Guy beats the game without killing anything.

• 52 results
#1 Edited by Jack_Daniels (1413 posts) -
#2 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

Very interesting. I just punched and chopped the shit out of everything.

#3 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

Pretty remarkable. I didn't read any of the spoiler warning stuff, haven't finished the game yet. But definitely interested in how he did it.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Cool. Considering my main character is Jesus, maybe that's the route I should have taken... 

Nawwww. Running around and killing people with assault rifles while dressed as Jesus is just too cool.

#5 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Heh, awesome.
I think I'll do a playthrough like that myself, now. Won't have to worry about putting points into combat skills, or taking combat perks.

#6 Posted by Gridius (7 posts) -

I have to assume that this person used beanbag rounds and/or boxing tape/boxing gloves. Even still, this seems like a gargantuan task.

#7 Posted by Jesus (1116 posts) -

Impressive.

#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

That's actually really cool and very inspiring. NV definately does a good job at letting people go their own way to the finish.

#9 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard with a companion following you around.

#10 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

So this really IS a Fallout game after all. Take THAT Fallout 3, you fucking impostor.

You could do this in Fallout 1 and I believe Fallout 2 as well. The ability to finish without ever killing anything is a key tenant of an actual Fallout game, which 3 was not.

#11 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Nice. Although it couldn't have been as fun as when you actually do kill stuff.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I did that for a good amount of Fallout 3. Not purely no-killing, but I talked myself through most quests in that game. Kinda ruined that play through really, didn't have much fun at all. 

#13 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

Well Done! That's really impressive. 

#14 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

why?

#15 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" Heh, awesome. I think I'll do a playthrough like that myself, now. Won't have to worry about putting points into combat skills, or taking combat perks. "
Well depending on your difficulty setting, you don't have to worry about combat skills (even if you're not sneaking). I focused on Speech/Science/Lockpicking so that I wouldn't miss out on any content, and then Boone did all of my killing for me until I had maxed out all of the utility skills so I could dump some points into Guns.

I did not beat the game without killing though, that's damn impressive!
#16 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

He was addicted 6 times. Loser.

#17 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

this isn't deus ex, lol (though im excited for that game) 
honestly, enjoying my evil playthrough a lot more than my good one, using melee as my combat skill and smashing off limbs is the best feeling in the world in that game, they do melee so well. Throwing spears are awesome as well. I love how this game really seperates the 2 karmas using the faction system, right off the bat your questline is different (powder gangers instead of goodsprings errands)

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10898 posts) -

He's using a PC, probably hacked/modded it. Or not. I don't know. 

#19 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Its pretty easy to navigate New Vegas's overworld without killing anything. High speech and high sneak can make this happen. There's the question of why you'd do it, of course, but whatever.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4713 posts) -

That is pretty impressive. I was wondering if it were possible considering the way gaming has evolved since the original Fallouts. Glad to know that it is. 

... but still, I like making people explode.

#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" Its pretty easy to navigate New Vegas's overworld without killing anything. High speech and high sneak can make this happen. There's the question of why you'd do it, of course, but whatever. "

It's done because it's possible and especially because it's a challenge.

There's a dude who did a fantastic Pacifist's Approach LP in System Shock 2.  He got over 80% into the game before he had to kill a thing himself and that's because he couldn't get the AI to destroy specific mission clearing objects for him.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" why? "
Why not?
#23 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

If someone wants to go out of their way to do something so contrived then more power to them. Me? I think I prefer the idea of murdering everyone.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jesus said:
" Impressive. "
says jesus
#25 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @ryanwho said:

" Its pretty easy to navigate New Vegas's overworld without killing anything. High speech and high sneak can make this happen. There's the question of why you'd do it, of course, but whatever. "

It's done because it's possible and especially because it's a challenge
"
I guess what I meant was why this guy thought anyone in the world cared that he has the spare time in his life to "challenge" himself. He went through the trouble of taking a picture of it. This is time he could have spent applying to Wendy's.
#26 Posted by TurboMan (7503 posts) -

do companions count towards your kill count?

#27 Posted by smcn (923 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @ryanwho said:

It's done because it's possible and especially because it's a challenge
"
I guess what I meant was why this guy thought anyone in the world cared that he has the spare time in his life to "challenge" himself. He went through the trouble of taking a picture of it. This is time he could have spent applying to Wendy's. "
Why do you care why he thinks people care?
#28 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

I knew we could do this,but damn... I didn't think anyone would do it.

#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

Back in the old days of Fallout 1 & 2, this wasn't an achievement of any kind.

Kinda says about the games of today, I guess.

#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

So? 

I can beat all the MGS games without killing anyone...

#31 Posted by freakle (4 posts) -

remarkable indeed - but like who said...can't imagine it would be too fun

#32 Posted by myalt22 (101 posts) -

Cool, I'm going to make a playthrough where my speech skill is 100.

#33 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

How is that possible? 
#34 Posted by Verit (105 posts) -

What type of Messiah gets addicted to chems 6 times, picks 119 locks, and hacks 44 computers?

#35 Posted by bwmcmaste (838 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
There's the question of why you'd do it, of course, but whatever. "
Likely so he could post it on forums and earn the praise of his gaming compatriots.
#36 Posted by 27thRed_Martyr (118 posts) -
@Jack_Daniels:  WOW thats a boring way to play a game.
#37 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Impressive, but WHY

#38 Posted by Verit (105 posts) -

Just had a thought, the boxing gloves ( golden gloves specifically) do very very little damage but they inflict fatigue damage. If an opponent takes enough fatigue damage, they'll be knocked unconscious, not killed. I suppose that is a way of attempting such things.

#39 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" Doesn't seem like it would be that hard with a companion following you around. "
He did it without using companions.
#40 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" @Vorbis said:
" Doesn't seem like it would be that hard with a companion following you around. "
He did it without using companions. "
He said he did all their side quests, I assumed you needed a companion to do their sidequest.
#41 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" @Tennmuerti said:
" @Vorbis said:
He did it without using companions. "
He said he did all their side quests, I assumed you needed a companion to do their sidequest. "
He just picked up the companions to do their specific quests I believe, they didn't kill anyone for him.
#42 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@Claude said:
" He was addicted 6 times. Loser. "
Once an addict, always an addict.
#43 Posted by fix8ed (24 posts) -

Wow, thats amazing! If he did it without any crashes/bugs he really is the messiah!

#44 Posted by Mooseslayer (54 posts) -

Quite impressive, but I think I'd make it halfway through a play through, get impatient and shoot someone's head off

#45 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

But.. there are quests where you certainly can NOT avoid combat. The quest involving nightkin for example, and if I remember correctly that's part of the main quest line. 

I suppose he could've run around like a scared chicken from NPC to NPC but still...

#46 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

So, I take it this is the easiest way to do Hardcore mode?

#47 Posted by Scorch (58 posts) -
@Von said:
" But.. there are quests where you certainly can NOT avoid combat. The quest involving nightkin for example, and if I remember correctly that's part of the main quest line.  I suppose he could've run around like a scared chicken from NPC to NPC but still... "
I can think of 3 quests involving nightkin and you can talk your way past all 3. Need a good Speech for one, a good Sneak/Speech for the, and a good Sneak/Repair for the third. Definitely doable.
#48 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -
@Scorch said:
" @Von said:
" But.. there are quests where you certainly can NOT avoid combat. The quest involving nightkin for example, and if I remember correctly that's part of the main quest line.  I suppose he could've run around like a scared chicken from NPC to NPC but still... "
I can think of 3 quests involving nightkin and you can talk your way past all 3. Need a good Speech for one, a good Sneak/Speech for the, and a good Sneak/Repair for the third. Definitely doable. "
Plus none of them are necessary to advance the main quest.
#49 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Very impressive.

#50 Posted by Brendan (7757 posts) -

Neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.