Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Is New Vegas better than Fallout 3?

• 193 results
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

New Vegas may be better, but it is very different to FO3. It almost doesn't feel like a Fallout game, but it's still great.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Harkat

Fallout 3 is far, far superior. FO3 has a dense, interesting world with extremely thick atmosphere where there is always somewhere cool to explore.

New Vegas has a brown landmass of desert and mountains and quests that are mostly comprised of visiting a faction then running around in said faction's drab corridors doing mundane fetch quests. There is none of the thick, dreary mood of FO3 either. And don't get e started on New Vegas itself. That whole area is just horrible in every way: Ugly, slow to get through, filled with loading screens and nothing interesting going on.

As for combat, New Vegas is slightly better.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By thesquarepear

@Harkat said:

Fallout 3 is far, far superior. FO3 has a dense, interesting world with extremely thick atmosphere where there is always somewhere cool to explore.

New Vegas has a brown landmass of desert and mountains and quests that are mostly comprised of visiting a faction then running around in said faction's drab corridors doing mundane fetch quests. There is none of the thick, dreary mood of FO3 either. And don't get e started on New Vegas itself. That whole area is just horrible in every way: Ugly, slow to get through, filled with loading screens and nothing interesting going on.

As for combat, New Vegas is slightly better.

If you like exploring empty shacks with the same loot and generic raider camps and vaults then sure FO3 is alright but how can you say New Vegas is slow to get through when DC in FO3 was just a few open spaces connected by generic subways?

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

New Vegas may be better, but it is very different to FO3. It almost doesn't feel like a Fallout game, but it's still great.

So the original creators of Fallout don't know what a Fallout game is?

FO3 is basically an empty open world shooter with an ok story and side quests but a great ending sequence and pretty good assets.

FO:NV is a somewhat janky RPG-shooter with a pretty good main storyline, excellent side quests and A-list actors to boot.

Therefore FO:NV > FO3 but since FO:NV might never have come out without FO3 paving the way I can still respect it as an ok game.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Reading these posts made me realize that my copy of New Vegas is still wrapped in the cellophane. Might have to change that and give it a spin.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By destruktive

Well. I think New Vegas is a better game but it didn't impact me the same way as Fallout 3 did. Then again, if you haven't played either you'd probably don't have that problem so New Vegas is a great place to start :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By Animasta

@Canteu said:

My problem with NV is the fact that It's literally always the same until you get past the eastern pass.

You can never just go off in a random direction at the start because of the fucking deathclaws and giant radscorpions.

um you can totally go to NV through the north at level 1 from goodsprings if you've prepared yourself

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By CL60

New Vegas is a lot better. Obsidian knows how to make an excellent story. Bethesda does not.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#108  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@ikwal said:

They are the same game.

I know your post is 9 months old. But fuck you.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@TEHMAXXORZ said:

I assume you never played Fallout 1 or 2.

FO3 is very much the odd man out.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MikkaQ

New Vegas was a lot better by far. Story was more interesting and it was better connected to the Fallout universe than FO3 was. Plus the game played a bit better, so there's that.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Pibo47

The setting for new vegas is good in premise, but horribly executed. Fallout 3 was better IMO.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Robot_Moses

I think New Vegas was a much better game. It felt more 'in' the Fallout universe than 3 did and actually had characters with some depth to them. 3 was slightly less broken and had better DLC, though. Also Liam Neeson.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I like them both equally. Fallout 3's world was funner to explore, but New Vegas expanded a lot with mechanics such as the companion system, crafting and weapon modding.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115  Edited By xMP44x

I preferred Fallout 3, to be honest, but I do think that the Elder Scrolls series is in general better. It's more polished or something. New Vegas, as a game, is better, but Fallout 3 interested me more. The environment seemed more likely as an apocalyptic setting.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Harkat

@TheSquarePear said:

If you like exploring empty shacks with the same loot and generic raider camps and vaults then sure FO3 is alright but how can you say New Vegas is slow to get through when DC in FO3 was just a few open spaces connected by generic subways?

I think DC in Fallout 3, while basically a forking path painted as a city, was extremely atmospheric, scary even. New Vegas was barren and drab. Take that NCR-occupied airport for instance. A gigantic maze of brown corridors with almost nothing in them, filled with characters with nothing interesting to say. Places like these were the only thing punctuating the barren desert in New Vegas, with few exceptions.

UR OPINION R WRONG

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By ThePickle

Nope. New Vegas made some improvements but also put up useless restrictions like only being able to pick perks on even numbered levels (or odds, can't remember). And bombed out DC was way cooler than not bombed out Las Vegas. The alliance stuff was also unnecessary.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#118  Edited By falling_fast

New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 in every single way.

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119  Edited By Kenshinfan818

New Vegas, just had more engaging things going on. The game really encouraged players to get more into the game, and explore more and more into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

There are things I like more about Fallout: New Vegas, and some I like more about 3.

Fallout 3 pros:

Darker, more intimidating atmosphere, and world overall.

Brotherhood of Steel has a higher relevance in the story.

Better, more impactful view into the outside world when you first see it.

More explosive, and engaging (as far as the action is concerned) endgame with the giant robot thing fucking things up on a huge scale.

The DC area is cooler than any area in New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas:

The faction stuff is a very neat idea that makes the ending splinter in major ways.

The story, especially the endgame, is great.

The dark humor from the originals is back.

The references to Fallout 1 and 2 are great.

The people reacting to your outfits is a neat idea, even though I am the first to admit I didn't use the system all that much.

More quests that are often better.

Fantastic writing.

Milo_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Milo_o

I had more fun playing Fallout 3.

I did like the idea of large factions in New Vegas, but that was it. No matter how much I wanted to like New Vegas, (and I really really tried), I just couldn't get into it. I bought one of the DLCs to try and make something interesting happen and it just failed like the rest of the game.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Terramagi

New Vegas is better, simply for the fact that it's written by the same people who made Fallout 1 and 2.

I'll still never get over the fact that Bethesda clearly has no idea how the passage of time works. 200 years after the apocalypse, DC is STILL foraging in supermarkets. I could see if it was set at the same time as Fallout 1 (75 years after the Great War), but 200 years? The biggest settlement is an irradiated pool around an unexploded bomb? Are you kidding me? Same problem with WInterhold in Skyrim, really... 80 years after the Great Collapse, and nobody's even ATTEMPTED to rebuild. Meanwhile, the Mojave is, while the frontier of NCR civilization, respectable in the grand scheme of things.

I guess it all boils back down to the two themes of the Fallout universe. One, of course, is that "war never changes". Humanity will always be jerks to each other. The other, of course, is that despite all the conflict, humanity will always rebuild. Civilization will return.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I love both games but New Vegas is better.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#124  Edited By aleryn

New Vegas has better writing, combat, and just overall feel than Fallout 3 did. I put roughly 130 hours into Fallout 3 and about 50 so far into New Vegas. A nice plus of NV over 3 is that it lacks the obnoxious parody feel Bethesda imparted on their game with some of the quests and writing. Probably the difference of having original team members doing the writing/etc of NV. Although I'll warn you that New Vegas starts out slow. I didn't really like it much until I hit about level 15. Awesome after that.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By mandude

Good to see this thread is still going.

I masturbate to Fallout: New Vegas three times a night, so I'd say it's pretty good, yeah.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mitsuko_souma

The correct answer is that they are equally bad games.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128  Edited By gaminghooligan

mixed bag, feel like the mechanics at play in new vegas (glitches aside) were more in depth, but fallour fallout 3 had the better story imo

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lmenzol

@GameReviews: play fallout 3 the environment is more interesting plus your not gonna want to play new vegas first then play fallout 3 and expect some of the things in new vegas to be in fallout 3

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Mixwizzard

New Vegas. I felt like F3 was little clunky sometimes and the annoying large walls of debris that block the simplest path to where your going was dumb.

New Vegas is what F3 should've been.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Clonedzero

New Vegas is a better game. its better written, better characters, better gameplay, better and deeper mechanics, better weapons, better quests, better story. i could keep going but you get the point.

THOUGH, i had alot more fun and replayed FO3 alot more than i did new vegas. i played through fallout 3 like 5 times. i played through new vegas like once and ahalf? why? i dunno. new vegas is the better game.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#132  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Terramagi: I never thought about the 200 year gap, it IS sort of weird if you wanna sit and think about it for a while I guess. Tamriel will always be a medevil/fantasy setting where people live in tents and castles no mattter then length of time, so why is it hard to believe a town doesn't want to rebuild the structure they believe destroyed them before, they DID rebuild their town.. just not the stuff surrounding the magic structure they think blew up etc.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

mixed bag, feel like the mechanics at play in new vegas (glitches aside) were more in depth, but fallour fallout 3 had the better story imo

Which is why if you own both on PC, you get this.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Ghostiet
    @gaminghooligan said:

fallout 3 had the better story imo

That's... wow. I kinda don't have a retort to that.
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#135  Edited By Humanity

I'm gonna be that one old grandpa that shuffles along and says you should just play Fallout 2 instead. I know it's dumb but thats what my heart tells me to do. Could not find less personality than Fallout 3 in MY humble opinion.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By TwoLines

New Vegas is much, much... MUCH better than F3. MUCH better. It's my favourite Bethesda game. There are so many options, the dialogue is deep and new information opens up the dialogue trees. Not only that, your standing with the factions can change the whole dialogue tree. You can also kill every damn person in that game, except for one. None of that "So and so is needed to complete a quest" shit. No. F:NV goes rough on you for the mistakes you make, but rewardingly so.

The endings are superbly done, you ALWAYS get info on a quest, no matter what happened, and the narrator tells you what's what. Most of the characters are deep and interesting and the quests are amazing. Sometimes they don't have a happy ending. Well, most of the time. More often than not it's a choice between different shades of grey. Your companions also have noteworthy quests, like Lilly or Veronica, both quests are really cool and have great conclusions. Also, each complanion, faction, and most towns have their own endings. A couple of them in fact, up to 6 or 7 different endings depending on what you did!

The game has flaws, but these flaws are present in F3 also. What F:NV does, is raise the bar. Companions? Better. Quests? You bet your ass the quests are better. None of that A or B type of stuff. Yuck. Characters? Better. The world? Matter of preference, but I feel this world is very much unique, and F3's was bland. That last part was just my opinion on F3 though.

All in all, second best Fallout game, (original Fallout taking the no. 1 spot) and best gamebryo game bar none. After this game, I absolutely LOVE Obsidian. Playing Skyrim after New Vegas... yeah, the dialogue tree is laughable, the quests are abysmal and the world is dull.

Take all of that with a grain of salt. I'm a big F:NV fan.

@Humanity: Fallout 2 is not a very good game. Fallout uno is where it's at. So much better at guiding you through the experience. Much more concise and it just knew what it was doing whole the way through. F2 looses its thread a couple of hours into the game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Humanity said:

I'm gonna be that one old grandpa that shuffles along and says you should just play Fallout 2 instead. I know it's dumb but thats what my heart tells me to do. Could not find less personality than Fallout 3 in MY humble opinion.

I like you.
    Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By Fearbeard

It's better then Fallout 3, but didn't change drastically from Fallout 3 which is why it had less of an impact.

If you liked Fallout 3 and want more Fallout then you'll love New Vegas.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Bawlsz

F:NV is so much better than FO3, most of which is already said, but I'd like to add that it got allot of the guys from the original FO1 and 2 guys making it, so it feels allot more like a Fallout game, much more than FO3.

Also Old World Blues better than all DLCs for FO3 and F:NV.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Humanity

@Ghostiet said:

@Humanity said:

I like you.

Fallout kinda ended with 2 for me. I had high hopes that F3 would satiate my inner fan after disappointing releases like Brotherhood of Steel - but alas like most Bethesda games I felt it had zero personality, a pretty awful UI and basically boiled down to following your quest arrow through locations that after an hour of gameplay continually evoked the sensation of deja vu as you passed the same props, tiles sets, textures etc. The Subways being the biggest offender.

I realize of course this is a super unpopular viewpoint so I'll shut up for the rest of the thread - everyone I know prefers Vegas to F3 though.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By Nentisys

Yes.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#142  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Humanity said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Humanity said:

I like you.

Fallout kinda ended with 2 for me. I had high hopes that F3 would satiate my inner fan after disappointing releases like Brotherhood of Steel - but alas like most Bethesda games I felt it had zero personality, a pretty awful UI and basically boiled down to following your quest arrow through locations that after an hour of gameplay continually evoked the sensation of deja vu as you passed the same props, tiles sets, textures etc. The Subways being the biggest offender.

I realize of course this is a super unpopular viewpoint so I'll shut up for the rest of the thread - everyone I know prefers Vegas to F3 though.

It's not really though. I think every true Fallout fan prefers Fallout 1 and 2 to the newer ones, but again it's a matter of preference. I still don't think Fallout 3 was bad, in fact I think it was pretty good, it's just that New Vegas is a lot better, in almost every way. Besides, try not to bash 3 too much until you've seen Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

@mitsuko_souma said:

The correct answer is that they are equally bad games.

Care to elaborate, or should I send some ex-KGB guys to your house right away?
    Care to elaborate, or should I send some ex-KGB guys to your house right away?
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Humanity
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By TwoLines

@Humanity: Tactics is better than Fallout 2. Just throwing it out there.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ShaggE

Replaying them both right now, I greatly prefer Fallout 3's world and characters, but I also greatly prefer New Vegas' customization and perks. Fallout 3 pulls out ahead overall (deserts are just so damn dull), but it's a close comparison.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Storywise! Fallout New Vegas is definitely better since its lore is much closer to the 1st two predecessors which we're written well. Though gameplay wise its almost the same save the mini weapon custom option and the melee vats animations which barely added anything awesome. I preferred Fallout: New Vegas much more due to the fact I was a big fan of the 1st two back in 1997 & 1998, and I primarily play the game for it's lore and story which Fallout: New Vegas delivers much more than Fallout 3.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By CptBedlam

@TwoLines said:

@Humanity: Tactics is better than Fallout 2. Just throwing it out there.

Haha not even close. Tactics belongs into the "mediocre spin-offs" category.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Yes in some ways, and no in others. Both great games though :)

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By TwoLines

@CptBedlam: Hey, I like turn based tactical games. I liked Tactics more than Fallout 2. F2 was stitched together really ugly. It lacked direction and was utterly broken in terms of ballance. Also- too silly.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Humanity

@TwoLines said:

@CptBedlam: Hey, I like turn based tactical games. I liked Tactics more than Fallout 2. F2 was stitched together really ugly. It lacked direction and was utterly broken in terms of ballance. Also- too silly.

You must be trolling because everything you're saying doesn't compute. Fallout 2 was the perfect RPG that didn't hold your hand and let you trully explore the world in a free form fashion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.