Really *that* big of a deal you can't play past the end?

#1 Posted by Lamashtu (254 posts) -

It really does bug me that the Giant Bombsquad and even the guys at Rebel FM are so put off by the fact that you can't play the game past the official ending. I can totally understand why Obsidian would think it's not worth the time and effort to make a DLC pack a la Broken Steel for the reasons that there's a fuckton more variables that the expansion would have to factor in with a game engine that's infamous for its blunders in causality.

And, they do tell you before the end-game sequence in 300 foot tall neon letters "THIS IS THE ENDING OF THE GAME." Is it really that big of an issue to save before that point and not play that sequence until all the DLC packs come out? For god's sake, what excuse is that to not free-roam in that time?

Yeah, it's a minor bummer you can't see the consequences of your actions at Hoover Dam, but to do a DLC pack about that would mean rendering half of the sidequests you may not have already completed and maybe even completely wiping them all out.

#2 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I just take five seconds and mod that part out for the pc version. Although I've not come anywhere close actually beating the game.

#3 Edited by Lamashtu (254 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:

I just take five seconds and mod that part out for the pc version. Although I've not come anywhere close actually beating the game.

Exactly. I mean, I think anyone with a PC with the horses and half a brain should have gotten the PC version. I'd say that the utility of the console commands and with mods like Project Nevada out there the experience should far outweigh any desire for earning achievements.
#4 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2494 posts) -

No big deal for me. Just create a new save and play the final quests, revert back to your previous save for everything else.

#5 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

It's just kind of annoying more than anything. You would think a game like that would acknowledge that you've completed the game and how you handled it. Considering most of the quests in the game do some how, like radio updating with what you did. Not the end of the world but it's a bit weird.

#6 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I can perfectly understand where from a narrative and gameplay perspective ending it right there is the easiest thing. I think it's more the desire to be able to roam freely knowing that you've beaten the main quest and seeing what has changed. I think it's also a little bit of frustration with Obsidian that they seem to really be having trouble getting the DLC out in a timely fashion. It's been almost a year since the game came out and they still haven't released all of the announced DLC packs.

#7 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -
@haffy said:
It's just kind of annoying more than anything. You would think a game like that would acknowledge that you've completed the game and how you handled it. Considering most of the quests in the game do some how, like radio updating with what you did. Not the end of the world but it's a bit weird.
The thing is that the difference in the change to the Mojave is huge, depending on the factions/decisions each player made. For example in one case the Legion Completely rolls over the area and takes everything over, establishes it's outposts, enslaveds everyone, etc  they would have to pretty much design a Wasteland 2.0 for every ending (neutral/house/legion/ncr) not to mention all the other minor permutations.
#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4741 posts) -

Nope. They pretty much tell you that you cant come back so if your smart you save and continue.  Really no big deal

#9 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

Back to saves for all achieves, and alternates, so no not at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.