Should I play this or finish Fallout 3?

#1 Posted by Deadmeat (94 posts) -

I know they are not really tied together, just in terms of time spent for amount of enjoyment. I bought Fallout 3 when it came out but after about 15 hours I fell off. I'm almost done the main story but didn't tackle much of the side content, or any of the DLC.  

I heard New Vegas has a better main storyline and able equal amount of bugs etc. I will say the DC setting in 3 is a lot more appealing than Vegas. Is there stuff to do outside the city in New Vegas? 

Thanks.
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10888 posts) -

There's a decent amount to do in New Vegas. But why can't you finish 3, and then play New Vegas? 

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

New Vegas is a lot worse for bugs. Several times I have turned the game off just because it is so broken. If you go exploring you tend to come across random side quests but overall I preferred 3's quests and setting.

#4 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

If you don't care enough to finish Fallout 3 than you shouldn't bother with New Vegas 

#5 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

finish fallout 3

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10888 posts) -
@02sfraser: It's been patched to the point where it's probably on par with Fallout 3 bug wise, which means it's still really buggy, but not at bad as it once was. Of course, things like bugs are subjective, because the game was fine for me (only one or two crashes) until near the end, when it crashed four times within my last hour of playing (all around the dam). 
Moderator Online
#7 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Play either. They are two different stories entirely, they just occur at the same time.
#8 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

With mods=Fallout 3;
Without (comprehensive) mods=Fallout New Vegas

FO3 vanilla has rubbish story, stick with vegas if you don't fix FO3 with mods.

#9 Posted by carminescarf (59 posts) -

Finish Fallout 3 then get New Vegas later. 

#10 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -
I personally thought fallout 3 was better. I'd say play fallout 3 then New Vegas
#11 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Haven't finished New Vegas yet, but so far it's kicking 3's ass up and down the street (and I liked 3 a lot). No real reason not to finish 3, I suppose, but I've found the Vegas setting SO much more varied, interesting, and entertaining than DC.  

I finished 3, but did very little side stuff and never felt an urge to go back. In New Vegas, I want to do EVERYTHING. It's completely engrossing. Buggy as hell still, yes, but it rules.

#12 Edited by Jeust (10547 posts) -
@luce said:

" If you don't care enough to finish Fallout 3 than you shouldn't bother with New Vegas  "

Yep. The thread ended at this point. 
#13 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Depends.  Do you like regular dogs or robotic dogs?

#14 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

finish fallout 3. 
#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14067 posts) -

I'd say finish Fallout 3.

#16 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" I'd say finish Fallout 3. "
finish like reach the level cap?  cuz the main story doesn't take so long to finish . 
#17 Posted by PowerBombYo (192 posts) -

If Fallout 3 only held you for 15 hours or so then New Vegas isn't going to help. Most of the appeal of these games, besides great dialogue, is the vast amount of exploration and side quests.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

New Vegas is much bigger and better than Fallout 3. Just skip 3, there's no reason to finish it if you have NV.

#19 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -
@luce:  EXACTLY!
I finished my Fallout 3 at around 70hrs... and I'm relatively close to being finished New Vegas now at 85hrs
If you only managed to play most of the main quests and quit after 15hrs...don't waste ur time buying New Vegas
#20 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Play 3 then go on with New Vegas. A lot of my friends had fun with Vegas, but they don't can never appreciate the mechanics in New Vegas as much as I can after playing 3.

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

I spent a ton of hours getting 1750/1750 on the xbox version... now I just don't feel like playing anymore Fallout. No regrets, though.

#22 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

If you can't finish Fallout 3, then I suggest you not play New Vegas.  They are a bit different in terms of story structure, game world and characters, but it still is the same type of Fallout experience.

#23 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

The end of both games are equally disappointing.. Stick with F3 strictly for the DLC

#24 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Deadmeat: They are both great games, i say finish them both, but i thought Fallout New Vegas was better,unlike a lot of people here apparently.
#25 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

I prefer Fallout 3, mainly for the atmosphere.

also New Vegas' last patch seriously messed that game up and I'm getting more crashes then before the patch so beat FO3, wait for another patch, play NV

#26 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Deadmeat said:
" I know they are not really tied together, just in terms of time spent for amount of enjoyment. I bought Fallout 3 when it came out but after about 15 hours I fell off. I'm almost done the main story but didn't tackle much of the side content, or any of the DLC.   I heard New Vegas has a better main storyline and able equal amount of bugs etc. I will say the DC setting in 3 is a lot more appealing than Vegas. Is there stuff to do outside the city in New Vegas?  Thanks. "
Another person that cbf reading Wikipedia.
#27 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

Finish both. What, you got better things to do?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.