Fallout: New Vegas' First DLC To Hit Xbox Live First

• 98 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You didn't need to lick a frog to predict that Fallout: New Vegas would be supported with DLC post-release, but a little voodoo magic might have been required to see this reveal coming: New Vegas' "first" chunk of content, which is slated for release this "holiday," will be exclusive to Xbox Live Marketplace

As of now, Bethesda and developer Obsidian aren't talking about what this new content is. They also aren't willing to admit that the DLC could eventually hit the game's other two platforms, the PS3 and the PC. This seems possible, though, as not many companies pass on the opportunity for free money, especially not once but twice. But then, who's to say how much money changed hands to secure this exclusive deal in the first place? We'll have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

“We’re excited to continue the partnership between Bethesda and Microsoft, and build on the success of the game add-ons released for Fallout 3 on Xbox Live,” said Pete Hines, Bethesda's PR dude. “Fans will once again be able to continue their experience in the Fallout universe with the add-on packs planned for after the launch of the game. 

New-era Fallout fans might remember a similar agreement between Bethesda and Microsoft for Fallout 3. That game's DLC was exclusive to the Xbox 360 and PC for a time, before finally hitting the PS3 as well. 

New Vegas lands in stores tomorrow, and I'm guessing a few of you will be switching over your pre-order today. They got you, didn't they? Oh, those corporate types and their exclusivity deals! 

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You didn't need to lick a frog to predict that Fallout: New Vegas would be supported with DLC post-release, but a little voodoo magic might have been required to see this reveal coming: New Vegas' "first" chunk of content, which is slated for release this "holiday," will be exclusive to Xbox Live Marketplace

As of now, Bethesda and developer Obsidian aren't talking about what this new content is. They also aren't willing to admit that the DLC could eventually hit the game's other two platforms, the PS3 and the PC. This seems possible, though, as not many companies pass on the opportunity for free money, especially not once but twice. But then, who's to say how much money changed hands to secure this exclusive deal in the first place? We'll have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

“We’re excited to continue the partnership between Bethesda and Microsoft, and build on the success of the game add-ons released for Fallout 3 on Xbox Live,” said Pete Hines, Bethesda's PR dude. “Fans will once again be able to continue their experience in the Fallout universe with the add-on packs planned for after the launch of the game. 

New-era Fallout fans might remember a similar agreement between Bethesda and Microsoft for Fallout 3. That game's DLC was exclusive to the Xbox 360 and PC for a time, before finally hitting the PS3 as well. 

New Vegas lands in stores tomorrow, and I'm guessing a few of you will be switching over your pre-order today. They got you, didn't they? Oh, those corporate types and their exclusivity deals! 

#2 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -

Nice!  Now I just need to finish Fallout 3 :p

#3 Posted by DonChipotle (2845 posts) -

As someone who will be playing this on the PC I say "Fuck"

#4 Edited by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

first 
edit: FUUUUUUUUU

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

WELL I AM POSITIVELY GOB SMACKED!

#6 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Saw this coming.

#7 Posted by nxau (111 posts) -

GOD DAMMIT, I HATE Microsoft! GAH!

#8 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -

Hopefully its just a month and not as long as the fallout 3 wait was.

#9 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

This shit better be free for people who bought New Vegas new.

#10 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@nxau said:
" GOD DAMMIT, I HATE Microsoft! GAH! "
Hate Bethesda, it's their game and their decision.
#11 Posted by Mikular (163 posts) -

Was swithering on which platform to get it for (PC/Xbox 360), and while the Xbox was winning anyway, this confirms it. Needs mah DLC.

#12 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

Even the PR for this sucks.

"Yeah, we're sticking it to a good chunk of our fans, but we're happy to take Microsoft's money so that only a portion of our fans get to experience the DLC."

Sheesh.

#13 Posted by Frootsnax (73 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @nxau said:
Hate Bethesda, it's their game and their decision. "
You mean obsidian, bethesda just licensed out the oblivion engine on this one.
#14 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

Guess that settles which platform I'm getting it on when I do...not like I was gonna pass up achievements anyway!

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@Tesla said:
" This shit better be free for people who bought New Vegas new. "
It'll be free to those who wait and buy the GoTY version.

@nxau said:

I agree that this kind of exclusivity is bad, but why blame Microsoft?  It's Bethesda's fault and Sony have been doing exactly the same thing with games.  Microsoft are just being competitive. 
#16 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

On the one hand I hate this but on the other I can understand Microsoft wants people to buy the game on their console. Same goes with Sony when they make deals like exclusive Joker levels or all the EA exclusives they got this year. From a business perspective it is very interesting in seeing what they go for but from a gamer perspective it's a little frustrating. 

#17 Posted by nxau (111 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: Well, yeah, but I'm REALLY looking forward to this game, and I hate not being able to buy the DLC. 

...and I don't want to wait a year for the PS3 GOTY-version :(. 

(And.. I'll be the first to admit it, it's the fanboy in me who's raging - I would approve if Sony did this :P)
#18 Posted by gike987 (1779 posts) -
I still take mods over early DLC.
#19 Posted by SSully (4324 posts) -

Well this pretty much blows, i cant stand when microsoft pulls this bullshit. Oh well, i guess ill have to live with mods until its out for PC. 

#20 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I'm waiting to be completely sold on this game. Having yet to finish Fallout 3 (just bought the GOTY guide), the previews looking okay, as well as having numerous other games I expect to be playing this holiday season... I'm unsure about this game.

Giant Bomb, help me!

#21 Posted by Kilnik (73 posts) -

What the FUUUUUU.... -_- 

Where's the PC love?

#22 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

This blows. I just pre-ordered for PC...

#23 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

Pre-ordered for PC, but I was planning on getting the Xbox version eventually. This just gives me another reason to do so.

#24 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

Wasn't the early DLC for Fallout 3 crap anyway? Best DLC usually comes later, like the shadow broker for ME2, General Knoxx for Borderlands and Point Lookout for Fallout 3.

Anyone have examples of DLC actually getting worse? Dragon Age maybe

#25 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1130 posts) -

It is no surprise that this is happening but that still sucks since I am getting it for PS3.

#26 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

They didn't get me, i stand by my drunken Steam pre purchase.

#27 Posted by ChrisTobin (56 posts) -

Well I was going to get this for the xbox and get around 50 achievements I'm missing in Fallout 3 before I buy this anyway, but this sucks for tons of other people. Oh well, I'm sure it will come out for you guys eventually, and a little waiting isn't going to kill you. You'll be able to play as much as everyone else (hopefully), just a while later. Though I understand why people would be angry, patients is hard.

#28 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Partnership? No, they just threw money at you.

#29 Posted by Wiseblood (657 posts) -

That kinds sucks.  The PC version of FO3 got DLC at the same time, but I guess since NV isn't using GFWL then the PC version no longer applies in whatever deal Microsoft made with Bethesda.

#30 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -
@jorbear said:
" This blows. I just pre-ordered for PC... "
Mods!
#31 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

Well that sucks as a PC gamer.  Guess I'll just wait for the Game of the Year edition.  Balls.

#32 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -
@Frootsnax said:
" @MordeaniisChaos said:
" @nxau said:
Hate Bethesda, it's their game and their decision. "
You mean obsidian, bethesda just licensed out the oblivion engine on this one. "
It's published by Bethesda Softworks. It's not like Obsidian bought the rights to Fallout from them either.
#33 Posted by SquirrelGOD (506 posts) -
@jozzy:  The later Fallout DLC was definitely better, but the early stuff was surprisingly good.
#34 Posted by Vitefish (445 posts) -

This really brings my piss to a boil. I hate this. I don't hate Microsoft or Obsidian or Bethesda. I'm just so damn angry that this won't be coming to my system of choice.

#35 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@Strongba1 said:
" This really brings my piss to a boil. I hate this. I don't hate Microsoft or Obsidian or Bethesda. I'm just so damn angry that this won't be coming to my system of choice. "
/points. Hah Hah!
#36 Posted by SoFarGone (3 posts) -

I saw this coming

#37 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -

And I still haven't played Fallout 3...

I need to build myself a cave where I do nothing buy play games 24/7 so I can catch up with all the games I've missed out on.

#38 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" @jorbear said:
" This blows. I just pre-ordered for PC... "
Mods! "
Yeah, mods are certainly nice, but nothing compares to Obsidian's story-telling. Except maybe Grandpa's... 
#39 Posted by TestamentUK (61 posts) -

As a PS3 owner who loved Fallout 3, I never played the DLC because of the XBox exclusivity. Partially that was on principle, but mainly because I'd played so much of the original game by the time the DLC actually came to PS3 I'd moved on and lost any interest I had in it. No doubt this time will be no different. 

The problem is that game publishers consider platform makers & advertisers their customers, not the people buying the games. They'll take Microsoft's (or whoever it is at the time) money over keeping the interest of a subset of a game's fans every time. Would be interesting to hear what the developers really think of these deals.

#40 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@VelvetLore04
As someone who will be playing this on the PC I say "Fuck"
Same here, I played fallout 3 for 360 but now that I'll have a better rig, I'm going PC.
#41 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Partnership? No, they just threw money at you. "
Not exactly.  They paid for the rather extensive ad-campaign in return for the DLC.
You can take a cynical look at that if you wish, but it's still a partnership.
#42 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Sorry to be "that guy," but the obsidiant link at the top of the page links to a game called obsidian, not the devlopers.

#43 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

Welp, I guess I'll be waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition.

#44 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @Vinchenzo said:

" Partnership? No, they just threw money at you. "

Not exactly.  They paid for the rather extensive ad-campaign in return for the DLC. You can take a cynical look at that if you wish, but it's still a partnership. "
Too many people get too bent out of shape everytime standard business is done - especially, it seems, if Microsoft is involved in that business.

It's cool to be pissed off if you're missing out on something (it bugs me too when it doesn't go my way), but to pretend it's "dirty" or that Microsoft is the only one involved in these sort of transactions is silly and naive.
#45 Posted by arca (134 posts) -

Really considering getting this for the 360 due to the fact that I wont have access to my gaming PC for a few more months. Even though the PC version is always better due to mods.

#46 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -

Meh, by the time I'm done with the main content of NV, the DLC will have been on the PS3 for some time.

#47 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (173 posts) -

Sexbox 360 FTW

#48 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I'll still be get it on the PC anyways but this does disappoint me now.

#49 Posted by Dynamitekyle (561 posts) -

Sticking with Steam. S'all bout dem mods, but this still sucks.

#50 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

OK.....cool.......I'm still gonna mod your game to shit though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.