Im I playing this game right?

#1 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -

hi all!   

I started fallout: new  Vegas yesterday, it's a great game, lots of fun. All bugs aside. Not having played fallout 3, I have a few questions and issue I'd like to work out here. 

My main problem with the game is, I feel to weak all the time. All the confrontations i run into are either settled by me taking hours to help everyone out or just running away. I worry every time i enter a building, hoping, that on the other side of the  door. There wont be a group of thugs ready to kill me and believe me, they will. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Like the time you have to go kill the big guys in the basement of that place? I'd take one down and have to go back up for supplies and stimpaks.  

So what gives? do i need to grind a few levels before i venture out into the wastelands? 

#2 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

I haven't played New Vegas, but the opening of a Fallout game, before you get good guns and can pump a bunch of points into your weapons stat, is very much a battle of making progress and not getting horribly murdered.  Also, never run in guns blazing. Be careful, take your shots, use VATS liberally.  If you can separate the group enough to kill them one by one, that'll also be a big help.

#3 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Try using VATS more and don't be afraid to use dynamite.

#4 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -

I think you want to dump some points in the guns skill, and make sure your weapons are in order.
Other than that I wouldn't really know, never had a problem with feeling weak past the opening sequences.

#5 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -

haha everytime i use dynamite it goes flying off in the wrong directions lol!

#6 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@Killboyy777 said: you should grind some more levels i haven't played new vegas but if this is anything like 1 and 2 you should get a little higher level before wandering the wastes.
#7 Edited by leebmx (2215 posts) -

Playing Fallout 3 it took me a long time to feel strong in the wasteland. I remember an early encounter in a ruined supermarket (everything's ruined in Fallout don't know why I mentioned that) which I couldn't actually complete until I went back much later in the game when I was stronger.  - but it was supremely satisfying when I did.
  I don't know what games you are used to playing but Fallout  is not just a game where you are a big baddasss taking out whole fortresses full of blokes. You have to think more tactially, know your stats and get them in order and pick and choose your fights.

#8 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -

Another tip: I always explore buildings etc. while in stealth mode so you get a good chance for stealth criticals.

#9 Posted by probablytuna (3533 posts) -

Oh man, I have forgotten the feeling of powerlessness in a Fallout world.. Especially when Hardcore Mode is turned on. But so far, loving the fresh experience!

#10 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

I've always played more in a stealth role in these kinds of games.  Not until you've leveled up quite a ways and gotten some of the more powerful unique weapons do you feel like you can walk in and tear shit up.  I mean, where's the fun of being able to walk up to dudes right in the beginning and take them on without worry?

#11 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

you know what you do?

make it to novac, do the quest for the guy in the giant dinosaur, stop being afraid because he kills everything in 2-3 hits.

#12 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

First time playing i ran into 2 deathclaws by the mill. They killed me in two strikes. The lesson here is to just follow the start quests and go towards Novac, to the right, and if you get a quest saying "Big monster" or "deathclaw", just F-it until you're strong, or get tons of explosives.. You could, of course, just walk everywhere you want, but i think that leans towards experienced players. But this here all depends on what character you're building. Try to get a companion and it's a lot easier, that's for sure.

#13 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Level up Sneak. If you sneak through a door and spam the VATs button it will enter VATs before the room has loaded and you will still be hidden. Each shot will be a critical so just pop off 4 headshots for 4 kills, then just finish off the rest.

Equipping a silencer also helps as there won't be any backup running to aid the first group.

#14 Posted by sixpin (1286 posts) -

What I usually do in building my Fallout character is focus on the specific things that I want to do in the game. I tend to play a sneaky character that hits fast. I like to sneak up on enemies and then crank out a ton of shots before they know what's hit them. So early on I tend to focus on my Guns and Sneak skills. Outside of combat I focus on Speech, Repair, Lockpicking, and Science. 

When building my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. I prioritize my Intelligence level. Secondary stats being Agility and Luck for increased AP (Agility) in VATS and better critical hits (Luck). The nice thing about having a character with high Intelligence is that they gain more Skill Points every level. With more Skill Points every level you character will get a lot stronger as he/she grows. 

Which leads me to Perks. I can't emphasize this enough, take Educated at level 4. It is a little weaker than in Fallout 3, but +2 Skill Points every level adds up quickly. 

Early on your weapons are going to suck, but hot key a rifle for long range and a pistol for shorter range fights. I even carry a shotgun for in-your-face fights early on. Once you get some better guns and pick your perks you can focus more on specific weapon types.

#15 Posted by Sin4profit (2905 posts) -

would probably be nice of them to show a level indicator somehow for new people. As someone who's experienced with Fallout ya just kinda know not to mess with Mutants too much and to stay well away from Deathclaws until yer higher level.

Whether yer playing it right is debatable since you didn't explain were you put your skills or what your tactics are.
I put a lot of my points into Guns and Repair just so i know my guns will be in top shape.

#16 Posted by Killboyy777 (108 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:
" would probably be nice of them to show a level indicator somehow for new people. As someone who's experienced with Fallout ya just kinda know not to mess with Mutants too much and to stay well away from Deathclaws until yer higher level.  Whether yer playing it right is debatable since you didn't explain were you put your skills or what your tactics are. I put a lot of my points into Guns and Repair just so i know my guns will be in top shape. "
good points, maybe i should look into my character a bit more. 
#17 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Killboyy777: That is exactly what it was like when I started playing Fallout 3, I put a lot of my early points into small guns, and used vats exclusively.
#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5292 posts) -
@reddin This. Choosing guns or melée as a tag skill is a must. I usually take speech/lockpick/science/medicine as my other skills, just because they're all the most useful. Also be sure to take a high intelligence skill because each level gives more skill points per level up which is pretty essential.
#19 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Put points into the gun skill, you'll notice a big difference.

#20 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

I started playing Fallout 3 by doing a bunch of side missions, somewhat by accident, and kind of got lost in them.  I had played almost 9 hours before getting to the main storyline stuff and it made the game a little more enjoyable because I was able to go through all the main story stuff fairly easy and was less frustrating.  I'm not saying you should do tons of side missions and over level your character a little bit, but it worked for me.  I'm going to start playing new vegas tonight (just got it) so I hope that mode of playing works, because I intend to use it again.

#21 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

Fallout is 30 hours of running backwards and waiting for VATS to recharge.

#22 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

There is no wrong way to play this game!

If your having a rough time you can always switch to (very easy) ^__^

#23 Posted by dpedal1 (191 posts) -
@ShinjiEx said:
" There is no wrong way to play this game!  If your having a rough time you can always switch to (very easy) ^__^ "
This, you can't play fallout "wrong" it's meant to be played how you want to play it.  You just may not be strong enough to take on the enemies you are currently facing, just come back later.
#24 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" you know what you do?  make it to novac, do the quest for the guy in the giant dinosaur, stop being afraid because he kills everything in 2-3 hits. "
Best tip ever. I just finished that quest.
#25 Posted by INV2 (256 posts) -

It's damn near impossible to get that survival skill book guarded by the horde of giant radscorpions, the one over by Primm, it's ridiculous!  lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.