Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

No Freeroam After Ending :(

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

So while checking out the F:NV forum on Betesda's site I found two interesting fan interview threads with the developers. They have some interesting answers to a lot of our questions so here's the link if you guys wanna check it out: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1096751-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/  & http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1098302-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/  . One answer jumped out at me though. Apparently, after the game ends...it ends. Forever. Doesn't seem like the devs want to make any DLC for continuing either like last time. So what do you guys think?  
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MistaSparkle said:

"
    So while checking out the F:NV forum on Betesda's site I found two interesting fan interview threads with the developers. They have some interesting answers to a lot of our questions so here's the link if you guys wanna check it out: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1096751-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/  & http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1098302-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/  . One answer jumped out at me though. Apparently, after the game ends...it ends. Forever. Doesn't seem like the devs want to make any DLC for continuing either like last time. So what do you guys think?   "

That they are gonna make DLC so you can keep playing. Just like they pulled with Broken Steel. When the guys did a quick look of Broken Steel. One of them had a real issues that this was pulled. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

I bet myself $5 that there will be DLC.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Oblivion the same way? 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Out_On_Bail said:

" Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Oblivion the same way?  "

Nope. After Oblivion you can still play. *It was part of you being the hero that Shiverng isles sort of played on*  Fallout 3 and Fallout NV are the ones where they pulled this crap. 
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Cramsy

They made it pretty clear that the last mission was coming up in Fallout 3. I bet they'll do the same for Vegas . I don't think anyone will 'accidently' finish it without having another save

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Out_On_Bail said:

Nope. After Oblivion you can still play. *It was part of you being the hero that Shiverng isles sort of played on*  Fallout 3 and Fallout NV are the ones where they pulled this crap.  "
    well that's why I said correct me, it's been a long time. I seemed to remember purposely not going after the main quest line so that I could farm all the other things, but as I said it's been a while. My mistake.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Cramsy said:
    " They made it pretty clear that the last mission was coming up in Fallout 3. I bet they'll do the same for Vegas . I don't think anyone will 'accidently' finish it without having another save "
    I am sure they will release DLC just like Broken Steel. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    You don't die at the end of Oblivion, so you can still play. In fact, after beating the game another quest starts where you wait for a few days and then you go and pick up specially made armor to honor your achievements.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I hope that they DO end the game and not allow free-roaming afterwards. 

I don't know why, but I'm sick of all the games that tack on all this additional crap of "hey, explore all this shit and do all this stuff AFTER you've completed the game".  I remember a time when that didn't exist, when you had to actually explore the world BEFORE the end of the game. 

Plus, I'll almost guarantee that something fucked up is going to happen at the end of the game, and I'm also more than positive that Jeff will be pissed off with being incapable of doing what he wants at the end of the game, and I'm sure I'll message him before I get to the end in order to have him spoil it for me again.  I asked for the spoilers on Fallout 3, though.  Man, was he PISSED!!!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By landon

I guess i'll do the same thing I did with Fallout 3 before the DLC came out, save before the last mission and do anything I want.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @Cramsy said:
    "They made it pretty clear that the last mission was coming up in Fallout 3. I bet they'll do the same for Vegas . I don't think anyone will 'accidently' finish it without having another save "

Yeah they say in the interview that it is VERY obvious when you're there. Always a good thing to no :)
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

This doesn't bug me so long as they make it obvious (like in Fallout 3) that the end mission is coming up.  It's not that big of a deal.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dustpan

I hope they do a Broken Steel type DLC for the game.

bard237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bard237
    @Cramsy: 
    "They made it pretty clear that the last mission was coming up in Fallout 3. I bet they'll do the same for Vegas . I don't think anyone will 'accidently' finish it without having another save"  
    I finished fallout 3 without another save once =(
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gike987

Just reload an earlier save. I don't see the problem with this.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @rjayb89 said:
    " I bet myself $5 that there will be DLC. "
    Why so low? I can bet atleast 50$ that there will be some DLC.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Well they better release those DLC quick smart because just like Fallout 3 I want to keep playing and exploring after the game is finished. If you're like me and you're a tidy freak you don't want all these listed saves and rather just have one so I'm afraid to forget to keep a second save before the final mission.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By jorbear

I don't mind, it will make the story and your choices have more weight and impact. 
    Well probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like in Fallout 3 there will be a mod out within a week of release that removes the level cap and allows continued play after the credits.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By slowbird

I'm okay with that.  I like the option to play after the end, but at the same time, the events at the end of Fallout 3 seemed more powerful before I was granted a magic "revive" from dozens of gallons of radiation.  I'd rather have the ending be the last thing that happens than have them retcon it with shaky explanations.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ

It will be interesting to see where they go with the DLC. I'd cream if they had a Seattle-based DLC.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gabriel

Dragon Age did the same thing.

TwelveFootFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwelveFootFour
    @Gabriel: 
    LoL yes and so did Mass Effect, and a lot of other games not made by bethesda
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Broken steel was a way better closure for the game than the original crappy ending. When I saw the slides I thought to myself, "WTF!"

Avatar image for deactivated-61a0d4294b961
    deactivated-61a0d4294b961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we  can't even run around and be honored to kicking the bad guys ass? That's pretty lame. I'd much rather work on 100%-ing after completing the main story. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do other quests after the main one. However, I think what will end up happening is they will allow free roam, but the story WILL end. 

There will be DLC, but it probably wont extend the main story. It may tie in to groups, for example: Faction A has an operation going somewhere outside the limits of the base game. Faction B is trying to destroy this operation, and depending on your reputation with Faction A and B that you earned in the main game will decide if you are defending or attacking the operation. There would also be a way to drop rep from A for rep for B and visa versa. 

If something like that were to happen, it wouldn't harm the main story, but still satisfy us as players. I also really like the idea of seeing an addon from each side =D

Just my thoughts

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

As long as they come out and make it obvious that there is a point of no return, I am fine with an end to the game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm pretty sure that I read that in this one they actually tell you once you reach the point of no return, so you can't accidentally screw up big time. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @Savv said:
    " So we  can't even run around and be honored to kicking the bad guys ass? That's pretty lame. I'd much rather work on 100%-ing after completing the main story. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do other quests after the main one. However, I think what will end up happening is they will allow free roam, but the story WILL end.   There will be DLC, but it probably wont extend the main story. It may tie in to groups, for example: Faction A has an operation going somewhere outside the limits of the base game. Faction B is trying to destroy this operation, and depending on your reputation with Faction A and B that you earned in the main game will decide if you are defending or attacking the operation. There would also be a way to drop rep from A for rep for B and visa versa.  If something like that were to happen, it wouldn't harm the main story, but still satisfy us as players. I also really like the idea of seeing an addon from each side =D  Just my thoughts "
    Did you ever play Dragon Age?  It's possible for your main character to up and die at the end of the game based on your choices, and yet there's post-game DLC that just pretends it never happened.  It's weird, disconcerting, and story-breaking.

New Vegas will have messaging indicating when the point of no return is reached.  If you want to do sidequesting, do it before you beat the game.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beforet

Wasn't Jeff's problem with FO3 not that it ended but that the ending was shit?

Personally, if they can end it well then I would prefer they do so.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX

I'm ok with that. It's save anywhere; make a save right before you have to commit and you're good.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Seems to be a pattern

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By RichardLOlson
    @hematurge said:
    " Just like in Fallout 3 there will be a mod out within a week of release that removes the level cap and allows continued play after the credits. "
    I hope this is true.
    Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Garfield518

Not sure why anyone has a problem with this, like it was something new - the original Fallouts did the same.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By AndrewB

A story-driven game without a hard ending feels shallow to me anyway.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SonicBoyster

Seriously, if the last mission of the game is like, "Press this button and you'll destroy all of New Vegas!" and you press it, you still want to be running around after the credits doing quests for some random shop owner?  Not being able to explore in Fallout 3 was agitating because of the terrible ending.  You die!  Even though you can send someone else in!  Oh wait, you sent someone else in?  The game is still over!  Ha!  I have more faith in Obsidian to make the ending worthwhile and impactful.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Chocobodude3

Its published by Bethesda  so of course they are going to make some DLC

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully

I think its hilarious how big of a problem this is with some people. Make two save files and alternate between them throughout the game, so even if you save during the last mission or something you can just go back before it. I am glad theres a definitive ending, usually when there isnt it just leaves thing weird. Like in oblivion you experience this huge even at the end of the game and then you are just wandering around like nothing happened at the end, its weird. 

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By huntad
    @Garfield518 said:
    " Not sure why anyone has a problem with this, like it was something new - the original Fallouts did the same. "
    Finally, that's what I was thinking this entire time. There were slides too...although that could have changed without any backlash from me.
    jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By jimmy5150
    @Garfield518: pretty sure that fallout 2 had free roam after the game ended, but like others have been saying, as long as it tells me about the "point of no return" I will be fine.  I usually tend to do all of my free roaming before finishing a game for the first time anyways.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By Portis
    Just keep another save handy so you can continue milling around once you finish the story. Still, what an annoying decision for them make. 

I'll be playing through New Vegas on PC (played through Fallout 3 on Xbox 360.)

@hematurge
    said:

" Just like in Fallout 3 there will be a mod out within a week of release that removes the level cap and allows continued play after the credits. "

And the reason for that is in the above quote. I sort of regretted not playing through Fallout 3 on PC, because it became apparent to me that I was missing out on some awesome mods. I did throughly enjoy the 360 version, though.
    digitaloctopi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By digitaloctopi

If I can get at least a solid 60 hours of gameplay I'll be satisfied. As has been said before I will cross my fingers for a high level cap and a very clear warning that you're approaching the point-of-no-return ending.
    Sethster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sethster

If you want to keep playing and exploring the wasteland, DO NOT READ PAST THIS POST. 

I imagine it will be obvious like this.  I don't mind the side quests after the game, its like being able to perform random acts of kindness (or evil) to pass the time.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By coaxmetal

As long as you get it on PC, someone will quickly release a mode that allows freeroam after the ending of the game. That mod was made for Fallout 3 long before Broken Steel came out. Also, you should play it on the PC in general, because mods. 

Edit: oh, wait. This has already been said. Well, more reason to stand by it.

Flooko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Flooko
    @Out_On_Bail: your wrong
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like the idea of the game totally ending but I also do as it feels more satisfying, so all in all I'm neutral.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hicks91

im hoping for a full on expansion pack rather than dlc but yeah i have no problem with this 
    itd feel sort of hollow for a game changing even to take place but how no effect on the world

Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pokechapp
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Cramsy said:
    " They made it pretty clear that the last mission was coming up in Fallout 3. I bet they'll do the same for Vegas . I don't think anyone will 'accidently' finish it without having another save "
    I am sure they will release DLC just like Broken Steel.  "
    Yeah sure but what if it is too late? I restarted fallout 3 because this happened. Also I had the PS3 version so I had to wait until the GOTYE came out to actually continue.
    Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pokechapp
    @jakob187: I think in past games it was acceptable to have the game end. But in a free roaming game like Fallout you should have the ability to keep doing what you want to do. In a game like Final Fantasy you should do all of the side missions before you finish because it will help you fight the final boss. Not because it is fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.