Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Hardcore Mode

• 59 results
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ProfessorEss
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

2nd probably. But it really depends of how different it is from the mods that I've used that are supposed to do the same thing for Fallout 3.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Second playthrough most likely.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Is hardcore mode a difficulty setting? Or can you play hardcore mode on normal difficulty?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I know I probably should've added a "not sure" option but this time I chose not to provide the "easy out". :)

I think I'll try it first, but most likely bail on it so, second for me - tho I have to question whether I'll ever get to a second playthrough.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Romination

Hardcore mode seems like it's against the point of a game to me, and would also be waaay frustrating.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

Not interested at all.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By FritzDude

2nd. I will make Bear Grylls and run around for survival. It's going to be great. Can't wait, but the reason im choosing 2nd is because i need to have a feel for the game first.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Gonna try it out on my first playthrough i think. Typically i find Bethesda games a little easy so i welcome some sort of realism mode. If i don't like it i'll just turn it off.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishan6

second

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Bennyishere

FIRST!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee
    @Romination:
    Survival in the wasteland is a big part of the game. You even have a survival skill that you can put points into.  

Survival mode makes the game even more Fallout, but from what I've played so far it doesn't really make it all that much harder. You just have meters for food, water, and sleep that go up over slowly over time, and just like rads if that number go too high it starts affecting your stats. 

The biggest thing about survival mode is that healing items heal over seconds and not instantly, but to me this is great. In Fallout 3 after you had a pile of stimpacks you could just charge straight into any battle and it didn't matter. You could pause and pump health into yourself anytime. With survival mode, you now have to be more strategic in your aproach. It make it much more immersive and fun.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Going to try it on the first time, I hope its going to be really hard because im sick of all the easy RPG's that came out lately.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrCandleguy
    @Romination: Kinda confused about that comment. I thought fallout was to survive a nuclear wasteland...

Second time because im a bit of a wuss.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: My main concern is ammo having weight.

Again, it adds to the realism but this is the one thing that seems like it could lead to some serious frustration for me.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By skrutop

However, I'm waiting for Christmas to see if my wife gets it for me.  If she doesn't, then I'm waiting for a patch that addresses some of the bugs (if they don't have one before then).

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Originally I was planning on waiting until my 2nd playthrough, but uhh... now I think I'm gonna do it right from the start.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By one_2nd

I might try it on my second playthrough. Not sure. 

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Impossibilium

Hardcore, because it makes it more like STALKER.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Animasta

doing it now, really isn't that hard.

water can be a bitch to find though

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By LegalBagel

Not really interested.  Fallout is more about the story, sidequests, and exploration.  Anything that really prohibits me from just exploring at will is fairly annoying.  Rads are easy enough to manage, and I like the health/rads tradeoff you have to make at times, but if you add in food/water/sleep, have to go home to heal properly, and have to worry about weight more, at that point it's just too much added annoyance.

I remember the first Fallout game had a time limit to finish the initial main quest (find a water chip for your vault) that I also found quite annoying, especially on my first playthrough.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gargantuan
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Romination: Survival in the wasteland is a big part of the game. You even have a survival skill that you can put points into.   Survival mode makes the game even more Fallout, but from what I've played so far it doesn't really make it all that much harder. You just have meters for food, water, and sleep that go up over slowly over time, and just like rads if that number go too high it starts affecting your stats.  The biggest thing about survival mode is that healing items heal over seconds and not instantly, but to me this is great. In Fallout 3 after you had a pile of stimpacks you could just charge straight into any battle and it didn't matter. You could pause and pump health into yourself anytime. With survival mode, you now have to be more strategic in your aproach. It make it much more immersive and fun. "
    Great way to explain why hardcore is awesome. I'm definitely going to use hardcore mode on all my playthroughs. 
     The most important thing is that stimpacks heal over time which will make combat much more exciting. I'm a great scavenger and never really had any ammo or stimpack troubles in FO3 even on the hardest difficulty so the added realism with food, water and ammo will be interesting.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mmmslash

First playthrough, since I am not the wort of man who sits down to pee.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Pie

I'll be using it first playthrough because I felt that the first one never gave you a reason to drink water or be concerned about health and stuff like that  

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Laketown:  You're probably too busy playing but I'm super curious about how much things like Stim-packs and ammo weighs.

I love the concept but I'm worried the "more realistic" mode is going to devolve into little more than "more trips back and forth to my house" and "more load times" mode.

I'm super excited for work to end, my boy to go to bed and my playing to begin. S'probably why I'm babbling.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fentonalpha

Playing it HC now..... feels like the way it's supposed to be played but they left it optional so folks wouldn't freak out.  It's not too much harder.

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Falk
    @Impossibilium said:
    " Hardcore, because it makes it more like STALKER. "
    This.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phantomzxro

I will say my second playthrough because i like to enjoy my first run as much as i can. I like it to be tough but it sound like it will change your gameplan when it comes to what guns you want to use and how many guns you carry, also all the crap you carry.  It always drove me nuts when i could not  haul something back to my locker
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Crocio

Hardcore mode is not what it should have been; food still heals, meaning that you can pause in the middle of a battle and eat 40 meals and still fight.
    The formula should be: Stimpacks heal over time, Food does nothing but stop starvation.

The game is very lenient about long bouts of starvation and sleep deprivation; there should be penalties for long term deficiencies that only heal over regular schedules.

Overall, it does not serve the purpose of a realistic play-through; will wait for mods.
    Not very "Hardcore" at all.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Romination
    @AmonHouston said:
    " @Romination: Kinda confused about that comment. I thought fallout was to survive a nuclear wasteland...  Second time because im a bit of a wuss. "
    I meant just what I think games should be. A bit too realistic. That's my opinion is all, and I know other people find this mode fucking interesting, but not for me.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Animasta
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Laketown:  You're probably too busy playing but I'm super curious about how much things like Stim-packs and ammo weighs.  I love the concept but I'm worried the "more realistic" mode is going to devolve into little more than "more trips back and forth to my house" and "more load times" mode. I'm super excited for work to end, my boy to go to bed and my playing to begin. S'probably why I'm babbling. "
    ammo weight really isn't THAT big a deal, lots of the bullets are .08 or something; sure, if you have something like a minigun or something, then you'll need to worry, but...

also stimpacks are a LITTLE annoying, but still not big a deal. just need to hide a bit more.
    Avatar image for somethingclever
    SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By SomethingClever

I tended to play Fallout 3 very stealthy and stalker-y so I rarely got into a fight I couldn't instantly end from the shadows.  Assuming I continue that style healing over time instant of instant healing doesn't worry me.  Food I'm not too worried about, there are plenty of critters to kill and eat, I'll just have to keep an eye on rads.   

Water might be an issue but I'm not worrying too much about that either.  As Roland (Dark Tower) said "there'll  be water if God wills it."  In the first hour of the game I've currently got three wells of clean water so at the moment I don't even have to worry about rads from the water.   

Ammo weight and such will be negligible, it just means I won't carry nearly as much random trash around all the time.   I was super crazy about gutting a place, getting everything out of it and either selling it or just storing it in my house for potential later use.  This often meant making several trips in and out of places to get everything.  I'm sure I'll do the same again.  

So, tl;dr version is I'm doing it on my first (and likely only) play through.  I already picked the Hard difficulty so why not also go Hardcore?  Worst case scenario I flip the mode off.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By oraknabo

I'm liking this mode, but it would help if you could fill empty bottles with water from faucets and pools.

kanniggit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By kanniggit

hardcore. So far it hasn't been too bad, but having the mercenary pack from best buy helps a lot. I'm hoping it will keep the game from becoming super easy at higher levels.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arker101

I enjoy a challenge, but it's hard for me to enjoy a enviroment and story along with difficulty. 

Second time through fo-sho.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fugie7

i pick C not interested  at all.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @KANNIGGIT said:

" hardcore. So far it hasn't been too bad, but having the mercenary pack from best buy helps a lot. I'm hoping it will keep the game from becoming super easy at higher levels. "

Yeah I'm enjoying the hardcore mode quite a bit, it just makes you weigh your options a little more. I am finding campfires a little tough to find tho.

I also pre-ordered at BestBuy, but I haven't entered the code cause I'm a little worried the bonuses will be overpowered - are you finding this to be the case?
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I will only play New Vegas in Hardcore mode, FO3 was seriously missing any sense of survival.

ohnobruno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ohnobruno

Getting the game tomorrow and plan on playing hardcore cause I really want to immerse myself in this world.  If it ends up being more trouble than its worth than I'll switch it off or start over (whatever option is availible.)  Sometimes being overly difficult can break immersion as well but from the comments I see here, I don't think it will be that bad.  All my friends think I'm crazy for planning on doing this.
    JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JammyJesus

I'm not sure. I don't tend to play second play through of games unless I couldn't get enough of it (Batman: AA for example). 

Kaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Kaps

I'm doing hardcore on first play through and so far I find it's really helped the immersion.

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xabu

15 hours in on Hardcore, and if I do another playthrough I can't ever imagine going back to non-hardcore again.  While crippled limbs are a little obnoxious to deal with, it's just so fantastic and adds just a thin layer of planning and complexity, not actual difficulty.  Dumping off your extra ammo and guns always, cooking up food for yourself, and always carrying enough food and water to sustain yourself (although dehydration is the only one you really worry about at all, you should be eating food regularly enough where its never an issue).  Some encounters are a little tricky, but its all the more worthwhile.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rebirth1337

I'm on Very Hard/Hardcore right now. I played Fallout 3 so long so I'm doing pretty good.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ragdrazi

Hardcore mode is too awesome to pass up.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By me3639

Im 15 hrs in and its not too bad, thank goodness for companions. Level 5 is where i finally seemed to have a fighting chance.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yoctoyotta

I'm pleasantly surprised how much of a non-issue Hardcore mode is.  I think everyone should give it a try and turn it off at any time if you don't like it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox

Gonna try it first. Big fan of STALKER and the description seems like they just should have called it STALKER mode.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Zurv

I like hardcore more.. i never cared about food or drink before.. now i do :) adds more depth to the game... 

... it isn't very hardcore either. It doesn't make the game harder.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Marz

been playing hardcore for about 6 hours, doesn't seem to be that difficult to maintain your characters stats.  The only difficult part is when your limbs are hurt, you need to use a doctor's bag or Hydra to regenerate them, or visit a doctor. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.