Should I beat DLC before beating the main game

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

So I have beaten Fallout new vegas before but decided to start a whole new game about a week ago.  I still haven't set foot in Vegas yet but I'm level 16 and gettin near 17 and just bought all the dlc.  So just curious to know if there are some really good things to carry over before I continue. Thanks for the help peeps!

#2 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

YES YES you cant go back after beating the last quest!

#3 Posted by TheWyotee93 (180 posts) -

Old World Blues has some great weapons to use at the end of the game if you beat it first.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@Irvandus: I know that I guess my phrasing is a little off. Im askin if I should do it before I continue on all the side stuff and main quest
#5 Posted by TheWyotee93 (180 posts) -

Old World Blues has a great machine gun and a couple good energy weapons that i wish I had had throughout the game. Its a little tough at times so I'd recommend being at least level 20 (it recommends 15) before going into it but I think it's worth it. Oh and it has tons of XP. I went from 24 to 30 in my time with it.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

So should I play Old World Blues before any of the other dlc? BTW Im moving close to level 20

#7 Posted by JokerFrown (305 posts) -

The only thing to keep in mind is that Dead Money does NOT allow you to carry your items from the main game over for story reasons, and Honest Hearts caps what you can carry in.

#8 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

I'm almost level 23 and I still haven't done the DLCs or entered Vegas. Mostly just running around and exploring and doing any side-quests I can find.

Guess I'll be doing OWB then, since I do want some decent weapons. Most of the things I have are proving to be quite ineffective.

#9 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

OWB does have some pretty decent weapons especially if your a energy weapons kind of guy, it's also by far the best DLC for New Vegas. Honest Hearts was pretty good but I really disliked most of Dead Money.

#10 Posted by pweidman (2362 posts) -

Not necessary unless you are in need of uber weapons playing H/VH, or Hardcore maybe. Just get to lvl 15 or higher for them as the dev suggests. OWB is really great, the others are just OK.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.