Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Playing New Vegas, but Not Fallout 3?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bulletstorm

Am I alone in being really interested in Fallout: New Vegas, yet having close to no interest to Fallout 3?  

The art style of a post-apocalyptic Los Vegas is just really  - intriguing. And that the city appears to be alive makes it even more interesting.  
    When I think about the art style about Fallout 3 - I just imagine green and rocks and smoke. Is there more to be seen in Fallout 3 that I'm missing or am I sane for thinking Vegas is more interesting than Washington. 

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

I love Fallout 3 and am really looking forward to New Vegas.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dogbox

There are a few areas of Fallout 3 that divert wildly from the brown wasteland setting, but not many. Mostly you're looking at some pretty drab-looking environments, but I thought the Wasteland looked pretty good, overall. If you're interested in New Vegas you should give Fallout 3 a shot - you can get it for pretty cheap in Ontario, so I'm sure it'll be the same everywhere else!

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

The Washington setting was pretty cool. There's a good amount of wasteland, tunnels, houses, subways, etc. The five expansion packs add a lot of new areas, too, like snow zones, swamps, beach towns, and so on. Since you can get all of them plus the original game for like 40-50 bucks, I'd say it's definitely worth a play.

I think FA:NV looks pretty damn cool, too. Can't wait to get some more info about it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

I can't blame you for avoiding Fallout 3, even after spending over 200 hours with that game, I was always displeased with the environment and how gray and empty everything was.  Judging from these images from this PlayStation magazine I have, Fallout: New Vegas looks like it's shaping up to look almost exactly like Fallout 3.  I'd post pictures, but imagine super mutants with wigs and Elton John glasses because it's just that.  Literally.  You could say that Obsidian is just adding icing on the cake, but hey the game isn't even out yet and I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah, if you're not interested in Fallout 3 you probably have no business being interested in New Vegas 

You will more than likely be let down

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

The whole "Fallout  3" thing is kind of depressing now when you think of it, the whole atmosphere of the game. Where as New Vegas looks like it will be a lot more atmospheric and make you feel more not-so-lonely.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DystopiaX
    @BulletStorm said:
    " Am I alone in being really interested in Fallout: New Vegas, yet having close to no interest to Fallout 3?   The art style of a post-apocalyptic Los Vegas is just really  - intriguing. And that the city appears to be alive makes it even more interesting.  When I think about the art style about Fallout 3 - I just imagine green and rocks and smoke. Is there more to be seen in Fallout 3 that I'm missing or am I sane for thinking Vegas is more interesting than Washington.  "
    they're running on the same engine, doing almost the same things-VATS, running around exploring and killing thing but with realism mode, different setting/characters/missions, so unless the only reason you hate Fallout 3 is the setting, you will be disappointed.
    bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By bulletstorm

Consensus is - Art style is new. Gameplay is not. 

I can live with that - but I guess I should go ahead and treat myself to Fallout 3 - or at least a friend's copy. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Fallout 3 is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. You should play it. Originally I thought the bleak, desolate post-apocalyptic setting looked boring and depressing. Now, after about 120 hours of playing Fallout 3 (and still counting), I can say that I absolutely love the game's setting. The Capital Wasteland is definitely one of the game's strongest aspects.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike
    @BulletStorm said:
    " Consensus is - Art style is new. Gameplay is not.  I can live with that - but I guess I should go ahead and treat myself to Fallout 3 - or at least a friend's copy.  "
    That's a good idea. If you can borrow a friend's copy of Fallout 3, at least you'll know whether you will like the gameplay of New Vegas or not. I believe it's going to be essentially the same as Fallout 3. 

I owned Fallout 3 for about a year before I actually played more than the first hour or so of it. The game really starts to pick up after about three or four hours of play, it's not a game that immediately hooked me into loving it.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Fallout 3 is an awesome game. Just my two cents.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shirogane

You're not the only one. For some reason i didn't get past...Megaton i think it was. 

Although, i was totally sick and messed up at the time, maybe i'll give it another try and see how that goes. But really, the look of the world and enviroments wasn't much to my liking. New Vegas looks awesome though.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dustpan

I really love Fallout 3 and sank 100+ hours into that game and I'm looking forward to Fallout 3. But if you didn't like Fallout 3  you're not going to like this either.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Alphiehyr

My brain is too tired for this.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By MrSnow

Proberly but don't worry about it. 

Someone que the be happy song.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donkeycow

It's true, fallout 3 is nothing but dirt, rocks, and ruins, but it does its dirt, rocks, and ruins very well. :p  Additionally, i think fallout 3 is a game you need to play to properly appreciate. The atmosphere is what makes the game, and you cannot experience that by reading reviews or watching a few gameplay videos.  However, i can agree that the New Vegas setting does look a little more diverse and lively.

MoneyLaunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MoneyLaunderer

Many people don't give Fallout 3 a chance because they consider the beginning slow. I felt that way initially, but once you get your character set up and make it to Megaton, the game starts to pick up. And the main story isn't where the game shines. It's in the side missions, exploration, and character interaction. Rolling up on the Capital building and owning some super mutants was one of the most fun I've had playing any game. Really hoping New Vegas takes it to the next level.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gike987

Obsidian is better at writing dialog and story  than Bethesda,  so the story will probably be better. Other than that I think it will play pretty much the same.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uniform

I felt the same way. The setting of the game just didn't seem interesting to me. To me it was just a drab boring setting. I'm getting the same vibe from RDR, as I'm not too fond of the Old western setting. Of course I'm wrong, but I seem to equate these settings to nothing to do. 

You can see by my achievements I barely did anything with the 360 version loaned to me. Enter round 2. I purchased it last week when I saw the PC GotY edition. I suppose all the DLC included caught my interest. Currently playing it, and I'm absolutely loving this game. I don't know what went wrong when I had the 360 version. I guess you just need to approach the game with the right frame of mind. Heck, I'm even having fun just traveling across the wasteland taking in the setting, visiting different locations.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @BulletStorm: 
    i suggest you play fallout 3. you can probably get a used copy cheap. and the game is great. at the most you can figure out if the gameplay style is something youd be willing to spend 100 hours on or not.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Fallout 3 was a great game, play it long enough and you can be easily sucked into the game for well over 90 hours, my playtime anyways. Since New Vegas probably won't come out till either the end of this year or early next year you have time to play through Fallout 3. Besides it will determine how well you like the series and it's features.
    HombreGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HombreGato

No, yer not alone in this.  
    I was optimistic about F3.  I made it through eight or ten hours maybe, but can't bring myself to go back.  I feel that writing and humor have never been strong points of The Elder Scrolls, so it really didn't surprise me that F3 fell short of the original games at least during those Vault and Megaton encounters.

If I had nothing better to do, sure.  But I'll sooner play a plethora of truly top notch titles.  New Vegas will top that list the day it comes out, I'm sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.