasma rifle, and assorted goodies.  Make sure no one is around, sneak, and steal the armor (and the weapon, if you want).  This armor is at full strength, and has fantastic protection value.  Then make your way out to the Brotherhood weapons dealer, and buy either a fantastic plasma weapon or their marksman carbine.  Ignore anything with low damage values, obviously. 

Next, I'd recommend getting Boone and the Eyebot as your companions.  Give Boone the best combat armor you can, along with the best melee weapons you can (he's a stone cold killer with a golf club and his sniper rifle).  After that, stock the hell up on stimpacks, super stimpacks, doctor's bags, Psycho, and Med-X.  You'll probably wind up with an addiction, but that's an easy fix with a quick trip to the doctor in Goodsprings.  

Head to the quarry (or the town south of it).  Try to keep to the hills as much as possible, as sometimes the deathclaws will get stuck climbing them   Keep in mind that your companions will be of limited value, but Boone's the strongest companion for this mission by far.  If you still can't do it, just go, level up a few times, get what implants you can for endurance and perception, and try to keep an eye out for special weapons or on the Gun Runner/Brotherhood of Steel armaments.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

From what I've heard the best strategy is t- Oh my God OP, there is a Deathclaw behind you right now!

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By makari

Gonna have trouble if you don't have anything that'll punch through their armour. The anti-matter gun is ideal, and fairly easy to get if you're lockpick and science are up to scratch, but plasma rifles and other high-power energy weapons work too (which funnily enough are harder to come by early on...). You can also set frag mines in their path, if you've bothered leveling explosives it'll cripple some limbs and make them slightly less scary, as well as doing more damage than any conventional weapons will... Who am I kidding, nobody levels explosives.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mmmslash

Just use mines. Once you cripple a Deathclaws legs, they become basically harmless. You can backpedal and kill them with ease.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KimChi4U

I was going to mention frag mines, but seems people beat me to it. Just lay down a path of frag mines, shoot your intended target and then run in the opposite direction. Used indoors, you can kill a whole ton of dudes without ever firing a shot.   Explosives > Guns

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dustpan

There is a side-pass in the north-west part of the quarry that you can take to avoid the deathclaws.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @JustTheDoctor:
    Really?  Where's that at?  I circled the mountain a couple of times, and the only entry point I could find was through the deathclaw encampment. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well people already mentioned everything I was going to suggest :P 
    (sniping from stealth is really the easiest way)

So I'll just say that minigun vs. Deathclaws is a bad idea, they have a decent Damage Threshold and minigun does very little damage per bullet so they will easily shrug it off. You would need AP bullets against them, that's the only way a minigun would work; and minigun shooting AP bullets can get expensive :P

Also get yourself some better armor Mercenary gear is not even armor it is just clothes and offers very little protection, virtually anything is better.
    That said armor does not really matter vs. Deathclaws since it is advisable to never let them reach you in the first place, as they will shred anything but the toughest of armors.

I'm looking forward to killing them with melee on my next play through.

Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Bongos

I just cleaned out the quarry on very hard so heres what I did. I blew half my cash at the gun runners and bought the Anti materiel rifle. NOTHING works against those monster except this and even then it just does enough damage to them and break through their damage threshold like tennmuerti  .Your armor doesn't even matter since they'll just one hit kill you if they get close enough. I brought Boone for his headshotiness and ED-E for maximum perception to tell where they all are. 

I went from the south entrance near the miner town and sneaked shot the first couple of Deathclaws. You have to be far enough so that you only aggro one at a time. You HAVE to kill them before they reach you there is no other option. Aim center mass but try for headshot if you can since it takes away about 1/4 of health.Slowly make your way to the large green mining structure in the middle and go up the ramp to the top. To the north you can see the deathclaw alpha and to the east of it the deathclaw mother. 

From this point it's just pure attrition cause after blowing through those two I had over 60 Armor piercing rounds. At the end I had none and 75% was blown on the mother. 

Regarding why the Anit mat rifle no other weapon comes close to the needed damage to take them out on this difficulty. I tried miniguns laser miniguns shotguns pistols plasma weapons, and even a gauss rifle wasn't enough. On a headshot it only did 2 bars worth of damage and you had to reload on every shot that thing was a death trap. In short Screw deathclaws and screw very hardmode but at least I leveled up I guess.

Jamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jamjones

If you a melee fighter scrap heap is your friend! Kills death claws in 1 hit! The mother and alpha I just planted C4/mines and pulled them in a cripple leg = easy picking

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wiseblood

I haven't tried this myself yet, but supposedly Deathclaws can be knocked out with a couple of bean bag shots from a shotgun.  Then you can finish them off (or let a companion do it) while they're down.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By turbo_toaster

Get the Anti-Materiel gun from Gun Runners and snipe them. Buy all of the ammo for that gun you'll probably need it unless you're a really good shot.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By artofwar420

I'm only level 8 or so and Cheesus! They've made Deathclaws deadly this time. In Fallout 3 by the time I had my guns skill up to a certain level I would sneak attack my way past them like they were butter.

This is great though, it's an actual challenge this time. I enjoy putting down a bunch of mines, you know those ones you never use/pick up/buy. Pile them up and lure a Deathclaw. At the very least their legs get crippled making the job... a little easier. A little.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By galiant

Deathclaws are savage. Boone + ED-E, an Anti-Materiel Rifle with armor piercing shots and a nice, high vantage point is your best bet. 

You could always turn down the difficulty if it's keeping you from advancing and then crank it back up.

Avatar image for generic_crack_dealer
    generic_crack_dealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best strategy worked perfectly. I had no companion. Find a rock that you can jump to. There is one at the entrance to the quarry by melissa (before you enter the actual quarry or meet her) and there is one on the edge of the center ring of the quarry. Jump on one of these rocks and start shooting. Your indicator will say DANGER, but all the deathclaws will do is run left and right, forward and back. I took down something like four deathclaws, five young ones, and the mom and the alpha male . . . all with a hunting rifle. If you just wait until you're hidden again after shooting, you can get sneak attacks and take them down easily. If a deathclaw manages to attack you on the rock . . . . it's not the right rock.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artofwar420
    @generic_crack_dealer: That's a little too cheesy for me, but whatever floats your rock.
    pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By pabsi9
    @Yanngc33 if ur playing PC just download the smokers armour mod, u get this sick assault rifle that does 150 damage and a grenade launcher that destroys deathclaws with one shot..also u get books that up all ur skills(science, lockpick, guns, etc) to 100...u also carry 100,000 in weight instead of 260 and u get 20,000 bottle caps and 65,000 pins...shits fun!
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @pabsi9 said:
    " @Yanngc33 if ur playing PC just download the smokers armour mod, u get this sick assault rifle that does 150 damage and a grenade launcher that destroys deathclaws with one shot..also u get books that up all ur skills(science, lockpick, guns, etc) to 100...u also carry 100,000 in weight instead of 260 and u get 20,000 bottle caps and 65,000 pins...shits fun! "
    So its a "Win Button" mod? No Thanks.
    Avatar image for generic_crack_dealer
    generic_crack_dealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artofwar420 --- There's no cheese on the rocks so you're good. ( Am I stupid or sarcastic? You decide. I choose both.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.