Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas, why do you hate me so?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

Edited By galiant

I love Fallout: New Vegas. There is so much to see, so much to do, and so many ways to go about it. I love the way it looks, I love the way it sounds, I love the atmosphere and the script and the Wild Wasteland trait. I've played hundreds of hours of this game across so many different characters, all of the DLC, several times over. I'd give you an exact number, but sometimes I get twitchy and decide that my new character is my new "main", and thus I delete my old "main". I still don't know why I do that.

I just recently finished Lonesome Road, the latest DLC (which I thoroughly enjoyed), but mere minutes ago I had my fill of this game. After who knows how many patches, the PS3 version still has these MAJOR issues:

1. Random frame rate drops. They get so bad that the only solution is restarting the game, loading a save does not help.
    2. Random crashes. The game world freezes, music keeps on playing, only solution is to reset the PS3. Believe me, I tried waiting. Sometimes it never clears up.
    3. Long load times. It's not unbearable, but combined with the above? It's a nightmare.
    4. Broken quests. "Go see this guy! Except, you know, he hasn't spawned yet so I'll point you in the direction of NOWHERE".

I'm writing this right now because it got so bad that I was restarting the game every fifteen minutes. It's ridiculous. It would seem that the game gets more unstable the more hours you've put into a save, although the first time I played through the game I made it through 30 hours without a single crash (!). Now I'm lucky if I can make it through 15. Beyond that, it becomes more frequent.

I've tried everything. My PS3 actually broke at one point so now I have a brand new slim model. Didn't make a difference. I've tried deleting the game files, re-installing the game, nothing. I even tried restoring the file system of my PS3 by going into some weird boot mode. No difference. Disabling auto-saves? Does nothing.

It's a shame, because I love playing this game so much, I really do, despite its many other obvious flaws that go beyond it being a shoddy port or poorly programmed (don't get me started on those). I don't think any other game has made me spend so much time playing it since World of Warcraft (or, you know, Fallout 3).

But there is hope! With the "new engine" they're using for Skyrim, maybe Fallout 4 won't be so fucking broken. Maybe.

Bah, who am I kidding...I'll start up a new save once the Gun Runners' DLC is out, and I'll wander that Mojave wasteland until it freezes on me again.

Then I'll start a fresh save.

Again.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By galiant

I love Fallout: New Vegas. There is so much to see, so much to do, and so many ways to go about it. I love the way it looks, I love the way it sounds, I love the atmosphere and the script and the Wild Wasteland trait. I've played hundreds of hours of this game across so many different characters, all of the DLC, several times over. I'd give you an exact number, but sometimes I get twitchy and decide that my new character is my new "main", and thus I delete my old "main". I still don't know why I do that.

I just recently finished Lonesome Road, the latest DLC (which I thoroughly enjoyed), but mere minutes ago I had my fill of this game. After who knows how many patches, the PS3 version still has these MAJOR issues:

1. Random frame rate drops. They get so bad that the only solution is restarting the game, loading a save does not help.
    2. Random crashes. The game world freezes, music keeps on playing, only solution is to reset the PS3. Believe me, I tried waiting. Sometimes it never clears up.
    3. Long load times. It's not unbearable, but combined with the above? It's a nightmare.
    4. Broken quests. "Go see this guy! Except, you know, he hasn't spawned yet so I'll point you in the direction of NOWHERE".

I'm writing this right now because it got so bad that I was restarting the game every fifteen minutes. It's ridiculous. It would seem that the game gets more unstable the more hours you've put into a save, although the first time I played through the game I made it through 30 hours without a single crash (!). Now I'm lucky if I can make it through 15. Beyond that, it becomes more frequent.

I've tried everything. My PS3 actually broke at one point so now I have a brand new slim model. Didn't make a difference. I've tried deleting the game files, re-installing the game, nothing. I even tried restoring the file system of my PS3 by going into some weird boot mode. No difference. Disabling auto-saves? Does nothing.

It's a shame, because I love playing this game so much, I really do, despite its many other obvious flaws that go beyond it being a shoddy port or poorly programmed (don't get me started on those). I don't think any other game has made me spend so much time playing it since World of Warcraft (or, you know, Fallout 3).

But there is hope! With the "new engine" they're using for Skyrim, maybe Fallout 4 won't be so fucking broken. Maybe.

Bah, who am I kidding...I'll start up a new save once the Gun Runners' DLC is out, and I'll wander that Mojave wasteland until it freezes on me again.

Then I'll start a fresh save.

Again.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By cstrang

Pppsshh... I stopped playing the fucking game when it corrupted my saves the first time.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JudgeDread

heres a tip

play it on PC

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By galiant

@JudgeDread said:

heres a tip

play it on PC

...and you would advice me to purchase the game again, along with all the DLC, on the PC, when I've already spent hundreds of hours on it? Not to mention that the version I got was the collector's edition, meaning I've already spent a small fortune on it if you also count all the DLC I've bought?

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JudgeDread

well...

I have bought fallout 3 three times, twice on PC and the GOTY for PS3.

But I always buy the PC version first. Then GOTY version on PS3 when its below 30 $ for vanilla play.

But due to how crappy Bethesda supports the PS3 versions of their games (Fallout 3 still not working properly) I will (probably) not buy GOTY of New Vegas for PS3. Especially since your nr 2 (Random crashes. The game world freezes....) was a major issue on the PS3 version of Fallout 3 and they still not have fixed it.

Besides PC-games are much cheaper. Buy it whenever its on sale somewhere or wait for the GOTY version for PC. It is steamworks so you dont have to pay the ultrahigh prices that valve takes just to play it on steam. Buy it anywhere it is cheapest and then install on steam. You probably can get the game with all DLC for under 50 usd right now. Maybe under 30 usd if there is big sale.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

Every bug, glitch, game crash and frame drop is completely random in this game. There's really nothing you can do about it other than to cross your fingers when you pop in the game and hope that your luck stat is on 10, regardless of any platform. However with the vast community support for the PC, the PC version will always be the most complete, but even then the game will still crash on you at random because of the game engine.

I think i've been lucky with my 360 version since i've played it for a long time now with the latest update without any noticeable problem.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By galiant

@FritzDude said:

Every bug, glitch, game crash and frame drop is completely random in this game. There's really nothing you can do about it other than to cross your fingers when you pop in the game and hope that your luck stat is on 10, regardless of any platform. However with the vast community support for the PC, the PC version will always be the most complete, but even then the game will still crash on you at random because of the game engine.

I think i've been lucky with my 360 version since i've played it for a long time now with the latest update without any noticeable problem.

Well, yeah! Like I said, the unpatched launch version of the game didn't crash on me during the 30 hours it took me to complete my first playthrough, but since then, with all the patches, I've never been able to play for that long without a crash.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By galiant

@cstrang said:

Pppsshh... I stopped playing the fucking game when it corrupted my saves the first time.

You know, for all the crashes I've experienced, never has a save corrupted on me. I guess I'm just that lucky?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

next steam sale, maybe this christmas, definitely get the PC version. I have had maybe 10 crashes in 151 hours of playing, and very little in the way of broken quests. plus mods if that's your thing

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I hear you, man. It crashed on me like 15 times on first playthrough, frame rate dropped constantly, and the load times were long as fuck. But I still loved it. It really shows how amazing this game is that I'm able look past all this bullshit.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JudgeDread

@Laketown said:

next steam sale, maybe this christmas, definitely get the PC version. I have had maybe 10 crashes in 151 hours of playing, and very little in the way of broken quests. plus mods if that's your thing

+ you can continue playing the game after the main story ends (mod). Only on PC.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By eminenssi

@Galiant said:

@JudgeDread said:

heres a tip

play it on PC

...and you would advice me to purchase the game again, along with all the DLC, on the PC, when I've already spent hundreds of hours on it? Not to mention that the version I got was the collector's edition, meaning I've already spent a small fortune on it if you also count all the DLC I've bought?

I gotta pool in as someone who did this. Bought FO:NV on its launch for my 360, played through it twice with some odd 100 hrs clocked in. Told myself I was satisfied and wouldn't return until all DLC has been released. Then I as I bought myself a top end gaming PC this spring and someone directed me to Newvegasnexus.com

Holy shit.

As of now I've bought both FO3 and FO:NV twice, and don't feel like I've made bad deal at all. With mods you can basically make a whole new game for yourself with all the possibilities, from slightly modded and tuned version to a completely redone experience. If you feel the game is perfect as it is, but could use some polishing, check out the bug fixes section, should address your complaint of quests leading nowhere. Throw in MTUI which resizes the UI to larger screen, maybe some graphical improvements like depth of field, removal of the orange tint and prettier skyboxes which comes packed in with more weather conditions (Dynavision, Fellout and Nevada Skies, respectively).

For a completely revamped experience, start with installing Project Nevada, which on top of what's shown comes packed with a neat assortment of weapons & armor that fit the existing world quite seamlessly:

Few other favorites on top of that:

- Elctro-City, adds streetlights to the game and makes the nights actually dark, so without nightvision you actually have to rely on the lights by night

- WME-Weapon Mods Expanded, adds tons of weapon mods, even to unique weaps.

- New Vegas Bounties I & II and New Bison Steve Hotel, 3 quest mods with decent voiceacting (no awkward nerds mumbling to a headset with somehow unplaceable accent). Former lets you dispense justice to outlaws and get paid while latter is a phased quest where you get to renovate and eventually be a co-owner of Bison Steve Hotel in the middle of Primm.

- Advanced Recon Thermal / Nightvision, be like Predator, switch viewmodes on the click of a button! Thermal vision makes hunting those darn nightstalkers considerably easier.

- Road Warrior Armor (aka. Mad Max armor), remember leather armor from the first two games?

Could list a ton more of my currently 86 installed mods, but I better not overdo the advertizing as much as I do the modding itself, just check out the mods yourself. The thing is with people here recommending you the PC version is that you sound like a dude who really digs his Fallout, but could get alot more of it. Anyhoo, I hope I didn't rant too much, but if you really feel you've still got one or two new games in your fallout-gut, seriously consider the PC version :)

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By white_sox

You and me both man. I am currently stuck in the Ultra-Luxe and can't leave. It's really frustrating. Maybe I'll try a new save when it gets super cheap on Steam.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By OneManX

My entire first playthrough went about 22 hours as I didnt do a few side quest and such and got no freezes. My second playthrough I've ran into 3-4 hard crashes which caused me to reset. No save wipes and I had real bad framerate issues when i first started Old World Blues..

and I still love this fucking game.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I played through this game when it launched on 360, and it was so buggy at that time that I eventually just decided to forgo side-quests and power through to the main ending so I could move on to other game.

I'd really like to go back and do another more enjoyable playthrough, but it sounds like there are still too many technical issues abound for that to be possible.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By huntad

@JudgeDread said:

well...

Hah, I bought it FOUR times! Once on 360, once on PS3, once on PC (Disk) and once on steam. Who's the biggest loser NOW?! :)

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JudgeDread

@huntad said:

@JudgeDread said:

well...

Hah, I bought it FOUR times! Once on 360, once on PS3, once on PC (Disk) and once on steam. Who's the biggest loser NOW?! :)

I wouldnt call someone who owns several copies of the worlds greatest game a loser

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

For pretty much every Bethesda game since Morrowind, it's been pretty good advice to get it on the PC if only for access to community-made bug fixes.

Moral of the story: BUY SKYRIM ON PC I'M TOTALLY NOT KIDDING GUYS REALLY GET IT ON PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.