Lonesome Road: What was your final decision? (SPOILERS)

#1 Edited by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

What was your decision?

I decided to sacrifice ED-E to prevent any areas in the Mojave from being nuked. I kinda wish I had saved before my decision, to go back and nuke the Mojave just for fun to see what it looks like. Guess I'll have to start a new character and find out!

#2 Edited by Aishan (1015 posts) -

First time I had a bug where I couldn't get ED-E out of the tube, so I had no option but to launch the nukes. I decided to give both the NCR and the Legion a treat.

It actually opens two new areas in the Mojave - the Long 15 for the NCR and the Dry Well for Caesar's Legion. Both are heavily radioactive (20+ Rads/sec) and filled with ghoulified soliders. There's a unique set of NCR Power armor in one and a unique set of Legion Centurion armour in the other, and a whole lot of ammo lying around if you dare to go find it.

Once I managed to get around the bug, my goodie-two-shoes Courier naturally stopped the missile and made peace with Ulysses. You can even go back to the Divide after and have a conversation with him about the Legates Lanius and Graham.

#3 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

I had no idea you could spare Ulysses. I killed him, which was a bitch to do.

Pretty cool that the nuking opens up new areas. Even more reason to check it out for myself!

#4 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

You can nuke the whole game??? heck yess i would destroy this game.

#5 Edited by Aishan (1015 posts) -

@Juicebox: Not quite, just territory outside and on the borders of the Mojave.

#6 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

@Juicebox: You can disable the missles completely, bomb Legion territory, bomb NCR territory, or bomb both. Since I chose to not bomb anyone, I'm not sure exactly which areas in the Mojave are affected by the nukes if you chose one of those paths.

#7 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

I didn't have the heart to destroy my only companion through Lonesome Road, so I blew up the legion's area (Dry Wells).

#8 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

@Dustpan said:

I didn't have the heart to destroy my only companion through Lonesome Road, so I blew up the legion's area (Dry Wells).

I considered that, and looking back on my decision, I should've done that. ED-E was a great asset in Lonesome Road. Plus, I was already hated by the Legion, so bombing them wouldn't have had a huge affect on my reputation with them.

#9 Posted by Catfish666 (191 posts) -

To my own surprise, I really fell in love with ED-E. Always found the "regular" version to be bit of an flying dictaphone with gun strapped to it, but conversations with ED-E in the hostile an desolate Divide lightened the mood considerably and reminded me of R2D2 in a positive way. Resourceful and sassy lil' bugger.

As for nukes, my pro-NCR grunt character sent them flying over to Ceaser's side of fence, but not before a moment's hesitation. I was really planning on capping Ulysses, but ended up reasoning him to come to his senses. On next character I'll let him have it though, I felt I was going mad listening to his existential and depressed rants throughout the hike to him, damn wasteland Morrissey...

#10 Posted by kms_md (45 posts) -

@Catfish666 said:

I felt I was going mad listening to his existential and depressed rants throughout the hike to him, damn wasteland Morrissey...

hilarious!

#11 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

I bombed the Legion... I have no interest in checking out the lands now.

#12 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

I didn't think America needed any more nukes so I sacrificed ED-E and didn't nuke anyone.

Also managed to ally with Ulysses in the final battle, which was bad ass, and made him see the error of his previous ways.

It's pretty cool. If you don't kill him, he relocates near the entrance of The Divide and you can talk to him afterwards.

#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Didn't nuke anyone, although it was kind of hearbreaking to see ED-E get destroyed. Those conversations you have with him where he sort of wobbles up and down when he's happy are awesome. Just that, along with the great audio logs made ED-E an actual, "living" companion. Although if i did nuke someone I'd probably nuke the Legion.

Another thing about Lonesome Road that i don't understand is,

There were some cool things about Ulysses, but a lot of stuff in Lonesome Road's general plot seems thin at best.

#14 Posted by INV2 (261 posts) -

Definitely agree that the plot was flimsy and weird. They let you create the future of your character and suddenly throw some prior history in there. Just comes off as awkward. This was my least favorite of the DLCs overall. I even liked Honest Hearts over it.

All that said, I speech-successed Ulysses down, and I nuked both the NCR and the Legion both. I didn't want to lose ED-E and I wanted to snag those unique armors.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@INV2 said:

All that said, I speech-successed Ulysses down, and I nuked both the NCR and the Legion both. I didn't want to lose ED-E and I wanted to snag those unique armors.

Same. Re-nuking the Mojave seemed like a fitting way to end my involvement with FO:NV.

#16 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

I saved right before you set the nukes off. I then saved after not releasing the nukes and sacrificing Ed-E. Now that I've read this I may nuke all the motherfuckers and get those armor sets to finish the game once and for all. I'm pretty Vegas'd out.

#17 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

Is the NCR power armor different from the other NCR power armors in the game? I ask because I found a Ranger safehouse in the base game that had NCR power armor in it.

#18 Posted by Honda91 (1 posts) -

Are you kidding me? I nuked the shit out of NCR and Legion while beating off to the thought of their faces seeing that bomb fall down. Can't say you're a true hoarder of all things Fallout if you don't have all the armors and weapons, but had four different characters so in the end was able to see each ending, but Motherfuckin Jones (first character) got the job done and turned those bitches into ghouls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.