It's already unlocked on Steam

#1 Posted by Orangefreak92 (60 posts) -

For those of you that have pre-loaded this game off Steam, it has apparently already been unlocked, instead of their normal 9-10am time period. 

Enjoy.

#2 Edited by juice8367 (443 posts) -
I've just spent about 2 hours with the game.  Its like fallout 3 but prettier....relatively.  Plus I've already found gear better than what Steam gave me.
#3 Posted by Gargantuan (1883 posts) -

This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 12 hours

Damn you America!

#4 Posted by Phantom_Crash (298 posts) -

I just played it on PC even though its not released in Aus yet.

#5 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Available: 22 October 2010

I hate Europe.

#6 Posted by Orangefreak92 (60 posts) -

...Perhaps I should rephrase my post...

#7 Posted by Karkarov (3185 posts) -

What I am curious about is why people who went into a store and bought a disc copy came home to install only to be greeted by some bullshit "attach this game to your steam account" crap.  If I wanted to play the game through #$^T#$^& steam I would have bought it off steam.  Their logo isn't even on the box anywhere.

#8 Edited by FritzDude (2269 posts) -
@Karkarov:
As i can understand It's for their own safety. Almost all games on PC goes through steam so they may check if you got a valid version and that you're not a "Yarr you scerwy dog" person. If you know that im sayin'?
#9 Posted by Sammo21 (3370 posts) -
@Karkarov: Same thing with Civ V; it will be OK...you're video game will play soon enough.  
#10 Posted by Karkarov (3185 posts) -
@sammo21 said:
" @Karkarov: Same thing with Civ V; it will be OK...you're video game will play soon enough.   "
You don't seem to "get it"  I absolutely unequivocally hate steam.  I do not even have it on my pc, I despise all third party bullshit.  Thanks for mentioning Civ 5 though, I haven't opened it yet so guess where it is going?  Right back to gamestop for a full refund.  If I wanted to play it through f'ing steam I would have bought it from f'ing steam.
#11 Edited by FritzDude (2269 posts) -
@Karkarov:
Or you can gift Civ 5 to me :)
#12 Posted by Sammo21 (3370 posts) -
@Karkarov: Oh I get it, I just don't understand it...but that's fine.  The rest of us millions will enjoy it because it rocks.  You can pay full price for games and not get as good support elsewhere.  We'll be here with good attitudes enjoying good games. 

Also, I haven't purchased a thing from Gamestop in about 2 years and I find I am better person for it, but hey support who you wish.
#13 Posted by Creamypies (4075 posts) -
@Karkarov: Did you get anally raped by Gabe Newell or something? What's your problem with Steam?
#14 Edited by Karkarov (3185 posts) -
@creamypies said:

" @Karkarov: Did you get anally raped by Gabe Newell or something? What's your problem with Steam? "

Friends list?  I have them coming out my ass already on youtube, aim, MSN, Xbox Live, PSN, yada yada yada, Achievements?  Never cared, never will.  Free games, haven't seen one I actually thought was worth playing.  Discounts?  AHAHAHAHAHAHA sure 5 bucks here and there.  Almost every discount they get is matched or near matched by a different digital distributor like Direct to Drive just about every time.  Here is the difference, those guys don't force me to log into their crap when I want to play my games, they don't spam me with advertisements when I turn the game off or on, they don't remind me to get my social networking on their community started up during loading screens.  I am sure you are getting the picture by now.

Oh and Sammo if you hate gamestop so much you may want to stop doing business with steam.  Who do you think I have to download the gamestop exclusives from?  Seems steam doesn't mind supporting them.  In fact in my entire box the only place you will see a steam logo is right beside the gamestop one on the pre order bonus card.
#16 Posted by Creamypies (4075 posts) -
@Karkarov: I guess I can understand where you're coming from. I just think you're overreacting a little bit. You can turn the in game notifications off. You can set the default tab to "My Library" so you never have to stare at the store page everytime you load it up. You can spend 5 seconds activating your social networking profile and never see those annoying messages again. It'd take you literally 5 minutes (maximum) to fix alot of your issues with it. And I'm guessing if you have enough time to play New Vegas, you have enough time to spare to quickly alleviate the majority of your problems.
#17 Posted by Driadon (3001 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" @Karkarov: I guess I can understand where you're coming from. I just think you're overreacting a little bit. You can turn the in game notifications off. You can set the default tab to "My Library" so you never have to stare at the store page everytime you load it up. You can spend 5 seconds activating your social networking profile and never see those annoying messages again. It'd take you literally 5 minutes (maximum) to fix alot of your issues with it. And I'm guessing if you have enough time to play New Vegas, you have enough time to spare to quickly alleviate the majority of your problems. "
And to add: The sales tend to actually be kind of crazy. I've gotten some high caliber games for half the price from a Steam sale. Yes, there are the odd sales that are "just" $5, but hose aren't the ones that people go ga ga over. 
#18 Posted by Driadon (3001 posts) -
@Karkarov said:
" @creamypies said:

" @Karkarov: Did you get anally raped by Gabe Newell or something? What's your problem with Steam? "

Oh and Sammo if you hate gamestop so much you may want to stop doing business with steam.  Who do you think I have to download the gamestop exclusives from?  Seems steam doesn't mind supporting them.  In fact in my entire box the only place you will see a steam logo is right beside the gamestop one on the pre order bonus card. "
Doesn't mean Steam is supporting them, means that Steam and the distributor of those games made a deal where Steam will host those files.  
All because one company does a service for another, doesn't mean they are in bed together.
#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I understand you not everyone likes Steam, but it should say somewhere on the box if it requires it. It won't have the logo, but it should have some text indicating that you'll have to agree to the Steam license agreement to play the game. Take a look at what it says on the box, and if it says it requires Steam just put it down and find a different game that doesn't use it.

#20 Posted by Karkarov (3185 posts) -
@Eisen:  @Driadon: @creamypies:

Yeap all that is true, in fact I never said I hadn't done most if not all of it.  There is a catch though.  What if I don't want a Steam Social Networking profile?  Hell.  What if I just want to play the game offline, god forbid?  I can't because you can't connect to steam offline.  Also I will point out that entering into an agreement with someone is the exact same thing as "supporting" them.  No one does anything for free in the real world, if steam is hosting a gamestop download they struck some kind of deal and money changed hands.  I also seriously doubt this will be the last one you see.

As for why I do business with gamestop...  Well the store I buy from was there before gamestop was anything.  In fact it was a chain gamestop acquired around 7-8 years ago and wasn't even officially titled as a gamestop (it still went by the old name) until about 3 months ago.  I have known most of the guys who work there and the store manager for over a decade and consider them to be friends.  That is the only reason I do business there because I am helping out guys I know.  If that location gets closed or my friends got canned well my business would go to someone else.
#21 Edited by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@Karkarov said:

" @sammo21 said:

" @Karkarov: Same thing with Civ V; it will be OK...you're video game will play soon enough.   "
You don't seem to "get it"  I absolutely unequivocally hate steam.  I do not even have it on my pc, I despise all third party bullshit.  Thanks for mentioning Civ 5 though, I haven't opened it yet so guess where it is going?  Right back to gamestop for a full refund.  If I wanted to play it through f'ing steam I would have bought it from f'ing steam. "
I hate steam too, all their games cost twice as much in euros. I bought civ at Direct Drive for 30 bucks while steam wanted 60-70 bucks for it... whats up with that. Still I just entered a code onto steam when I bought it off D2D and downloaded it on steam too... steam is seriously fubar.
#22 Posted by FritzDude (2269 posts) -
@Karkarov:
Steam works in offline mode. It's called offline mode also.
#23 Edited by Driadon (3001 posts) -
@Karkarov: You can use Steam offline; it has an Offline mode that you can enable whenever. After you enable it, it will ask you when you start steam whether you want to remain in offline mode. 

And of course there was money involved, but that likely was the game publisher paying Steam to host all of the exclusives, not Gamestop being specific over who hosts something they cannot directly control.
#24 Posted by Karkarov (3185 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" I understand you not everyone likes Steam, but it should say somewhere on the box if it requires it. It won't have the logo, but it should have some text indicating that you'll have to agree to the Steam license agreement to play the game. Take a look at what it says on the box, and if it says it requires Steam just put it down and find a different game that doesn't use it. "
That is a big part of the problem dude.  It literally never says it, EVER.  On the box it says "games for windows live" but it is not a game for windows live.  Steam logo, even legalese fine print is non existent.  The manual doesn't even mention it.  The only place in my entire collectors box that even mentions Steam is the downloadable "classic pack" code card from gamestop which does say steam is required to download it.  If you explore the DVD though sure enough steam installers are right on there and the first thing that happens when you stick it in is it wants you to activate with steam.  At least I don't have to keep the dvd in the tray to play it right? 
#25 Posted by Creamypies (4075 posts) -
@Karkarov: Of course they're all in it for the business. It's the real world, that's how it works. And it doesn't matter how well you know the people in your local Gamestop, that company is still worse than Valve. So by buying your games in there, you are supporting their cause. Which kinda makes any argument you have against Steam feel irrelevant. 

Also, it's 2010. Why would your computer be offline? (Disregarding any freak occurrences).
#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

What game DOESN'T work with Steam these days? It's kindof a given, and pointless to complain about. Also Steam is the only reason I play PC games anymore. I've stopped pirating games entirely because downloading them from Steam is literally twice as fast in some cases plus cloud saves which is great for my multiple PCs and OSes, and I never have to fumble around looking for CDs, swapping out 30 of them per install, and concern myself with losing them. Sure I lose a boxed copy, but that's a small price to pay for the maad convenience and ridiculously low prices Steam has with sales.  

#27 Posted by Sammo21 (3370 posts) -

Also, why complain about buying a boxed copy that gives you the right to redownload the game without the key or the disc ever again.  OH wait, that would be the definition of irrational whining.  My bad.

#28 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5276 posts) -
@Karkarov said:

At least I don't have to keep the dvd in the tray to play it right?  "

No man, once the game is tied to your account, you could send that disc to the fiery pits of hell and still be able to access and install your game without a disc until time ends (or Valve). Don't worry, Steam won't bite or anything, and once you get the hang of it, it really is a great service. Just imagine how happy you'll be when you open up steam and see that it's automatically applying patches and updates to your games, rather than you searching the internet for what you might think is the right patch.

The steam forums are a different animal, so unless you absolutely need some tech support from Valve, I would just leave that alone.
#29 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

All the Steam-enabled boxed games I've checked mention Steam somewhere on the box. I haven't looked at the box for New Vegas yet, but surely it must be there. If there's no indication of the Steam requirement, I think they could get sued for that.

#30 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -
@Karkarov:
Yo mang, theres an offline mode, works pretty well. Also most of the things you are complaining about are optional things that most people would consider a benefit, you can choose to ignore them. 

Aside from that, you say it said games for windows on the box but doesnt acctually include GfWL....  

have you ever USED GfWL? you should consider it a godsend that it uses steam instead....  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.