Scrap Metal and Pre-War Books

#1 Posted by To_Ez_2_Own_U (32 posts) -

does anyone know if there is a use for scrap metal or pre-war books in New Vegas?

#2 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Dude, word. The second I started playing every last book and scrap metal I came across I picked up. It wasn't until about 5 hours in that I realized that I didn't know if they were even useful in this game.

#3 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Pre-war books also seem to be mostly worthless...

#4 Posted by guiseppe (2841 posts) -

I haven't played it yet, but I would guess that since they're in the game at all, there's bound to be someone around that will trade them for caps or something.

#5 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

You have to use scrap metal to reactivate ED-E in Primm. 

#6 Posted by Skunkboy72 (128 posts) -

you can always take it all and find a place to stash it.
I think Doc's house might be a good place to stash things, but I'm not 100% certain.  Maybe 75%.  I placed some items in a footlocker and fast traveled to primm and back and did some waiting and they were still there afterward.   Would be nice to get someone else to try that as well.

#7 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

You can melt scrap metal down for lead to re-load at benches. Not sure about books, but there seem t o be more of them here than fallout 3.

#8 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@Skunkboy72: Everything should stay where you put it, for the most part, in main areas like that.  The persistence in Fallout seems to be pretty steady.
#9 Posted by solidwolf52 (300 posts) -
@zegolf: NPCs will occasionally pick up dropped items
#10 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@solidwolf52: Those damn dirty THIEVES!

That's what makes these games so great, though, is the NPC interaction.  I wonder, if you kill them, will they drop it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.