Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Lack of quality control, good job obsidian

• 52 results
    rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By rawrnosaurous

I'm playing through New Vegas and this would be a great game. If not for the inordinate amount of bugs that I keep stumbling through. Seriously, obsidian the frame rate has to go down into the teens while I'm walking through absolutely nowhere with just rocks in my vision? Did that radscorpion really need to be stuck in the ground unable to move until I killed it only to fall through the geometry? Do these giant ants really need to crawl upside down on the geometry to try and get to me?

What about the hidden valley area of the game where at night it's pitch black and I can't see anything. Of course until I take two steps and suddenly the geometry is lit up. Only to again become dark once I've taken two extra steps. What about the part where that radscropion continued to chase after me after it was already dead only to kill me because I ran out of bullets and couldn't fast travel anywhere because a dead radscorpion was chasing me.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I'm playing through New Vegas and this would be a great game. If not for the inordinate amount of bugs that I keep stumbling through. Seriously, obsidian the frame rate has to go down into the teens while I'm walking through absolutely nowhere with just rocks in my vision? Did that radscorpion really need to be stuck in the ground unable to move until I killed it only to fall through the geometry? Do these giant ants really need to crawl upside down on the geometry to try and get to me?

What about the hidden valley area of the game where at night it's pitch black and I can't see anything. Of course until I take two steps and suddenly the geometry is lit up. Only to again become dark once I've taken two extra steps. What about the part where that radscropion continued to chase after me after it was already dead only to kill me because I ran out of bullets and couldn't fast travel anywhere because a dead radscorpion was chasing me.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It is not just their fault. The people who allowed this game to be released are also at fault. 

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zegolf

Yeah, Microsoft has to be at fault for some of this.  They allowed the game to pass through their testing enough to get onto the console.  Also, Valve and any other PC certification.

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Xabu

Most of what you are complaining about is issues native to GameBryo as an engine and possibly out of Obsidian's hands completely.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

GameByro is also totally a ancient engine. I think its more than 10 years old now.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Let's boil this down a bit. At present the major RPG devs: Bioware-Bethesda-Obsidian. Guess who the bitch is in the relationship?

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zegolf
    @Xabu: Yeah, which kinda puts some of the blame on Bethesda, too, right?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @zegolf said:
    " @Xabu: Yeah, which kinda puts some of the blame on Bethesda, too, right? "
    They could try and fix their engine. 
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zegolf
    @The_Laughing_Man: Or, at this point, scrap it and start from scratch for the next iteration of games.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @zegolf said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Or, at this point, scrap it and start from scratch for the next iteration of games. "
    I still think someone is gonna release DLC to remove the ending of the game. Just like Fallout 3
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zegolf
    @The_Laughing_Man: I would agree with that.  Think of how much money they made when they released it for Fallout 3.  At the end of the day, they can tell us there's a "Real Ending" all that they want, but it's still a business and their ultimate goal is still to make money.
    Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Shakezula84

After experienceing video game testing for a year, I'd have to say it's very possible that all these bugs were known to the developers and were "No Bugged" to reach ship date. That also means they were probably working on the patch before the game came out.

I'm also a little familiar with the certification process. It's mainly stuff like "Does the game properly function when the player enters the Guide" and stuff like that. While game testing occurs at Microsoft/Sony, it's just for the purposes to try testing built in system features at different points in the game (unless the game is published by them. In which case I'm sure they have a dedicated testing team).

Long story short, Microsoft and Sony where made aware of all these bugs and both their very groups said it was fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone is to blame for this. Obsidian, Bethesda, Microsoft, Sony, and every single person who has bought a buggy-ass game knowing full well how janky it was. It sets an ugly precedent. 
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zegolf
    @Shakezula84: Yeah, look at the recent quick look at DJ Hero 2.  Microsoft obviously said that the near game-breaking lock ups after each song was ok for approval.

Someone should probably be scolded for that at Microsoft.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Soapy86 said:
    " Everyone is to blame for this. Obsidian, Bethesda, Microsoft, Sony, and every single person who has bought a buggy-ass game knowing full well how janky it was. It sets an ugly precedent.  "
    Thank you for bringing the customer in on this.  They wouldn't release shit like this if they knew we wouldn't buy it.  I'll buy this when I hear the bugs have been worked out, until then, they won't have my $50.00.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

Well, look at Obsidian's track record. Alpha Protocol, KOTOR2... I mean, those were some buggy ass games. I haven't played Neverwinter Nights 2--was it as bad?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

I wouldn't put the blame so much on the engine.  Oblivion was not as buggy as the Fallout games if I remember, though it did have the hiccups in terms of framerate and locking up feature.  But it seems to have been used in more games than these three.  Seems like its these open world games are to blame.  But then again, it feels like they maybe they took Fallout 3, changed it up and we get New Vegas, but that adds jank on top of jank. 
    But since this has more Jank than Oblivion and Fallout 3 combined, I have to wait for patches.  I want to play on the 360 for achievements but my biggest pet peeve is framerate.  While I could stand it for Oblivion since the world seemed to lush and full of nature, fallout doesn't exactly look pretty.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Animasta
    @Soapy86 said:
    " Everyone is to blame for this. Obsidian, Bethesda, Microsoft, Sony, and every single person who has bought a buggy-ass game knowing full well how janky it was. It sets an ugly precedent.  "
    I would buy it again, I am totally happy with my purchase, so f you :)
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

It's a good thing OP brought this up. I haven't heard anything about this. Not since 4 minutes ago, anyway. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The technical flaws in the game are really messed up but as has been said it's not just the fault of Obsidian that the game is so buggy. While there is a certain amount of blame they must take they're using an engine which has been historically unstable. Bethesda gave it the okay and Microsoft/Sony quality control also let all those glitches slide as well.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Krakn3Dfx
    @Laketown said:
    I would buy it again, I am totally happy with my purchase, so f you :) "
    Lol.

This.
    zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zegolf
    @Laketown said:
    " @Soapy86 said:
    I would buy it again, I am totally happy with my purchase, so f you :) "
    Epic.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By infininja
    @zegolf said:
    " Yeah, Microsoft has to be at fault for some of this.  They allowed the game to pass through their testing enough to get onto the console.  Also, Valve and any other PC certification. "
    Hmm, I know patches and games go through cert at Microsoft to make sure they don't fuck up Live and make consoles explode or whatever, but I don't think they do any bug testing. I certainly don't think Valve has a hand in this at all. ??
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Infininja said:
    " @zegolf said:
    " Yeah, Microsoft has to be at fault for some of this.  They allowed the game to pass through their testing enough to get onto the console.  Also, Valve and any other PC certification. "
    Hmm, I know patches and games go through cert at Microsoft to make sure they don't fuck up Live and make consoles explode or whatever, but I don't think they do any bug testing. I certainly don't think Valve has a hand in this at all. ?? "
    I am sure they get to try the game before release and have some say about if its released. 
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By infininja
    @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, if it fucks up Live it doesn't get released. It would be pretty expensive for Microsoft to have a full QA team run through every game on their system, and even more ridiculous for Valve.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marcsman

Patches have made developers fucking lazy. Name the last game you played that was not patched a week or two later after it's release?
    azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By azrailx

man im glad i have it on pc 
    wuts this frames or long load time issue u speak of?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

As another person mentioned in Jeff's review, it's amazing some companies like Obsidian and Rockstar get to put out bug-riddled titles that are critically acclaimed, while every other game that has a minor bug gets thrown under the bus. It's fucking ridiculous. GTAIV was the exact same way. I encountered several game-stopping bugs, and this one looks to exactly the same way, but that narrative, eh? Seriously.

LoLAdriankat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LoLAdriankat

The Gamebryo engine is just shit in general, and the fact that Obsidian were building upon Bethesda's game in the first place didn't help either. Bethesda have not released a stable game since The Elder Scrolls : Arena.

spooky138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spooky138

Well, I did know going into this there were going to be the same bugs/freezes/glitches as Fallout 3 (or Oblivion for that matter), so I guess I am partly at blame for pre-ordering this mess.  BUT it is over the line to have so many crashes due to just small technical items, such as when trying to repair items, check condition, use healing items - I make it a point now to save before even opening up the Pipboy. 

Finding several game killing errors in less than a hour and having to save before attempting most anything is beyond the pale, I would have waited another year for this title if it meant getting a FINISHED product.  This whole issue really makes me think twice about the next "great" game from Obsidian - to the point of spending my dollars elsewhere.  I guess this will be my "line in the sand" - no more buying half-baked games!!!  Give me a finished product or give me death!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Claude
    @Marcsman said:
    " Patches have made developers fucking lazy. Name the last game you played that was not patched a week or two later after it's release? "
    Wii games don't need to be patched. Sorry, they can't be patched. 

It seems the more connected the game is to the internet through its console the more it relies on it. I'm a PC gamer too, so that shit is important. But console games, I expect more or maybe a better quality game. And alas, times are changing, that's the way of being live.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shakezula84
    @The_Laughing_Man They get a say. The only things that will fail a game from passing certification are all Live related. Everything else can be passed.

And to let people know, every single game that comes out on any of the systems has to pass a certification. The three have a rule governing how many gamebreakers they will let pass cert. Sony is the easiest while Nintendo is the hardest. A game will only be in Cert for a couple days. The only reason why you'll hear stuff like "it's be in Cert for a while" is because they probably have a backlog.
    eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By eagles_band

Couldn't care less about the whiny little bitches like the TC. Go play your polished Wii game and I'll stick to FNV. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho

When you play the console port of a PC game, you get what you pay for.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
    @eagles_band said:
    " Couldn't care less about the whiny little bitches like the TC. Go play your polished Wii game and I'll stick to FNV.  "
    Internet toughguy gonna live with mom till he's 30. But here, he's king.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By valrog
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Let's boil this down a bit. At present the major RPG devs: Bioware-Bethesda-Obsidian. Guess who the bitch is in the relationship? "
    Way to ignore the good devs.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ClaritySam
    @Marcsman said:
    " Patches have made developers fucking lazy. Name the last game you played that was not patched a week or two later after it's release? "
    Darkstar One, Broken Alliance.  What do I win?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By jakob187

A game in the modern day wasn't complete when it was released?!  NO WAY!!! 

T_T

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RVonE
    @valrog said:
    " @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Let's boil this down a bit. At present the major RPG devs: Bioware-Bethesda-Obsidian. Guess who the bitch is in the relationship? "
    Way to ignore the good devs. "

Major ≠ good. At least not necessarily.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Diamond
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    Let's boil this down a bit. At present the major RPG devs: Bioware-Bethesda-Obsidian. Guess who the bitch is in the relationship?
    Bioware because they stopped making RPGs!  heyo!

But even if you're talking sales or quality, there are far more RPG makers than that.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @jakob187 said:
    " A game in the modern day wasn't complete when it was released?!  NO WAY!!!  T_T "
    Just imagine how long developers would take to fine tune their game without the publishers breathing down their necks. Then again just think how polished and unbroken a lot of these games would be if developers got to take their time.

I'm pretty worried about the future of big game development. As the industry grows and the competition becomes even fiercer, publishers will be trying to push out games left and right to make the most sales before the other guy does. With that I can just see people finally getting fed up with paying a premium price for shitty broken games.

This kinda sounds like something that has happened before....

REVOLUTION!!!!!
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Diamond:@valrog:        
    Such as? I specified major, ie. relatively big-budget releases played by a significant number of people. In terms of CRPGs, I'm aware of no other companies that fit this category, as I was excluding indies and niche European developers. I could've mentioned companies like Piranha Bytes or CDProjekt but they don't seem to fit the bill.
    My point was that Obsidian gets given a year to develop fast sequels because it makes economic sense for the publishers. A year isn't that much time really, especially when given a piece of shit engine like Gamebryo.

Meh, an undeserved bump for another shitty whine thread.
    rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rawrnosaurous
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Meh, an undeserved bump for another shitty whine thread. "
    Sorry you don't like the thread. Then again this was only a random blog that I linked to the game forum, your part of the reason people are paying attention to it as much as people have. I could care less whether someone sees it or not as long as it goes into intelligent discussion.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By warxsnake

its a perfect storm really... mix a shitty old engine with a developer that has no beta testers 

The game is still fun though.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rockdalf

It's not difficult to imagine the producers are the ones to blame here.  They don't get half the heat they deserve and a tenth of that the developers get.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gargantuan

Did I find the only working copy of New Vegas? I've played 25+ hours and I have encountered maybe 5 very minor bugs and one crash.

mcmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mcmuffin
    @Gargantuan said:
    " Did I find the only working copy of New Vegas? I've played 25+ hours and I have encountered maybe 5 very minor bugs and one crash. "
    ya I have 50 hours down and haven't ran into any large game breaking problems, most of them can be looked pasted or laughed at.  But seriously, people should just shut up and deal it. Just get into the habit of saving and have the auto saves on because this game is worth it even with all the bugs. 
    (note: I'm probably going to run into a game breaking bug next time I play the game, just because of what I said)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho
    @RVonE said:
    " @valrog said:
    " @owl_of_minerva said:
    Major ≠ good. At least not necessarily. "
    I would debate the majorness of Obsidian in general. And if major=/=good, he left off a lot of major Japanese devs and a couple European ones.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RVonE
    @ryanwho said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @valrog said:
    " @owl_of_minerva said:
    Major ≠ good. At least not necessarily. "
    I would debate the majorness of Obsidian in general. And if major=/=good, he left off a lot of major Japanese devs and a couple European ones. "

That's fair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.