Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Fallout 3/New Vegas Radio: The voices in the radiation.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fenrisulfr

After playing over a hundred hours of Fallout 3, and approaching that same time with New Vegas, I have to give one of my biggest complaints: I find the radio programs in New Vegas extremely lacking.  After roaming through the Capital Wasteland, hearing Three Dog chime in occasionally, and listening to the songs that played on GNR, I have to say that Wayne Newton, Mr. New Vegas, is just not interesting to listen to in the slightest.  It's all celebrity personality without any, well, personality.  He's boring, monotonous, sounds like he could care less about what he's saying, and when he talks it just sounds, stiff and hard to pay attention to. 

Now, I'm not saying that every radio host in the games need to be as energetic as Three Dog was, but having them be likable is something completely different.  When i wake up in the morning with the radio on (having it play all night long), I'm not greeted with a super energetic voice (like Three Dog), I'm listening to a very mellow, calm voice that comes on in between the classical musical numbers that are played.* 

As for the entire station itself, I also found really boring.  The song, though they may have been hits when they came out, or ultimately forgettable.  There's no catch to them, nothing to makes me feel like I'm IN the Mojave Wasteland like I did when I was in the Capital Wasteland.  There are no side shows, like the Adventures of Herbert "Dashing" Dashwood or the PSA announcements, and I feel as though Obsidian dropped the ball on this, not taking advantage of having a more civilized radio show, complete with more, and longer, interviews with some of the more famous people of New Vegas.  The King interview doesn't really count since it didn't really say anything outside of, "We need to reconsider."

I never would have thought that the radio stations would have played as large of a role in my enjoyability of the games as they have.  Has anyone else felt this way about the radio shows in the newer Fallout games, or disagree with me completely? 

*Colorado Public Radio station

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

Three Dog was the man, and yes the more country western sounding songs in New Vegas aren't near as good as those in Fallout 3. I actually got a bunch of those songs on itunes and made my own Fallout 3 soundtrack.
    Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fenrisulfr

Something I noticed, was that there aren't any western songs!  Maybe Obsidian wanted to go for a Vegas-only sound with the music that plays over the radio.  I don't know what to believe since they do have a cowboy perk, plus the western looking caravaning, but lack the music of it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Nah, New Vegas was better. 3 Dawg was a morning DJ, more appealing to simpletons I guess.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Entus

If you're on the PC, you could always find mods for custom radio stations or if you're mod-savy, you could always create your own soundtracks.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Gizmo

Is the title of this thread a Eraserhead reference?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat
    @Entus said:
    " If you're on the PC, you could always find mods for custom radio stations or if you're mod-savy, you could always create your own soundtracks. "
    You don't even need to be savvy, there are mod resources that allow you to easily convert any songs for use on a custom radio station.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @Entus said:

" If you're on the PC, you could always find mods for custom radio stations or if you're mod-savy, you could always create your own soundtracks. "

There's only one actual station mod I know of (it plays cold war era PSAs or something), the rest just add songs to the existing stations. 
    edit 
    Oh and the robot technoey station which is actually occasionally funny, which might be a convert from Fallout 3."Let us now take a moment of silence for the Wastelanders who died in the time in took me to complete this sentence".
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raymayne

I hated the radio stations in NV, I mean I don't want to set this thread on fire, but I'm a mighty, mighty man, I'm young and I'm in my prime, and I'll keep hackin' and whackin' and smackin' on the New Vegas Soundtrack because on these forums, anything goes.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol dude the songs are based on the mythos and theme....1940s-1950's ideal of technology and society being thrust forth for a certain amount of time before all creative outlet and civilization is destroyed in nuclear war... therefor the remnants that are left are direct products of that 1940's-1950's culture... so the songs are going to be that type of stuff. 

As for that I don't think they dropped the ball because they can't get most of the songs from that era they are restricted not only by space concerns but getting the songs they can the songs are still under copyright and require rights purchases.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fenrisulfr
    @ryanwho said:

" Nah, New Vegas was better. 3 Dawg was a morning DJ, more appealing to simpletons I guess. "

If he's a morning DJ, then I would need to take a nap after listening too him.  Too much energy for when I'm just waking up. 

@Entus
    said:

Unfortunately I can't do that since I have the game on the 360 and don't have a computer that can run the PC version. 

@Gizmo said: 

" Is the title of this thread a Eraserhead reference? "

I have no idea.  I just remember hearing Three Dog say something along the lines of, "...the voice in the radiation." 

@Raymayne said:
    " I hated the radio stations in NV, I mean I don't want to set this thread on fire, but I'm a mighty, mighty man, I'm young and I'm in my prime, and I'll keep hackin' and whackin' and smackin' on the New Vegas Soundtrack because on these forums, anything goes. "
    * applauds*  I approve of this comical post. 

@WilliamRLBaker said:
    " lol dude the songs are based on the mythos and theme....1940s-1950's ideal of technology and society being thrust forth for a certain amount of time before all creative outlet and civilization is destroyed in nuclear war... therefor the remnants that are left are direct products of that 1940's-1950's culture... so the songs are going to be that type of stuff.   As for that I don't think they dropped the ball because they can't get most of the songs from that era they are restricted not only by space concerns but getting the songs they can the songs are still under copyright and require rights purchases. "
    Of course, but choosing songs from the same people that would've been around for over 125 years?  I get the whole 1950's bit and all, but there was other stuff during that time that can still be symbolic of that era, just about anything during the pre-rock and roll era will suffice.  Swing and big band music weren't the only things alive and well at the time, and in this setting, western music would definitely add to the over all feel to the game.

If they could get Bing Crosby's stuff, then I'm sure they could get other artists as well.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Raymayne said:
    " I hated the radio stations in NV, I mean I don't want to set this thread on fire, but I'm a mighty, mighty man, I'm young and I'm in my prime, and I'll keep hackin' and whackin' and smackin' on the New Vegas Soundtrack because on these forums, anything goes. "
    Well I've got spurs, and they go jingle jangle jingle!
    27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr
    @Fenrisulfr:  i rather watch Billy O'reilly than listen to Mr New Vegas, I think the Omerta boss who looks like Al Capone, would be a better and funnier Host.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

New Vegas's juxtaposition is what makes him brilliant. Like I said, not everyone gets subtlety and subversion. You just want the easy, obvious joke. 3 dawwwwwwwwwg.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @ryanwho:  

I agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, but I still believe that the game needed more songs. 
    Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fenrisulfr

I'm obviously missing something then.  Is the joke that Wayne Newton actually had his own show in Las Vegas and is actually called "Mr. Las Vegas?"  If not than the joke is completely lost on me.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I really enjoyed listening to the radio in Fallout 3, even if it was repetitive. However, I didn't play the game all that much with the music playing. I'm too much of a spaz to listen, unless I know the area is completely safe. I want to be able to hear enemies creeping up on me, you know? So in my limited time with New Vegas so far, I've probably only spent a couple minutes to the radio, but it does sound disappointing that they eliminated the extra radio stuff, and from what I understand, there are very few songs at all. Wasn't that one of the major complaints about Fallout 3's radio? You'd think they would have fixed it for New Vegas by simply adding more music.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

Three Dog was the man. Don't Feed the yao Guais!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ryanwho said:
    " @Entus said:

There's only one actual station mod I know of (it plays cold war era PSAs or something), the rest just add songs to the existing stations. edit Oh and the robot technoey station which is actually occasionally funny, which might be a convert from Fallout 3."Let us now take a moment of silence for the Wastelanders who died in the time in took me to complete this sentence". "
    Give 'em some time, they're sure to come up with some stuff cause the GECK for 3 and New Vegas are so similar, direct conversions are easy, and there's more time to dedicate to creating more stations.  Also, I'd expect a huge expansion for New Vegas Radio like there was for GNR.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

Three Dog was the most annoying fucker in the wasteland,.

I set him on fire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.