Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Is there an infinite draw distance mod?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I have a pretty bad ass computer and I play this game at max detail on my 46" 3dtv. So the only imperfections I really see in the graphics is the games draw distance. I hate seeing the game draw crap a mile or two out. Does anyone know of a mod or something where I can extend  or get an infinite draw distance?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

If you go into the .ini files in the directory where it is installed there should be various lines with "loaddistance". I have no idea if this is it but you could try changing those. 

Found this on this page while googling http://n4g.com/news/638178/25-best-fallout-new-vegas-mods/com#c-4486274 
     forcefullLOD=1 ( unsure if that is the exact wording ) 

Is literally a 0% performance hit for a 50% increase in objects on screen and a massive draw distance increase, the next one is. 

fBlockLoadDistanceLow=50000 

fTreeLoadDistance=40000 

Those values are a 10 fold increase in draw distances of other tress and buildings ( the first command only applies to certain tree types. 

Lastly, ( but not least ) is: 

uGridsToLoad=7 ( instead of =5 ) if you have a 5870, 470, 580 or 5970 ) 

Here are comparison shots between beginning and end results, these were taken with my 3 year old GPU with no AA... 

Before: 

http://img838.imageshack.us... 

After: 

http://img16.imageshack.us/...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah the max settings aren't super impressive.  Sacrifice had better draw distance 10 years ago. I got sniped by people who hadn't even fucking loaded onto the screen more than once. It'll probably get modded.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696
    @Jack268: If you did that, couldn't that lag the system? I mean, the game runs fine on max settings on my PC, but I'm afraid that if I use that mod that I'll start lagging.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

MORE TREES

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268
    @ch13696: Well it'd obviously depend on how much you changed the values. You'd probably have to fiddle around a little to find the settings that work for your system. 
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By landon
    @Jack268:  Why did the grass around you change places?
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268
    @Landon said:
    " @Jack268:  Why did the grass around you change places? "
    Not my screenshot, it's from the webpage I linked in my post.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @Landon said:
    " @Jack268:  Why did the grass around you change places? "
    You can tune down things like that in the New Vegas settings menu. Seems this guy wanted to create even more of a contrast by lowering the settings in the before screenshot. Still, I wish I'd played through with that on.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

I feel like an infinite draw distance would kill any computer. No matter how good. The game wouldn't even be optimized for that much data being processed.
    Or maybe your playing the game on Skynet or something. Or maybe I just have a horrible understanding of how computers work. (Likely) 

But Fallout Nexus should have something.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @ShadowSkill11: Sweet. Thanks!
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By nintendoeats

I can't see any way that this would be possible unless your graphics card had 2-3 GB of RAM to hold all of that data. Do they even make graphics cards with that much RAM? 

EDIT: duh I'm an idiot. I was thinking 4-5 GB of RAM. Don't know where that came from.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I feel like an infinite draw distance would kill any computer. No matter how good. The game wouldn't even be optimized for that much data being processed.
    Or maybe your playing the game on Skynet or something. Or maybe I just have a horrible understanding of how computers work. (Likely) 

But Fallout Nexus should have something. "
    Hey thanks for nothing ass hat! Too bad you were unable to make the jump into infinite draw distance... for a fps vs an actual simulation of infinite draw distance. I suppose not everyone can be born without having the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck right kid?
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @Jack268 said:
    " If you go into the .ini files in the directory where it is installed there should be various lines with "loaddistance". I have no idea if this is it but you could try changing those. 

Found this on this page while googling http://n4g.com/news/638178/25-best-fallout-new-vegas-mods/com#c-4486274 
     forcefullLOD=1 ( unsure if that is the exact wording ) 

Is literally a 0% performance hit for a 50% increase in objects on screen and a massive draw distance increase, the next one is. 

fBlockLoadDistanceLow=50000 

fTreeLoadDistance=40000 

Those values are a 10 fold increase in draw distances of other tress and buildings ( the first command only applies to certain tree types. 

Lastly, ( but not least ) is: 

uGridsToLoad=7 ( instead of =5 ) if you have a 5870, 470, 580 or 5970 ) 

Here are comparison shots between beginning and end results, these were taken with my 3 year old GPU with no AA... 

Before: 

http://img838.imageshack.us... 

After: 

http://img16.imageshack.us/... "
    That did make a big difference. I have an O.C.'d i7 950(4.01 Ghz) and dual SLI Nvidia GTX 470's. I just want to make my pc work for it.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Three0neFive
    @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " I feel like an infinite draw distance would kill any computer. No matter how good. The game wouldn't even be optimized for that much data being processed.

Hey thanks for nothing ass hat! Too bad you were unable to make the jump into infinite draw distance... for a fps vs an actual simulation of infinite draw distance. I suppose not everyone can be born without having the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck right kid? "
    Wow, you're a dick.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Three0neFive said:
    " @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Hey thanks for nothing ass hat! Too bad you were unable to make the jump into infinite draw distance... for a fps vs an actual simulation of infinite draw distance. I suppose not everyone can be born without having the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck right kid? "
    Wow, you're a dick. "
    I think this is supposed to be sarcasm... 

But its not very good.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Wow, you're a dick. "
    I think this is supposed to be sarcasm...  But its not very good. "
    Its ok, after reading it I only cried for about an hour, then I lol'd!
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Wow, you're a dick. "
    Its ok, after reading it I only cried for about an hour, then I lol'd! "
    (Dude, why did you bring this thread back?)
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Wow, you're a dick. "
    (Dude, why did you bring this thread back?) "
    I just wanted to say that I love quote pyramids.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Wow, you're a dick. "
    (Dude, why did you bring this thread back?) "
    I just wanted to say that I love quote pyramids. "
    That's because you're Illuminati.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Pretty sure there is, im trying to find that Fallout modding site. 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Either way, I think the game looks great. I'm not disappointed with that draw distance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.