Do I get this? and with what DLC?

#1 Posted by beardfish (113 posts) -

I purchased FO3 as soon as it came out and blazed through it - really enjoyed it and didn't have any major issues during that run through. Enter several DLC releases and I wound up buying the GOTY edition when it was on sale (cheaper than buying them individually).

Attempted to play through it for the 2nd time with more content to enjoy, and I was extremely frustrated this time around with the crashing (losing progress, and occasionally save file corruption) - I gave up on it.

It's pretty obvious that FO:NV has issues

Help! I'm bored on a Sunday. If you think this game will frustrate me to no end, also take this into account, I usually play something 3/4 of the way through then ditch it (e.g.: GOW3, 40K Space Marine, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex: HR, Red Dead Redemption, the list goes on and on)

Thanks!

#2 Posted by pickassoreborn (528 posts) -

I loved Fallout 3 and I was put off with the bugs which came with the release of New Vegas, but I grabbed it after a while and was glad I did. It's basically more Fallout 3, but a lot more options open to you in regards to ammo crafting, recycling, modding weapons and companions. Also I would recommend the Dead Money DLC - it feels a lot more substantial than other DLC I've played, plus it really mixes up the gameplay. Very atmospheric also.

#3 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -

I would say get it and ALL the DLC, but if you have to choose 1 or 2, I'd say Old World Blues and/or Lonesome Road are the ones to get. Much better story stuff in those two.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

I would say get it and ALL the DLC, but if you have to choose 1 or 2, I'd say Old World Blues and/or Lonesome Road are the ones to get. Much better story stuff in those two.

if you have to skip only one DLC, skip honest hearts since that doesn't play into the overarching story in the DLC.

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9862 posts) -

New Vegas is great. I don't know about the DLC because fuck DLC.

#6 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

Take it. It's Fallout 3 with an actual WRITER on board this time, with some great improvements. There's plenty of bugs, though, so be prepared.

Concerning DLC, I'd take all of them, since they're well written and entertaining, even though Dead Money is a bitch to play.

#7 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Yes, you should get it (and on PC if you want mods). As for DLC... I've played Old World Blues and it was great, but I haven't played the others.

#8 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

Buy it on PC when the GOTY edition comes out, it'll be mostly bug free (It is in my experience) and it'll be cheaper.

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4991 posts) -

@beardfish said:

It's pretty obvious that FO:NV has issues

What? Not anymore, at least on PC. Not more than any other game, in my experience.

#10 Posted by beardfish (113 posts) -

The $19.99 price point on steam doesn't put me off too much for the base game, but I'd rather get it with DLC that goes along with the overarching storyline - that seems to be Lonesome Road and Old World Blues?

#11 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

New Vegas is great, better than Fallout 3 imo, although both games are awesome. Anyway, you have to get Old World Blues and Dead Money, Lonesome Road and Honest Hearts not so much, although you get some nice toys and a +5 level cap per DLC.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4991 posts) -

@beardfish said:

The $19.99 price point on steam doesn't put me off too much for the base game, but I'd rather get it with DLC that goes along with the overarching storyline - that seems to be Lonesome Road and Old World Blues?

None of the DLC actually ties to the story that much. Don't come expecting another Broken Steel. The ones that more directly reference the main plot of NV are Lonesome Road and Honest Hearts, which can be especially interesting if you're playing siding with the Legion. IMO, Dead Money > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road > Honest Hearts. But if I were you, I'd wait for the Winter Steam sale or the GOTY edition.

#13 Edited by awesomeusername (4207 posts) -

@beardfish said:

I usually play something 3/4 of the way through then ditch it (e.g.: GOW3, 40K Space Marine, Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex: HR, Red Dead Redemption, the list goes on and on)

Give me ALL your games! This is not cool!!!111!!11!

@Mikemcn: I doubt there will be a GOTY edition seeming that the game didn't win no GOTY's. Maybe a complete edition though.

#14 Posted by BisonHero (6665 posts) -

@awesomeusername: We've long since passed the era when you actually had to win any publication's GOTY award to put out a GOTY edition of your game. Now, as long as the game sold reasonably well, and the majority of reviewers liked it, you can release an updated version of the game as the "GOTY Edition". The only time that doesn't happen is if the game isn't very well known, at which point they're more likely to put a "[Game name] Complete" version or something, but that applies almost exclusively to lesser known PC games.

I mean, the only version of Plants vs. Zombies you can buy on Steam now is the "Game of the Year Edition", where they went back and updated it with a few more achievements and minor features, to coincide with releasing the game on XBLA, I think. I'm almost positive that while PvZ was a pretty awesome casual game, nobody gave it any significant awards.

Anything with a significant amount of DLC will often end up having a GOTY edition. Fallout 3, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins, Civilization V. It's inevitable that New Vegas will have a GOTY edition that includes all the DLC.

#15 Posted by Catfish666 (191 posts) -

Content and writing wise FO:NV is practically FO 3.5. Bethesda had already made the technical framework, so Obsidian could concentrate more in writing and fleshing out the world they created. Many of their employees are also people who worked with Fallout 2, so love for the franchise is evident, the writing is more tongue in cheek, which I at least preferred compared to FO3's more serious tone.

The DLC in NV is more cohesive writing vise, that is that it all ties in neatly together to the Mojave wasteland adventures, other DLC and even has nods to older Fallouts. I like how it all "snaps" together neatly, but I must say I enjoyed some FO3 DLC as standalones more.

Dead Money = Definitely most divisive of the bunch. Very atmospheric and dark, the gameplay mimics survivor horror, but the biggest gripe is the same old: being locked in the DLC area until you finish it. No bringing your equipment in either. And there's no return once you're done.

Honest Hearts = The landscapes are really pretty and I doubt any official content will get any more "nature pretty", but many keep saying this was the most boring of the bunch. There's Yao Guais if you missed those. Locked in to the world until you finish it, can carry in only 75 or 100 lbs. of equipment, but you can return here.

Old World Blues = Sci-fi techno adventure in contrast to the previous; Goofiest story in DLC also, alot of dialogue here. Robot scorpions, talking safehouse accessories and blue tinted world. Can carry all your shit in and return once done, also rewards you with a kickass safehouse. Personal favorite of mine.

Lonesome Road = Only DLC that you can go in an out as you please, rather straightforward though, but embodies the iconic "lone wanderer and a sidekick" thing prevalent in Fallouts. Fleshens out alot one existing companion you can find. Also, nukes.

And most important of all, play it on PC if you have a decent enough setup. With all the available mods you have more content than you can shake a stick at plus many user made stability patches if you only like the official stuff. Just check out the shit they have here:

New Vegas Nexus

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.